• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to handle sonmgs with same titel?
Hi,
I am playing in an orchestra. So I have e.g. "Hungarian Dance No. 5" for "Violin", "Cello" and "Trumpet". This is my workflow, wich suites my needs very well:
- create ONE Pdf-File with all parts of the song
- create the song "Hungarian Dance No. 5" in MS. In the field "Stimme" (this is german an d I do not nknow the proper english wording) I use "Orchestra" to separate it from e.g. solo pieces. Select only the proper pages for the "trumpet" and set the collection to "trumpet".
- copy the song, change the pages and the collection to "Violin".
- copy again für the "Cello"
This is fine for me and works very well.

But I use two tablets in bookmode, so I have to synchronize the databases. And sometimes I run in trouble then. Sometimes I add new titles an have no problem while synchronizing, but sometimes I have. I can't figure out a systematic. Yesterday I opened the "Hungarian Dance" für the Violin, and on the second tablet it shows page two for the trumpet Huh . When I synchronize again, it complains about duplicate songs of the Hungarian Dance.

Now I tried to give every of the three songs a unique "Song ID", but this changes nothing. MS is still in trouble to distinguish the songs. But this was stupid: I change the "tablet connection" to use the song ID. This solved my problem. And created a bigger one: all the other songs have no song ID, and so the client tablet does not find the song.

Is it possible to give EVERY song in the library a unique song ID? This seems to be the easiest way to get rid of that trouble. Or have you any suggestions what could be easily done?

Thank you,
Pete
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro SM-T900 | MobileSheets Pro 1.7.3
I just use a 3 letter mnemonic  at the end of each song name  to indicate which group it is in e.g. 
Johnny B. Goode - U3A
Johnny B. Goode - MUJ
Johnny B. Goode - Pub

Over time, songs may diverge between groups, and this lets me modify a song without it affecting the same song in a different group.
You can still put each part into it's collection (in your case, Trumpet, Cello, Orchestra)

It sounds as though you are using a musical score that contains 3 or more parts and that you are creating a copy for each part.
In this case, you could use a .csv file when importing the score - each line in the csv file specifies the page range for that particular part. This means that there is only one physical copy of the file on the tablet/pc. I would recommend using multiple copies of the file if it is subject to change.

When creating songs, I think you should try to do all the work on the same tablet and then use that as the master when synching databases

I believe that song versioning would handle this for you (Mike has said that he will support this at some point but I've no idea what his timescale is)

I'm  sure there are other mechanisms but this low tech method works for me.

Hope this helps.

Geoff
PS: I don't use Song IDs or synching!
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6