• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wifi connected, clients not connecting
We have 10 windows MobileSheets laptops that mostly work great. Now on two occasions at a performance venue, the clients can't see and don't connect to the server. In the first instance, they would not connect, but I turned them off at intermission to preserve battery and when we powered them up again they connected. Unexpectedly, I noticed I was suddenly changing everyone's pages as would normally happen. In the second instance, they simply refused to connect at all. But, I did verify the laptops were all connecting to the wifi box I brought, and my server computer was connecting and waiting for connections.

When I got home, I set up the wifi box and turned on all the computers -- they auto-connected and worked perfectly as is the normal situation. I did not change any settings and did not do anything differently from what I did at the venue (as far as I know). I did verify they were connecting to my portable wifi box and not to my home wifi.

I can't figure out what is going wrong. I also can't figure out a work around to re-link them, as the server simply doesn't show up in the client connection window(s).

On the "good" side, they seemingly will re-connect with the last used setting on ANY wifi they are all connected to. So, I use my home wifi when I am synchronizing/updating/and for practices. I then use a non-internet connected wifi box I bring to the venue for performances. But, to be clear, they will all connect to my "venue" wifi box if I turn it on at home -- and also at various venues, where they work fine. It seems completely random where and when they won't connect -- except for the fact that when one won't connect, none of the others will either. It seems as though MobileSheets is not aware the laptop has a wifi connection at all in these instances.
When you experience the connection poroblems:
Have you checked that all the laptops and especially your "server" laptop have a good wifi connection to your "venue" wifi box?
I mean on Windows operating system level, without even starting MobileSheets?
E.g. try to browse the admin-webpage of the wifi box.

For me your explanation sounds like there are too many other WiFi networks at those locations where you run into problems, leading to fierce competition on the wifi spectrum.
I guess that your "venue" wifi box is typically located somewhere out of sight.
Maybe better luck if you place the wifi box somewhat in the middle of the performers?

You could check the wifi spectrum with some suitable app on your mobile phone (e.g. "Wifi Analyzer" on Android) to see if your box's wifi is too coverd by other signals.
Similar analyzer programs are also available for use on the windows machines.

Another alternative could be if you connect the laptops to a LAN switch using LAN cables. But this would (of course) increase the cabling mess on the stage.
And you need to setup a DHCP server on one of the laptops. Or use your wifi box's built in DHCP server. Or use static IP addresses.
Andreas
---------------------------------
MS Surface Pro7, Win10;  Samsung 10" tablet, Android;   MouKey foot pedal
If a "busy" area, perhaps use a different channel for the wifi box? (I'm assuming you can set it's  channel)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Thank you for the suggestions. Troubleshooting is problematic, as I don't have access to the venue(s) except at performance time and I only have limited time to "deal with it" before the performance is to start. I hadn't considered that the laptops could be correctly connected to the WIFI and also have signal issues. This gives me a clue of something specific to look into.

Thanks.