• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genos and Widi Master
Hello,

Got Widi Master today, and pairing with MS was not problematic. All links I did previously with USB connection work fine.
I was also able to figure out and create several links with Genos, so I can call lyric on SM with loading my registration but it doesn't work when I want to call registration selecting lyric on SM.
Any ideas?
It is very strange that you can use the linking feature, but MobileSheets can't change registrations on the keyboard by sending commands. The reason is that the linking functionality requires a valid two-way connection - MobileSheets sends a request to start the linking feature. So I'm really not sure how that could be working, but the rest of it is not... Can you please verify that you see two MIDI batch commands in the MIDI list - one for sending and one for receiving?

Thanks,
Mike
After extensive testing using trial version, Android Version was just purchased! 
  • When I had cable connection, linking With Genos was on 1 click, and I was able to send command to MS to open a text, as well as selecting text on MS I was able to call registration on Genos. 
It would be nice if we can have same with BT connection. 
  • It would be also nice to simplify making new reg/ms connections as I'm not even sure what commands to select to make it work properly Smile 
  • What/how would you suggest doing page change from Genos to MS, Genos buttons DEC / INC are not sending any MIDI commands, unfortunately. 

I think that the below video may explain my situation a little better:

MS/Genos Video

p.s. Interesting is that i didn't have to install/use MIDI BLE Connect to make connection.

Thanks!
May be the same situation as with my WIDI Master.
--> MS receives data, but does not transmit,  no program change possible.

With USB all is fine.
Just an update. Not sure if it's important or not. I tried switching to google library but I'm getting message that it is not available on "this device" ?
If you are not able to use the Google MIDI library, meaning the manufacturer of your device does not support it, that's a big issue, as that's the only reliable bluetooth implementation at the moment. The "Legacy" bluetooth implementation uses an open source library, and relies on bluetooth LE, but it does not seem to work very well from the testing I've done. I'll try to test it some more with my SX600, but I'm not sure if it will ever work as well as the Google MIDI library, which is integrated with the operating system.

Mike
If you need me to test anything on Geno's to make all this little more smoother let me know.

Basically connection is smooth, no problems other than I can't get MS to send data to Genos (load registration on text select on MS)
New Finding! 

Genos Link function over BT actually works but little different from cable connection.
With cable connection, you can link already loaded registration and just press BUTTON 1 on Genos - this will create 2 batches/Link with MS
With BT connection, right after you press Link in MS, you MUST select actual registration you want to call on Genos screen and press Button 1 - only then Link will work, otherwise it fails (at least for me).

But calling/loading actual reg on Genos still doesn't work.
I spent a lot of time looking into this, and comparing the open source library implementation against the MIDI BLE specification. As far as I can tell, the messages that are being produced are correct. The CMD WIDI Jack (and WIDI Master) don't seem to accept the messages and don't pass them to the keyboard. In order to take this further, I'm going to have to capture bluetooth logs to see if I can compare the messages Google's bluetooth MIDI library is sending versus the messages from the open source library. Unfortunately, this is not something I'm going to be able to dedicate time to for the next update, but I'll try to find some time over the next 3-4 weeks. For most users, the Google MIDI library is the best solution as it seems to work just fine.

Mike
Thanks Mike.
Hope you will be able to figure this out for us with devices with no Google midi library.
I wonder if we can do something on our side to get this library activated/installed it or its something kernel based?
I doubt there is something you can do on your side. There is a call in Android you can make to check if MIDI is supported:

context.getPackageManager().hasSystemFeature(PackageManager.FEATURE_MIDI)

That is returning false on your device. So we'd have to see how that is implemented in the Android OS code.

Mike
(11-30-2023, 04:23 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I doubt there is something you can do on your side. There is a call in Android you can make to check if MIDI is supported:

context.getPackageManager().hasSystemFeature(PackageManager.FEATURE_MIDI)

That is returning false on your device. So we'd have to see how that is implemented in the Android OS code.

Mike

Thanks, Mike!!!
I Appreciate your inputs and support! 
I hope you will be able to get this working Smile
So I have some bad news - I was able to capture the bluetooth messages being sent with each MIDI library. The messages are nearly identical. In fact, the only difference is that Google's bluetooth library is not properly updating the timestamp for each message, but I guess other devices are pretty tolerant of the timestamp not changing. I did try changing the "Default" bluetooth library to send the same timestamp value's as Google's library, but this had no impact whatsoever. As far as I can tell, there is some kind of difference at the hardware level or something in the OS itself. I can't explain why an identical message sent from the "Default" bluetooth library doesn't work while Google's MIDI library does. I'm not sure where to go from here...

Mike
So I spent a lot more time on this, implemented all sorts of tests and changes, learned a number of things but the outcome is the same - the WIDI Master is receiving messages from MobileSheets but is not sending them. I actually had the same behavior with both the Google and Default MIDI libraries. So this actually seems to be a WIDI Master issue as far as I can tell. The good news is that with my latest changes, I was able to use the WIDI Jack with the default MIDI library, and it all worked! If you would like to test a build with these changes, please let me know, as it's as simple as just running an apk file. Maybe you'll have more luck with my latest changes. Things do seem to be working well with the WIDI Jack though...

Mike
Ups - perhaps the wrong thread.....

Hi Mike, I'm totally supporting any deeper testing.

We need to agree on:
- which firmware and
- the hardware revision of the WIDI Master
- which settings made in the WIDI app (e.g. due to 2  instruments with WIDI Master I need to disable connecting amongst each other)
- which settings made in MobileSheets
- paired or not. W/o pairing,  MobileSheets doesn't receive in the editor/midi menu 

How to receive the apk? Zipped per mail?

Helmut