• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling up saved registrations on older Yamaha keyboards
Hello everyone,
I would like to use Mobile Sheets (pro) from my Samsung Tablet S8 to call up registrations from my somewhat older Yamaha PSR-S970. For this purpose I connected the keyboard to the keyboard via a wired LEKATO midi interface (USB C ↔ MIDI IN/OUT). The connection is automatically detected and established when MS starts.
For the transmission of the MIDI commands, channel 1 was selected on the keyboard and in MS, "Keyboard" was selected as the MIDI setup on the instrument, and the setting "Generic" in MS.
With the commands for "Control Change" and "Program Change" alone, however, I have not been able to change a single registration so far, only one or the other XG Voice could be called up in this way.
If I switch on the learning or tracking function in the MIDI window in MS and call up a saved registration on the keyboard, a whole series of Sys/Ex commands appear there. They can be saved, but they don't work in the opposite direction, although the control LED on the MIDI interface signals a command output when testing.
My registration banks are all in the USER memory and their names start with a three-digit number. The only exception: at the very front of the first display page there is a folder for the protected ENTERTAINER software package, the name of which cannot be changed.
Is it even possible to control registrations (bank and place) on the PSR-S970 and if so, how?

in German:

Hallo zusammen,
ich würde mit Mobile Sheets (pro) von meinem Samsung Tablet S8 gern Registrierungen von meinem schon etwas älteren Yamaha PSR-S970 aufrufen. Zu diesem Zweck habe ich das Keyboard über ein kabelgebundenes LEKATO-Midi-Interface (USB C ↔ MIDI IN/OUT) mit dem Keyboard verbunden. Die Verbindung wird beim Start von MS automatisch erkannt und hergestellt.
Für die Übertragung der MIDI-Befehle wurde am Keyboard und in MS der Kanal 1 gewählt, als MIDI-Set-up am Instrument „Keyboard“ gewählt, in MS die Einstellung „Generic“.
Allein mit den Befehlen für „Control Change“ und „Program Change“ ist mir jedoch bisher kein einziger Registrierungswechsel geglückt, lediglich die eine oder andere XG-Voice ließ sich so aufrufen.
Wenn ich im MIDI-Fenster in MS die Lern- bzw. Tracking-Funktion einschalte und am Keyboard eine abgespeicherte Registrierung aufrufe, erscheint dort eine ganze Reihe von Sys/Ex-Befehlen. Die lassen sich zwar speichern, funktionieren aber in umgekehrter Richtung nicht, obwohl die Kontroll-LED am MIDI-Interface beim Testen einen Befehlsausgang signalisiert.
Meine Registrierungsbänke liegen alle im USER-Speicher und ihr Name beginnt mit einer dreistelligen Zahl. Einzige Ausnahme: Ganz vorn auf der ersten Anzeigeseite befindet sich ein Ordner des geschützten ENTERTAINER-Softwarepaketes, dessen Name sich nicht verändern lässt.
Ist das Ansteuern von Registrierungen (Bank und Platz) am PSR-S970 überhaupt schon möglich und wenn ja, wie?
Hello Rudy

PSR S970 should work like the Tyros keyboards did where loading registrations is concerned

Below is a thread in which I explained how to accomplish this some years ago

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...Tyros+midi

It is not possible to change folders when trying to load registration files from MS on these older keyboards.

Hope this helps

(Another) Rudy
Hello Rudy,
many thanks for the quick response. I am only now getting back to you because in the meantime I have tried a few things to solve the problem described, unfortunately without the desired success.
Either the PSR-S970 doesn't behave quite like a TYROS when it comes to MIDI addressing, or I'm doing something wrong. In the meantime I have made numerous attempts with CONTROL CHANGE and PROGRAM CHANGE commands and have only ever been able to change the first voice (R1). For example, the combinations of PC MSB, PC LSB and PG lead to the following results:
0 – 0 – 0 ==> R1 = GrandPiano (XG Voice)
0 – 1 - 0 ==> R1 = GrandPiano KSP (XG Voice)
8 – 0 – 0 ==> R1 = NylonGuitar (XG Voice)
8 – 0 – 1 ==> R1 = SteelGuitar (MegaVoice)
8 – 0 – 2 ==> R1 = HighStringGuitar (MegaVoice)
63 - 1 - 0 to 63 -1 - 49 R1= OrganVoice(s) from VoiceExpansionPack
104 - 0 - 1 ==> R1 = CoolHardPiano (User Pack)
Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to call up a registration or at least a style with this command combination. What could help?
Rudy,

I used to own a PSR S770 and it worked on that, so it should also work on a PSR S970.

Did you follow the instructions of the post I wrote back in 2015 ?

Rudy