• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some chordpro directive issues
These are just some comments regarding my experience with chordpro directives, which I use a lot in my MobileSheets files:
  1. I change the key by using the {transpose}directive, which is much easier than redoing the chords. (The transpose button doesn't work for me, because as far as I know this won't change the key in synchronized tablets.) But, anyway, I found that {transpose} won't change the keys in choruses repeated by {chorus}. The original chorus section changes key, but not the {chorus} repeat.
  2. I put my meta data in the .cho file rather than filling it in on the Fields tab. That way, if I copy the file, the meta data will copy as well.  However, {tempo} will not propagate to "Tempos", which remains blank.
  3. I have been successful at using {textfont:light} and {textfont:black} to change a section of the text -- which I do to identify sections of the song that are repeated as instrumentals. But, I have not been successful in using {textsize} with no parameter to revert a textsize change to the default, so changing the type size did not work out. And ultimately, I would prefer to change the {textcolor} or {textcolour} (as the case may be) ... and this directive has not worked for me.

Does anyone know of a repository for .cho files? I get most of my files from UltimateGuitar, but I don't think they allow .cho files, or if they do, I haven't found any. It seems we expend endless amounts of energy retyping the exact same songs, so sharing would be good.
1. MobileSheets explicitly has code to apply the transpose offset to the repeated chorus section, so I'm not sure why that's not working based on your description. I just tested this on my Android, Windows and iPad devices and it worked perfectly fine. If you go to Settings->About, what version are you running and is this with the Android, Windows, or iOS version?

2. Metadata isn't parsed if you just edit the file, however if you import the file, it should be read. The tempo field is certainly populated (I've tested this), but it won't overwrite an existing tempo when updating an existing song. So you have to have no value currently specified in the tempo field if you are updating an existing song.

3. {textsize} to revert isn't currently supported. There was another forum post about that. It's on my list for the next major update which is including a lot of chord pro features and fixes. {textcolor} is also not supported currently.

Mike
1. MobileSheets explicitly has code to apply the transpose offset to the repeated chorus section, so I'm not sure why that's not working based on your description. I just tested this on my Android, Windows and iPad devices and it worked perfectly fine. If you go to Settings->About, what version are you running and is this with the Android, Windows, or iOS version?

Windows and the latest version of MobileSheets. I don't know what to say. I added {transpose:+2} (or whatever) and then when we were playing it, I discovered that everything transposed *except* the choruses I repeated by {chorus}.

2. Metadata isn't parsed if you just edit the file, 

Ok, this is an interesting reply. So ... I never "import" .cho files.  I create a new file and paste my .cho document and then I add meta data. I think title populates from the file title, eg. "America.cho" will fill "America" into the Title field. Artist will populate from {artist:John Lennon} and Composer will populate from {composer:John Lennon}. Year will populate from {year:1966} and key will populate from {key:G}. Notably, these will also update if I make later edits to the chordpro directives. So, I naturally assumed Tempos would populate from {tempo:80}.

So I'm definitely surprised to find out this "won't work". (lol)

3. {textsize} to revert isn't currently supported. There was another forum post about that. It's on my list for the next major update which is including a lot of chord pro features and fixes. {textcolor} is also not supported currently.

That was probably my thread as well, although someone did tell me that {textsize} revert should work, but it doesn't. So, of course I can repeat the earlier {textsize:14} or whatever, but the problem with that is my tablets don't all have the same default textsize. So, I abandoned "textsize" for "textfont", since I have all the tablets formatted with the same fonts.I know that "textcolor" is not implemented -- so I included these comments for two reasons. First is so that other people searching for the same solutions I am will find this info, just as I find solutions in MobileSheets via web searches. Second is that I'm just throwing out tools I would like to have. But, I'm not explicitly asking to have it implemented. I would consider my "requests" (or observations) as pretty much on the low end of priorities for you.Well, third might be that I have a solution others might find useful -- as is my surprise to find meta data is not parsed! So I didn't accurately present my concern because in my experience the meta data is parsing and working well for me. It would be more time consuming to edit and (re-)import a .cho file than to just update the Fields, since I either type the .cho file in the MobileSheets editor as a "new file" or I cut and paste a file from the online converter. So, I'm happy it works for me, even if it isn't actually "implemented."As always, thank you for your attention to all these details!
1. Can you send me an example song that isn't working? That would really help. This works for example (I just took an existing song and modified it to cut it down):

Code:
{title:All I Have to Do is Dream}
{subtitle: Everly Brothers}
{key: C}
[C]Dre - [Am]am [F]dream dream [G7]dream, [C]dre - [Am]am [F]dream dream [G7]dream
{soc}
If [F]I can make you mine, [Em]taste your lips of wine, [Dm]anytime [G7]night or [C]day[C7]
Only [F]trouble is [Em]gee whiz, I'm drea[D7]ming my life a[G]way[G7]
{eoc}
I [C]need you [Am]so [F] that I could [G7]die, I [C]love you [Am]so [F] and that is [G7]why
When [C]ever I [Am]want you [F]all I have to [G7]do is [C]dre - [F]- a[C]m[C7]
{transpose: 2}
{chorus}
I [C]need you [Am]so [F] that I could [G7]die, I [C]love you [Am]so [F] and that is [G7]why

2. I won't go into details, but this is something I can address. I just made the changes for this, so after the next update you can edit your files like you described and it will put out the tempos.

Thanks,
Mike