• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sync: "error sending database" / song conflict
Hi folks!

For the past week or two, syncing between my MacBook and my iPad seems to vary (randomly?) between:

1) "Error sending database to device" (see screenshot below)
2) resolving the same song conflict over and over
3) a regular, successful sync

I was doing two-way syncs a number of times when this started. I tried doing One way (MacBook/server > iPad/client) to see if it would solve the conflict issue. But I just repeated all 3 situations now, all with one-way sync. 

How do I get out of this rut and get these two problems solved?

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The first error is just a WiFi disconnection. I'm not sure I can provide anything beyond that - the transfer of data over the network connection failed.

The second issue is because you have multiple song titles with identical names and files. If you uniquely title your songs, you won't encounter that problem.

Mike
Thanks for the reply!

Quote:The first error is just a WiFi disconnection. I'm not sure I can provide anything beyond that - the transfer of data over the network connection failed.

Is it forming a peer-to-peer WiFi connection? If so, this would not implicate my router. I'm just trying to figure out how to troubleshoot this further.

Quote:The second issue is because you have multiple song titles with identical names and files. If you uniquely title your songs, you won't encounter that problem.

Okay, I should have looked for that based on the error message. There were actually 3 files of the same name on the MacBook. I assumed this was the same as an earlier problem I had which I think showed the two different files were just the same file, one one each device, with two different time stamps. And so once I picked the winner, the problem was resolved. I'm not sure how I ended up with 3 different files since I usually do a Swap File for upgrades. But I'm not going to worry about this :-) I will get a chance to sync to iPad soon, and I'm guessing this second problem will go away. 

I'll keep you posted!
1) Yes, it's just a standard TCP connection over the network between the two devices. One device acts as the TCP server and the other connects to the IP address of that server. If the screen on either device turns off, it will interrupt the connection (I'm assuming that's not what happened but I just wanted to mention it as this is the way Apple's networking stuff works).

Mike
Okay, I got my iPad and did a MacBook/Server > iPad/Client (Update Client) sync 4 times:

1st time: iPad complained about 2 of those files of the same name. I suspected it would still have dups on that side that needed cleaning up. I picked the newer of the two, and it finished the sync successfully, and no longer shows dups
2nd time: synced fine with no issues
3rd time: tried this to confirm all is well. But got the "error sending database" again.
4th time: same result as 3rd time.

So it looks like 2 different issues, and that the one issue is fixed and the other is lingering on. This pretty much never happened before recently. I guess I could try rebooting my router sometime; perhaps even though this is peer-peer, the initial handshake is not working correctly.
Okay, I probably shouldn't have been so optimistic about the sync being fixed. 

The sync no longer complains and I only have one file by that name in my MacBook. But now when I click on it, I get an error message:

I also noticed that on the iPad, I also get a gray screen when tapping this song; in the latter case, there is no error message presented; just the gray.

I tried doing a Swap File on the MacBook to refresh it from disk, but that doesn't help.

I didn't have too many annotations on there. I could probably delete this song completely and add it back into the collections it was in. But I wanted to raise the issue since it appears to be a bug of some kind, and perhaps I can help troubleshoot.
I'll run through some tests to see if I'm able to reproduce that issue on my network. The DataInputStream is the one complaining, so it's also possible there is some kind of error with reading the database file (like the database file being locked/inaccessible). I may need to change some of the logic for that if the error seems to happen more regularly with repeated syncs.

Mike
A swap file should have certainly fixed that... You can also edit the song, remove the file and add it back. The annotations should be preserved when doing this. If that doesn't work, I may need to have you export the song to .msf so I can test it out to see if I can locate the cause of the failure.

Mike
(11-21-2023, 07:03 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: A swap file should have certainly fixed that... You can also edit the song, remove the file and add it back. The annotations should be preserved when doing this. If that doesn't work, I may need to have you export the song to .msf so I can test it out to see if I can locate the cause of the failure.

Mike

Swap File didn't work.

But Edit and removing the file and adding it back fixed it. It also preserved the Collections. But the (one) annotation is gone. That's not a big deal, but just fyi.
(11-21-2023, 07:01 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: it's also possible there is some kind of error with reading the database file (like the database file being locked/inaccessible)

Good point. I should add that on at least 2 occasions I saw some error about error opening a file. I ignored those errors because I think they came after the "error sending database" message, and so I figured they were a side effect of the sync failure. 

If this happens again, I'll screen shot the other message, and see if that helps with the one issue.

Thanks!