• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Files and Syncing
I have searched the help docs and the forum and not finding my exact situation. Maybe I've missed something? I'm using an older ipad with barely any space. Basically just using MobileSheets and not much else. Despite the lack of space, it's working really well and I'm not having any issues with the basic database - I have close to 2500 songs, a combination of pdf books, regular pdfs (1 to 4 pgs each song), and chordpro files. However, there's no space for audio files at all.

I have an android phone with tons of space (a 512gb sd card). I have successfully replicated my library on the phone and done a library sync to and from a folder in google drive. And I've added a few audio files, so far, to songs on the phone.

My idea is to play and sing from the ipad, have the same setlist on the phone and use it to play the audio from, for practice and eventually playing along with a backing track in performance.

The ipad being the main device, I want to add songs, make changes, annotate, create setlists, etc, on it, and then push all those changes to the phone, just so it's always up-to-date with the ipad. I want to add audio files (midi and/or mp3) to the phone only. I have added about 16 songs so far, but I have questions with the syncing before I invest too much time.

I do not want to lose any pushed updates from the ipad, but I don't want any audio files to go back to the ipad.

On the Folder Sync Activity window, I have checked:
Sync song metadata
Sync annotations
Sync MIDI commands
Sync groups
Sync notes

I have these unchecked:
Sync text display settings
Sync page scaling and display modes

On the ipad, Check for updated files in cloud folders is unchecked.
On the phone, this option is checked.

I chose "Prompt user for decision" (because I wasn't sure what would happen with the audio files) and it's extremely slow! I watched for the files that show up with audio, and then skipped it, because I haven't been sure what to do. I don't want it wipe the link to the audio file on the phone.

Could there be an option to turn on or off syncing audio files? If there were, and I turn it off, then could I choose "always use data from device" on the ipad (pushing the changes), and "always use data from folder" on the phone, to collect the changes from the google folder? Instead of having to monitor it, all changes would be received to the phone, ignoring audio, so they would all stay intact, I think?

New songs I've added are not a problem. The sticky bit is, if I have made changes to a song that already exists on the ipad AND the phone and I've also already added an audio to that song on the phone. What happens then? 

When the phone updates, with the "always use data from folder" option and it receives the changes from the google folder, will it delete the audio file link, since that won't exist in the google folder? If there's an option to NOT sync audio files, and it was unchecked, would that solve it?
Adding support for that is on my list of things to do. I'm not sure if I will ever support not synchronizing PDFs and other files, as that really wouldn't make a lot of sense to me (as so many features are tied to the file and number of pages available), but I can certainly understand why some users might not want to sync audio files given their size. Once I support this, the audio files will be completely ignored during the sync. If a new song is present on one device but not the other, the audio file information would not be present in the song that is created on the other device. Similarly, when synchronizing to the cloud, the database kept in the cloud folder would have no record of the audio file at all.

Mike
Thank you!
(12-13-2023, 06:24 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Adding support for that is on my list of things to do. I'm not sure if I will ever support not synchronizing PDFs and other files, as that really wouldn't make a lot of sense to me (as so many features are tied to the file and number of pages available), but I can certainly understand why some users might not want to sync audio files given their size. Once I support this, the audio files will be completely ignored during the sync. If a new song is present on one device but not the other, the audio file information would not be present in the song that is created on the other device. Similarly, when synchronizing to the cloud, the database kept in the cloud folder would have no record of the audio file at all.

Mike

Hi Mike, sounds good, but could you add the option to disregard audio files or not?

Our situation:
We have one main library with all songs, but no audio files.
  1. Each 'voice manager' downsyncs from that library to his voice library.
  2. Then he adds voice-specific annotations and voice-specific audio files.
  3. When finished, he upsyncs his voice library to the voice library (so there will be 4: one for every voice).
  4. Now the members can downsync the updated voice libraries, which include 'their' annotations and sound files.

Now I get a problem: as soon as a Voice manager downsyncs from the main library, he loses his voice-audio files (or gets all audio files if they were included in Main).
In your solution (audio files are ignored in sync), the members won't get their audio files, because they are ignored during downsync.

So: what I need:
  1. Being able to switch Off 'sync audio files' when Voice managers downsync from the main library to their voice libraries.
  2. Being able to switch On 'sync audio files' when Voice managers upsync their voice libraries that include audio files.
  3. Being able to switch On 'sync audio files' when members downsync their voice libraries.

Does this make sence?

René