• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image Quality
I've just started using MobileSheets on my iPad Pro and noticed the "Image Quality" setting is missing in the "Display Settings". I want to make sure the quality of the rendered sheet music is the best it can be, especially on a device that can handle it. It does feel a little less appealing that forScore's rendering quality at the moment but I trust it will get better with time or at least provide us with the option to boost quality at the expense of performance.
The iPad version of MobileSheets always uses the maximum settings for image quality, so there is no need for a setting in that version. The images are rendered to fit the screen, so as long as you don't bring up the song overlay, there should be no reduction in quality (the score will be scaled down a bit if you bring up the overlay). I'm not performing any post-processing on the image that is rendered from the PDF though. I'm not sure if forScore does that at all. I am going to add features soon to allow images in existing PDFs to be improved though, as I will allow them to be run through the same image correction UI that is used when taking pictures with the camera. 

Otherwise, the differences may be attributed to the different PDF libraries that are being used. In order to have a consistent code base between versions (Android, Windows, iPadOS), I'm using a PDF library that is supported on all three platforms. It's very likely that forScore is utilizing Apple's PDF library which is built into the iOS SDK. If that produces higher quality images than the library I'm using, there isn't too much I can do about that, but without doing some testing, I can't comment more on that. 

One thing I can potentially allow is rendering pages at a higher resolution than normal (providing a multiplier for the rendered image size). The rendered image would then be scaled down to fit the screen. In theory this could produce crisper images at the expense of memory and rendering time. I would have to test it before knowing if it would be worth the cost though. I'll also see if there any adjustments that can be made to sharpen the images a little bit.

Mike