• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSP 3.8.16 Navigation bar and cropping oddities
I've noticed a behavioural change with cropping. 
Platform is Boox TabX on Android 11 and using the Boox specific version of MSP.

I have a setlist prepared for an upcoming gig and had everything cropped to my satisfaction (nav bar showing).  Did the update from 3.8.14 to 3.8.16 and now the cropping was no longer correct at the bottom.  I found I had to adjust the crop line downward at the bottom to include parts of the page that would be hidden by the navigation bar.  Related to this is the cropped song display changes depending on whether I've just exited the crop screen or have returned to the library screen and then reopened the newly cropped song.

So OK I thought, turn off the nav bar and see what happens.  Cropping now seems to be consistent BUT the first time I go to turn a page by touching the screen, the nav bar pops up instead of turning the page.  Touch again and the page turns and behaviour stays that way.  Also when entering the crop screen, touching the screen to bring up the (whatever that display is called) to select the menu for the crop option, on first press of the crop option it shows the nav bar instead, then on the second press the crop screen shows.  This also seems to apply to all options in the menu.

I don't know if this is how nav bar behaviour has always been, though I doubt it, as this test is the first time I've turned off the nav bar (it's back on again now - all this double pressing is irritating Tongue )

For me the biggest concern is the change in cropping behaviour.  Instead of being able to specify exactly where I want the crop to appear I now have to guess and test a couple of times.

I hope this is a relatively easy fix.
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
Hello,

So, I have a couple of comments about this based on what I'm seeing with my BOOX Max Lumi (which unfortunately acts a little differently due to running Android 10 vs 11 depending on what settings are active). 

1) If Settings->Display Settings->Fullscreen Mode is true, it hides the status bar at the top of the screen. This does not impact the navigation bar at the bottom
2) If Settings->Display Settings->Dim the Navigation Bar is enabled but "Hide the Navigation Bar" is disabled, you will get different behavior for Android 10 and below versus Android 11 and up. On Android 10, this has no impact on the navigation bar at all due to the e-ink devices not supporting "low profile" mode which would dim the bar on older devices. On Android 11, Google changed the behavior, so it should behave similarly to "Hide the navigation bar". The major difference is that if "Fullscreen mode" is off but dim the navigation bar is on, the status bar at the top will be displayed while the navigation bar is hidden, whereas the "Hide the navigation bar" is an "immersive" mode that hides both the status bar and navigation bar regardless of how the fullscreen mode is set.
3) On my BOOX Max Lumi, the only time I saw an issue with the page being hidden behind the navigation bar was after changing the display settings. I reloaded the song and then everything was fine from that point on. This issue is caused by changing the "Dim the navigation bar" setting (also when I had hide/full screen active, then unchecked both), as it does not take impact until the song is reloaded. I have a fix in place for this now. 

Entering/exiting the cropping editor (or the song editor, group editor, etc) will display the navigation bar, but when you go back to viewing the score, it should hide it again. This seems to work fine for me. So I'm going to need to know exactly what settings you have selected under Settings->Display Settings (for the dim/hide/fullscreen mode options), and what steps you have taken that lead to a problem. I also need to know whether reloading a song fixes the problem. If your behavior does not match mine, meaning it's related to Android 11, then it would help to see a video demonstrating all of the behavior you have mentioned as this will provide me a lot of contextual information to help me understand what may need to change. This all works correctly on my standard Android 11+ devices, so if BOOX is handling the navigation bar differently than standard Android on Android 11+, then I have no way of testing this with my own devices and will need to rely on a user to help me test changes with new builds, otherwise it's a complete guessing game. 

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
display settings:
dim nav bar = off
hide nav bar = off (I use the nav bar features frequently, and the glitch with having to sometimes double tap things when it's on is too distracting)
fullscreen mode = off (I like having the clock and battery state visible, as well as quick access to changing Android settings)

With the settings as above, if I crop a song, then return to the normal display the lower part of the song encroaches, or crosses the lower screen border (the top of the nav bar), but I can scroll it up (the top now goes off the top edge) and down.  If I then return to the library screen and reopen the cropped song (reload the song) it appears as it should with the cropped bottom of the song displaying as I expected it should and I can no longer scroll it up or down.

I was first alerted to the problem when songs cropped in 3.8.14 didn't display properly after the upgrade, but I'm not sure what sequence of events revealed it.  I've tried confirming this in other cropped songs from other libraries and there is no indication of a problem until I enter and exit the crop screen.  Thinking about it, it is likely I was doing an annotation (VS indication) and needed to change the crop boundary to have room for it.

I hope this is helpful, I don't really have facilities to video things but if it becomes necessary I'm sure I can work something out, it just may take a while.  Perhaps there is a screen recording app I can use?

PS re-reading your point 3 above I wonder if your fix for that issue might not fix my problem too.  I seems to me that changing display settings happens when entering and exiting the song overlay, though that alone is not enough the cause the crop issue, I actually have to enter the crop screen for that to happen.
I can verify that with those three settings off, the problem does seem to occur as you've described, so I should be able to get this fixed. I'll push out a new build for the e-ink version after.

Thanks,
Mike
Good news, thanks mate.  Smile
The update for e-ink is available now. If you download the latest build, you should no longer see the issue.

Mike
Hey Mike,
you, sir, are a legend.  31 minutes between saying you can fix it to posting the update.

AND it works fine as far as I can tell.  I even tested hiding the nav bar and that now seems perfect too - no more double taps required 'cos the nav bar pops up when it shouldn't.

Thanks heaps mate.  Cool
Glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know that it's all working as expected now.

Mike