• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with sort-by-letter bar
Dear forum folks,
I'm having an issue in the past several months, and I'm wondering if I've somehow borked my MobileSheets settings.
I have a decent sized library on my device, around 1100 songs. On the right sidebar, there is a sorting bar where you click the letter and it jumps to that letter in the library (see image).
On MobileSheets, in the Pieces tab (and Setlists), only a handful of letters show up (Even though I have pieces with names beginning with every letter of the alphabet.
I've tried clearing all of the filters and I can't seem to get additional letters to show.
Does anyone know what might be preventing the full alphabet from displaying here?

https://imgur.com/a/cC8vhe7

Thank you and much appreciated!
JR
JR,

The song titles in your screenshot all start with a dash. If you start a song title with a symbol such as a dash, it's going to be put in the # category, which is all numbers, symbols, etc. So that's probably the source of your problem.

Mike
(10-17-2023, 04:22 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: JR,

The song titles in your screenshot all start with a dash. If you start a song title with a symbol such as a dash, it's going to be put in the # category, which is all numbers, symbols, etc. So that's probably the source of your problem.

Mike

Thank you for this -- your explanation makes sense but none of my files or song titles start with dash. Here's a demonstration of this -- 
in this shot you'll see that the letter sidebar doesn't show "D."
https://imgur.com/a/ygAM54o

When I open one of the "D" titles, the title is just a normal name that should be sorted with the "D"'s:
https://imgur.com/a/LhUtRrw

I have double checked that no filters are preventing sorting. I'm stumped about this -- I have not seen this happening until recently, and I don't think I've altered any settings that would affect this.

Thank you!
JR
Do you have one or more space characters at the start of each name? - this would put the names in the # group.

Geoff
(10-18-2023, 02:09 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Do you have one or more space characters at the start of each name? - this would put the names in the # group.

Geoff

There are no space characters in the titles -- for example in the second image, the D is aligned all the way to the left. And when I click on the # to sort, that title does not show up (only number titles are showing).
JR
I found the issue, user error.
In Library Settings, I changed the "Piece Title Formatting" to %COMPOSERS% %TITLE%.
I was trying to format piece titles the way I like to read them, but if Composers are missing in the metadata, the search bar excludes those letters.
This is clearly my fault for changing the formatting, but I wonder if there's a way to still sort by piece title if I select Name in the Search, or similar functionality?
JR
You can use a conditional statement in the song title formatting if you want it to include composer only if it exists, but otherwise only show title. This would look something like:

%COMPOSERS:${VALUE} %%TITLE%

This would only show the composer at the start if it exists with a space after it (to separate it from the title), otherwise just the title will be shown.

As far as your question, sorting is completely separate from filtering. You may want to put the composer at the end of the title, or in the caption field.

Mike
(10-18-2023, 05:15 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: You can use a conditional statement in the song title formatting if you want it to include composer only if it exists, but otherwise only show title. This would look something like:

%COMPOSERS:${VALUE} %%TITLE%

This would only show the composer at the start if it exists with a space after it (to separate it from the title), otherwise just the title will be shown.

As far as your question, sorting is completely separate from filtering. You may want to put the composer at the end of the title, or in the caption field.

Mike

This is great, thanks for your help.
JR
Great,
I didn‘t know about the optional Part either.
Very helpful

Regards,
Stephan
There is a section in the manual on advanced song title formatting, and it covers this in more detail. You can get quite fancy with the format string where you show completely separate fields based on what fields exist for a given song, or have different formatting depending on what fields are present.

Mike