• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Files tab ("extracting metadata")
Just checking to see if the lack of "tool tips" has caused me to do something horrible just to find out what an icon means. I've checked the manual and see no reference to the 3 icons that appear to the right of the filename in the Files tab. It's the 2nd icon that looks like a tablet with a little arrow at the bottom right corner pointing northeasterly. When I pressed it, nothing seemed to happen except a message appears that "metadata had been extracted." What it didn't say is how or where. I opened a Notepad and tried to paste my Window clipboard contents, but nothing showed up. What precisely does that icon do? Why would I use it? Did it add any bytes to any of my Mobile Sheets files? If so, how do I get rid of that unnecessary data? Thanks!

I remember asking years ago about tool tips and seem to remember that they're not allowed in the app format used then for the Windows desktop application. Has anything changed? Mobile Sheets is SO versatile and has SO many features (that often didn't make it into the "Manual" accessible in a hurry from within the program) that being able to hover over an icon as get at least a HINT as to what it does (so we can look it up for details) is becoming essential. Thanks again for an excellent program!

- Kevin

I've attempted to attach a .PNG screenshot of what I'm asking about.    
I am going to add tooltips fairly soon, although they don't really work on a touch interface (I will support long pressing on some icons to see the tooltip). As far as the icons in the song editor, that second icon extracts PDF metadata. If your PDF has no metadata, then nothing will have changed after pressing it. If you go to the Fields tab, you would see new values specified if the PDF had metadata in it that could be extracted. This does not modify your file in any way - it just adds fields to the song such as Genre, Composer, etc.

Mike
(08-24-2023, 04:20 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I am going to add tooltips fairly soon, although they don't really work on a touch interface (I will support long pressing on some icons to see the tooltip). As far as the icons in the song editor, that second icon extracts PDF metadata. If your PDF has no metadata, then nothing will have changed after pressing it. If you go to the Fields tab, you would see new values specified if the PDF had metadata in it that could be extracted. This does not modify your file in any way - it just adds fields to the song such as Genre, Composer, etc.

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Relieved that I haven't created new data taking up space somewhere. Is the "extraction" available outside the program? (so I can see exactly what it is)  Can you give me an example of the type of metadata that would be in a .PDF file whose songs were imported via the .CSV import method? I'm not sure my .PDFs have ANY "fields" in them other than what the file structure of the PDF format itself requires. Mine do however have .PDF bookmarks. I've checked on a song that I hit the button 3 or 4 times on and I don't see any differences in the appearance of the Fields tab for that song. I'm VERY close to understanding this! Perhaps it's designed for non-PDF files?

I confess that I had not thought of the "touch" issue with tool tips as I do all my drudge work in MS with a keyboard and mouse. Is it not possible to to detect a finger sliding across an icon without pressing upon it? That would be the equivalent of hovering a mouse pointer.

Thanks again and best regards. I'm at over 5,000 songs with only about 12,000 more to go! THEN the process of eliminating duplicates begins!!! Had to take a couple years off to move and am surprised delightfully at how much of the program I remember how to use!

- Kevin
The PDF extraction is just taking PDF metadata specified in the PDF and putting it in the fields in MobileSheets. If you are asking if there is an external tool that can view PDF metadata - sure, there are various free tools you can use to do that. Adobe Acrobat can view the PDF metadata as well. This only matters if you are planning on adding metadata to PDFs before importing them into MobileSheets, or if you happen to already have PDFs with metadata in them (which isn't very common).

You asked for an example - the PDF could have composer or genre listed in it, for example. I'm not sure you need me to provide specific examples of what would be in those fields though.

As far as PDF bookmarks, bring up the bookmarks window after loading a song, and you'll see a checkbox to display all the PDF bookmarks. That would be how you would access and use those. 

In regards to the tooltips, that would not be a normal gesture that anyone would normally think to do (dragging a finger over an icon to see more information about it). A long press is used in some situations for more information, but even that is still situational. I think the argument would normally be made that the icon should either be self-explanatory, or have text beside it, but there isn't always enough space on the screen for that, otherwise things start having to be placed into dropdown menus and become more tedious/slower to access.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I wasn't clear on whether the bookmarks that I add through JDFBookmarks are considered ".PDF metadata" for the purposes of the "extracting metadata" icon. I create such bookmarks on all my music .PDFs so that the file could be used independently if desired OR could be temporarily used in MS via the Bookmarks Window that I use frequently when I haven't had time to create a full .CSV for import. I looked carefully at the Fields tab on the single song for which I had clicked the Files tab mystery icon 4 times and I don't see any new fields or entries in those fields, so I'm guessing that my own .PDF creation workflow (from the Windows "print" function through the CutePDFWriter fake printer), then adding bookmarks through JDFBookmarks is not adding the kind of metadata that you're talking about and extracting. Happy to hear that it's not very common. Perhaps publisher-produced .PDFs of sheet music have some embedded metadata but I don't have any of those to check. Thanks again.