• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face gestures
You said it's not as versatile as you would like - can you please provide more information on exactly what you were hoping to be supported? If you go to https://developer.apple.com/documentatio...lendshapes and expand ARFaceAnchor.BlendShapeLocation in the left list, you can see all of the different types of blend locations that are supported by ARKit. The Google library I'm using supports the same blendshapes on Windows and Android. Which of those blendshapes would you want to use that wouldn't trigger unexpectedly?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike

I'm not saying that it is no good - I'm saying that it doesn't suit my way of playing (too many false detections for gestures I thought I'd be able to use).
I would think it's ideal for someone who can use more of the actions e.g. playing a church organ where one is looking solely at the music and open mouth might be available.

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I'm assuming you already tried adjusting the gesture size to require a larger rotation angle. If that doesn't help, then yes, I think you are right that this feature may not be an option for you.

Mike
(12-24-2023, 04:19 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I may change the logic to require that the face is mostly looking at the camera in order to trigger gestures.

I wonder if you could have a face gesture to disable all other face gestures and then the same face gesture could turn them all back on again?
This way if you've briefly paused from playing and are quickly doing something else, you won't accidently turn pages.
That's certainly an interesting idea. It wouldn't really be disabling it like the touch/pedal action does though, as it would still have to be monitoring then for the action to turn face gestures back on. So I don't really like that, as the user might think they are fully disabled, but they really aren't, and this would still be draining the battery. So if I was to support this, I wouldn't use the words enable/disable, to avoid confusion with the existing options for that. I'd have to come up with other terminology for it.

Mike
Hi Mike

Would it be possible to use a button to turn on face gestures on a per song basis?
For me, most of my songs are single pages so don't need gestures, but I would like to use them to control scrolling in multipage songs

Having such a button would minimize battery usage and false detections (for me anyway)
I'm assuming that the gestures would be turned off automatically when the next song is loaded

Might be tricky to implement.

Just a thought

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
You can do that with a touch action (Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Touch Actions, there is an action for enabling/disabling face gestures). If there is a reason you want a button instead of a touch action, let me know and we can discuss that. It didn't seem like the kind of thing that warranted a new smart button action though - a touch action makes more sense as it's a global toggle.

Mike
Today was the first time I had a bigband rehearsal since the addition of the face gestures so I put them to the test.

They are working quite well but they need getting used to.

I learned I yawn too often during rehearsal to use the open mouth gesture :-) (which works fine otherwise)

I'm using turn head right and left for paging forward and back which works reasonably well.

Sometimes the gesture wasn't recognized the first time which doesn't matter much since the gesture can be repeated quickly and ususually it worked the second time then.

But I had still quite a lot accidental head turns (looking around etc.)

Mike. maybe it is possible to get an option in the face gestures config that the action is only done if the gesture has been recognized twice quickly in succession? I think that would avoid accidental head turns almost completely.
That adds a little bit of complication to the processing, but it's doable with a little work. I'd like to hear more opinions on this as well though, to make sure it's something more people would also like.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-11-2024, 05:29 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: You can do that with a touch action (Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Touch Actions, there is an action for enabling/disabling face gestures).

That's a great feature! I sit down and I practise for a while and I find the face gestures particularly beneficial. After a while, I might pause to engage in conversation, explore different pieces of music, or ensure my guitar is properly tuned. Thanks to the touch action, set to the top right-hand corner in my case, I can now effortlessly deactivate face gestures with a simple touch of the screen and reactivate it just as easily. Thanks!
Just gave this feature a spin on my Samsung Galaxy Book running Windows 10.  2 observations.  1) Even with the "gesture size" set down to 1, it seems like I have to make an exaggerated gesture to trigger the action.  Yes I know that at some point you can generate false positives if the filter is too sensitive but my experience is that it requires too big an action as now configured. 2) Mobilesheets crashes randomly now that I have the feature enabled.   No error message...just shuts down and disappears.
1) Do you feel that way about every gesture, or only a specific gesture?
2) Unfortunately, Google's library only lists Windows support as "experimental". The crashes are happening inside Google's code and I'm not getting any crash reports (due to the nature of the crashes), so I have no idea where exactly the crash is occurring, or what the nature of the crash is. I can't get the crash to occur on my Surface Pro 8 while testing the feature. I do have some small fixes coming for things in my code, but I'm not sure if this will fix the crashes users are seeing. You could try increasing the delay between processing packets to see if that helps. As it stands, unless I can figure out some way to make Google's code more stable, I cannot recommend using this feature in the Windows version for professionals. Hopefully I'll find some way to improve it over time.

Mike
(01-14-2024, 08:27 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: 1) Do you feel that way about every gesture, or only a specific gesture?
2) Unfortunately, Google's library only lists Windows support as "experimental". The crashes are happening inside Google's code and I'm not getting any crash reports (due to the nature of the crashes), so I have no idea where exactly the crash is occurring, or what the nature of the crash is. I can't get the crash to occur on my Surface Pro 8 while testing the feature. I do have some small fixes coming for things in my code, but I'm not sure if this will fix the crashes users are seeing. You could try increasing the delay between processing packets to see if that helps. As it stands, unless I can figure out some way to make Google's code more stable, I cannot recommend using this feature in the Windows version for professionals. Hopefully I'll find some way to improve it over time.

Mike

Yes, it seems like all of the gestures require more movement than they should...I don't see much difference between setting the level at 3 or 1.  Maybe it's just me.  Given the instability of the Google library in my environment...it is a moot point as I will continue to rely on my Airturn pedal which works great.   I really like your app...what great value for money!
I have a Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet with Android 13 and the latest Mobilesheets update.  I am having no success with the face gestures option.  Just wondering if my tablet is not compatible with this option.  Thanks.
The latest mobilesheets release seems to have cured the instability problem in trying to use face gestures on my Galaxy Book tablet.  Thanks.  I am still experiencing the same issue of having to make what seem to be quite large movements to trigger a response...even with the gesture size set to 1.