• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tap of number ignored when reordering setlist
Hi Mike

I've noticed recently that there is a problem when trying to sort a setlist by tapping a songs sort entry number

Display a setlist
Choose one of the entries and tap the initial number to change it
The number changes colour and the keyboard starts to show.
The keyboard immediately disappears and the full set list is displayed.
The same operation usually works on the second attempt.

However, before posting this, I thought I ought to upgrade to the latest version (3.8.22) to see if that also had the problem.
Having updated, I now get the keyboard appearing/disappearing every time i.e. worse than before.

Problem still occurs after tablet rebooted.

Obviously not a major show stopper as I can always reorder by doing an edit of the setlist.

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Hey Geoff, thanks for teaching me something new about MS.

I just tried this on my Boox TabX (Android 11, MS 3.8.22) but don't have the problem.
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
I can't reproduce this. Is your Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 running Android 8.1? I've tested on multiple devices including Android 9, but I don't have an Android 8.1 device.

Mike
I tried this yesterday after the original report (I am on Android 12) and saw the same thing as the original poster...

Then I went into edit set list and changed the order by dragging, saved set list, then went back to the original poster's instructions and the problem had gone away.

I just tried the OP's instructions again now and it still works normally now, so this seems to be something that can happen but is hard to reproduce...
(12-21-2023, 08:21 AM)Barrie Brailsford Wrote: I tried this yesterday after the original report (I am on Android 12) and saw the same thing as the original poster...

Then I went into edit set list and changed the order by dragging, saved set list, then went back to the original poster's instructions and the problem had gone away.

I just tried the OP's instructions again now and it still works normally now, so this seems to be something that can happen but is hard to reproduce...

Yes, I'm on 8.1.0

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Happy New Year Mike

I'm missing not being able to enter a new position for a song more than I thought.

Basically, I look for a setlist from a year or two ago and copy it to a new name
I then work through the collection for that group adding several songs to make it reflect recent changes (I might add 15 songs).

Having created a set list of many more songs than I want, I used to position to the newly created entries and type a 3 for the first song (to move it to position 3). Thien 6 for the next song, 9 for the one after that etc. This intersperses the recent songs among the older ones.

Now I have to Edit the list, choose the first added song and then scroll it to position 3 (about 20 songs away). I then have to scroll 20 odd songs to find the next addition and scroll that one to position 6 (another 20 places) etc.

As the keyboard appears and then immediately disappears, I'm assuming this is because the focus is getting reset back to the set list after the keyboard is initiated.

Cheers
Geoff
Android 8.1.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Can you try using a different virtual keyboard to see if that resolves the issue? I have no way of reproducing the problem you've described on any of my devices, and without a way to reproduce it, it's difficult to know what is occurring.

Also, while this problem might appear somewhat simple in nature, it's actually quite complex because there is code that tries to detect when the user does something like tap in the number field, then scroll the entry in the list out of view. In this circumstance, I have to forcefully end focus and hide the keyboard. When I did not do this, the problem is that views in the list are recycled automatically by the Android framework (i.e. virtualization) when they scroll out of view, but if the edit component is still focused when this occurs, the app enters a weird state and all sorts of things can go wrong in the logic and display. So I catch when the view is recycled and tried to hide the keyboard at that point. However, this doesn't work reliably across Android versions and manufacturers, because sometimes the order of events is completely bizarre and a view will get allocated, recycled then allocated. So I have to track the time at which the view was last focused, and try to determine if the Android framework is exhibiting that odd behavior with recycling then allocating the same object, and not hide the keyboard in that case. What is occurring on your device, based on the description, is the Android framework is recycling the view the second you tap on it, then allocating it some time after, but something about the order and/or timing is causing my code not to forcefully focus the edit control after it's reallocated. So MobileSheets will just hide the keyboard, then not shown it again because the code never triggered properly. So I don't have a good answer for this unless I can reproduce the issue and carefully track the sequence of events in the debugger to understand what in the world is going on. It's also possible my code is very quickly requesting that the keyboard is hidden then shown, but your specific device is not honoring the request to show the keyboard, and only processes the hide.

Thanks,
Mike
I should also mention that I've tested on the Samsung Tab A7 using the stock keyboard and it works fine on that.

Mike
Thanks Mike

Never used a virtual keyboard before so had to do some research.

Installed and enabled Gboard - no change in behaviour i.e. numeric keyboard appears and disappears (and yes, Gboard is enabled, the keyboard looks slightly different and shows up as Gboard on other edits ie Gboard is working)

To summarize:
The andoid software hasn't been updated 30 Sep 2020
Doing this used to work everytime
I created this thread because it missed the first keypress but then worked on a second press
Updating to 3.8.22 caused it to fail every time
I may have missed a couple of minor updates i.e. probably not 3.8.21 before I installed 3.8.22 

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I've adjusted a few pieces of code for the next update - you can let me know if it works any differently for you. I can't see any code changes related to any of this even going back as far as 3.8.17. As a side note, 3.8.24 is the latest update.

Mike
Thanks Mike - I'll let you know how that works

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Hi Mike

Was creating a new set list today and found that, while in the edit screen, I could move songs around by pressing the number and typing a new position (just as I expected)

What didn't work was subsequently displaying the saved setlist and trying to reposition entries without going into edit mode.

Hope this helps

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I'm not sure what you mean - I used the setlist window to reorder songs and it works fine. I tested reordering on the Setlists tab and that worked fine as well.

Mike
Hi Mike

I've created a short video showing what I am seeing.
Basically, I'm displaying a setlist and tapping on one of the numbers to adjust the position.
Keybord shows and immediately disappears

Geoff

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10dDSavx...sp=sharing
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
My main problem is that I can't reproduce that issue on any of my tablets. Without a way to reproduce it, I don't know how to fix it for your device. I've tested on about 10 different tablets including a Samsung Tab A7, which I mentioned earlier. The issue exists on none of them.

Mike