• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Folder and Sync Question
I am still a little confused about folder location and 2 way sync. I have a PC and an android tablet. Should I have the PC storage folder on my dropbox or does it matter? Is the practice to have local storage folders on each device and sync each device to a separate dropbox folder or should one device have the storage folder in the dropbox location and the other local?
Also wanted to know if sync was automatic because it seems that when I make changes to a song I have to sync the device I am working on and then sync the other device for the changes to update on the second device. Thanks for any help on this issue!
MobileSheets will always use the storage location for all of the files (it is listed under Settings->Storage->Set the MobileSheets Storage Location). Even if you import from Dropbox, the files are copied to the storage folder. If you use the Sync Library feature with a cloud folder, do not try to copy or move any files into the sync folder that you select - MobileSheets must be in charge of that folder and you should not try to modify it in any way. Just select an empty folder and then sync to it and MobileSheets will upload the library. 

As far as the follow up question, each device will have their own separate local storage folder, and you will sync to a common Dropbox folder. Sync is not automatic at the moment - that is something I want to add early next year, but it will have fewer settings/options, as it will be an "all or nothing" kind of sync.

Mike
(10-03-2023, 07:49 AM)aopenshaw Wrote: I am still a little confused about folder location and 2 way sync. I have a PC and an android tablet. Should I have the PC storage folder on my dropbox or does it matter? Is the practice to have local storage folders on each device and sync each device to a separate dropbox folder or should one device have the storage folder in the dropbox location and the other local?
Also wanted to know if sync was automatic because it seems that when I make changes to a song I have to sync the device I am working on and then sync the other device for the changes to update on the second device. Thanks for any help on this issue!
I decided to give up using a PC to access and manage sheet music. The MS Android version works very well, but it stores the database file in a different place than the PC version is able to recognize. The result is that interoperability is currently impossible or severely compromised. A full backup would solve the issue, but it is both time-consuming to make and restore and there are side effects such as losing file timestamps. To keep annotations backed up, I'm using the DriveSync Pro app to upload the database file to the cloud from a local folder, and to two-way sync the sheet music repository.
If you go to Settings->Storage and enable "Expose Database" on the Android device, then the database will be managed in the storage location, as long as that storage location is not on a removable SD card (I don't allow the database to be stored on removable SD cards). 

Mike
(10-03-2023, 08:17 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: MobileSheets will always use the storage location for all of the files (it is listed under Settings->Storage->Set the MobileSheets Storage Location). Even if you import from Dropbox, the files are copied to the storage folder. If you use the Sync Library feature with a cloud folder, do not try to copy or move any files into the sync folder that you select - MobileSheets must be in charge of that folder and you should not try to modify it in any way. Just select an empty folder and then sync to it and MobileSheets will upload the library. 

As far as the follow up question, each device will have their own separate local storage folder, and you will sync to a common Dropbox folder. Sync is not automatic at the moment - that is something I want to add early next year, but it will have fewer settings/options, as it will be an "all or nothing" kind of sync.

Mike

So just to make sure, I should select a local storage folder for the PC and the tablet each and then create a common empty folder on dropbox to sync to?
Selecting a local storage folder is optional - only do that if it benefits your workflow in some way, otherwise using the default storage location for MobileSheets is fine. As far as Dropbox, yes, select an empty folder to sync to. As mentioned previously, if you want to manually synchronize changes between your devices, you can certainly do that so long as "Expose Database" is checked on the Android device, but then I would recommend using the default folder on Windows (C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState) because the mobilesheets.db file is managed there, so you would have to manually copy the database file to that folder each time otherwise.

Mike
(10-04-2023, 03:14 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Selecting a local storage folder is optional - only do that if it benefits your workflow in some way, otherwise using the default storage location for MobileSheets is fine. As far as Dropbox, yes, select an empty folder to sync to. As mentioned previously, if you want to manually synchronize changes between your devices, you can certainly do that so long as "Expose Database" is checked on the Android device, but then I would recommend using the default folder on Windows (C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState) because the mobilesheets.db file is managed there, so you would have to manually copy the database file to that folder each time otherwise.

Mike

Thanks that helps a lot. When you do get around to adding auto sync I think maybe a "sync on exit" option would be good...thank you!
The automatic sync is going to sync every change as it happens, and other devices will be polling for changes every 5 seconds or so. The one thing I will have to measure is how much battery power this uses, and I might need to have an option where users can specify how often they want MobileSheets to poll for changes (users that want it to be responsive can use more battery, and users that don't need immediate synchronizing can save power by having MobileSheets check less often).

Mike