Poll: Do pieces appear blurry in your app?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, blurry
33.33%
2 33.33%
no
66.67%
4 66.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blurry display of songs
I'm wondering why both the regular app and the trial version display files blurry when compared side-by-side in other Android PDF editors as well as MobileSheets iPad app. I'm using Android13 and Android14, Samsung cell phone and tablet. This goes at least for scanned PDFs, composer-generated PDFs, camera pictures taken through MobileSheets. Does the Windows app do that too? I don't know whether exporting also blurs the PDFs further.

I tried to find old discussions about this, but I couldn't find any.
iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen, iPadOS17. Samsung tablet, Android14. Samsung cell phone (Note10Lite), Android13.
Images seem fairly sharp on all of my Android devices, so I'm not sure why you would be seeing that. Which Samsung tablet are you using?  If you go to Settings->Display Settings->Render Preference, you can switch between "Quality" and "Speed" which changes which PDF library is used. Perhaps one will work better for you than the other. This setting is only available on Windows and Android. I'm currently in the process of switching out the graphics library used in the Windows version (it was using Direct2d through Win2D and I'm switching to SkiaSharp which uses OpenGL, which happens to be what Android also uses), and I'm hoping this might increase the sharpness of the rendered images, but this may come down to the way that display scaling works in Windows, and I won't be able to achieve crisper images without rendering to a higher resolution, which takes more memory and processing time. 

Mike
(01-25-2024, 05:23 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Images seem fairly sharp on all of my Android devices, so I'm not sure why you would be seeing that. Which Samsung tablet are you using?  If you go to Settings->Display Settings->Render Preference, you can switch between "Quality" and "Speed" which changes which PDF library is used. Perhaps one will work better for you than the other. This setting is only available on Windows and Android. I'm currently in the process of switching out the graphics library used in the Windows version (it was using Direct2d through Win2D and I'm switching to SkiaSharp which uses OpenGL, which happens to be what Android also uses), and I'm hoping this might increase the sharpness of the rendered images, but this may come down to the way that display scaling works in Windows, and I won't be able to achieve crisper images without rendering to a higher resolution, which takes more memory and processing time. 

Mike

I checked that all of the apps were set for "quality" - yes they were. It on a Samsung S8 Ultra and a cell phone.
iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen, iPadOS17. Samsung tablet, Android14. Samsung cell phone (Note10Lite), Android13.
Can you send one of the files that looks blurry to mike@zubersoft.com so I can test it on my S8 Ultra? I'd like to understand more what you are seeing. I think it's important to note that I render images using the PDF libraries to match the size needed to scale the PDF page to fill the screen. So the quality of the image is dictated mostly by the PDF library, as I'm not doing much post processing. I try to use every setting possible to produce and render the highest quality images possible. I do render images as RGB565 as this dramatically saves on memory consumption, but if you are using files with color in them, the colors will appear incorrect. I don't think this should impact render quality with grayscale or black and white sheet music though. Once I can see the issue you are referring to, I can experiment with removing this dithering to see if it improves the image quality at all. If it does, I'd have to make this optional for users on devices with more RAM.

Thanks,
Mike
On Samsung you can make screenshots by wiping your hand over the screen. How about a few screenshots that show the problem? Maybe someone recognizes it.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(01-25-2024, 05:23 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Images seem fairly sharp on all of my Android devices, so I'm not sure why you would be seeing that. Which Samsung tablet are you using?  If you go to Settings->Display Settings->Render Preference, you can switch between "Quality" and "Speed" which changes which PDF library is used. Perhaps one will work better for you than the other. This setting is only available on Windows and Android. I'm currently in the process of switching out the graphics library used in the Windows version (it was using Direct2d through Win2D and I'm switching to SkiaSharp which uses OpenGL, which happens to be what Android also uses), and I'm hoping this might increase the sharpness of the rendered images, but this may come down to the way that display scaling works in Windows, and I won't be able to achieve crisper images without rendering to a higher resolution, which takes more memory and processing time. 

Mike

Hey Mike,

I also have the problem of blurry renderings in the Windows version. Do you have a timeline when the graphics library switch will be done? Maybe this fixes my problems which I am currently having in the Windows version.

My problem is that I synced my library from my Galaxy S21FE to my Windows 11 Pc. Now some of the pages in a song appear way more blurry than others in the Windows App. If I reset the crop of these pages, they get reloaded and are appear sharper than before. Is there a way of manually triggering an image re-render without resetting the crop settings?

The sheet music I am using can sometimes be a bit small. When zooming in in the Windows App the score is too blurry to use. When zooming in in the pdf version on a pdf reader, everything stays crisp because it is rendered as a vector graphic. Would it be a possibility to add a third option in the render preferences for a very high quality image rendering, possibly sacrificing speed?

I've added screenshots of my problems.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A couple things:

1) MobileSheets uses a low quality zoom by default to improve performance (it doesn't re-render the page at a higher resolution, it just scales the image up). If you want a high quality zoom, where the image is re-rendered each time you change the zoom amount, load a score, tap the center of the screen to bring up the song overlay, tap the second icon at the bottom left, Zoom/Pan Settings and check the option to use HQ zooming. Based on your description, this will most likely fix the issue.
2) If you are using image files, the next update will dramatically improve the image quality in the Windows version when using image files. The method being used to downscale the image files was subpar, so I switched it to a different approach that provides much better results. If you are using PDFs, this change will have no impact on that.

If #1 doesn't help, let me know and we can discuss this more.

Mike
(03-11-2024, 04:58 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: A couple things:

1) MobileSheets uses a low quality zoom by default to improve performance (it doesn't re-render the page at a higher resolution, it just scales the image up). If you want a high quality zoom, where the image is re-rendered each time you change the zoom amount, load a score, tap the center of the screen to bring up the song overlay, tap the second icon at the bottom left, Zoom/Pan Settings and check the option to use HQ zooming. Based on your description, this will most likely fix the issue.
2) If you are using image files, the next update will dramatically improve the image quality in the Windows version when using image files. The method being used to downscale the image files was subpar, so I switched it to a different approach that provides much better results. If you are using PDFs, this change will have no impact on that.

If #1 doesn't help, let me know and we can discuss this more.

Mike

Thanks for the quick reply!

1) I couldn't find an option for HQ zooming in the Zoom/Pan settings, is there something I am missing? I am on version 3.8.34 of the windows app. I've provided a screenshot of the available settings. I also couldn't find a HQ zooming option on the android version.

2) Great to hear! I am using pdf files, which are provided by the composer and are not scanned. They are vector graphics, so in the pdf files I can zoom indefinitely without getting blurry results. The problem I have is that some pages in one score are more blurry than other pages in the same score after having synced the library from android to windows. After resetting the crop levels in the blurry pages they get way sharper than they were before. You can see that in the previous post's screenshots 1.1 and 1.2.

Julian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Apparently the HQ zooming option is only available in the Single Page and Vertical Scrolling display mode. The HQ zoom definitely fixes my issue with zoomed in blurry pages. However on windows I prefer to use the Two Pages display option, there the HQ zoom option is not available and the pages are very blurry when zooming in. Is there a specific reason not to allow HQ zooming in these display modes?
Zooming is just temporary with the two page display mode and I didn't envision it being used except to quickly zoom in and then back out, because you can't turn pages while zoomed in on a page with the two page display mode. With the other modes, MobileSheets saves the zoom and restores that zoom the next time you load the score, and you can turn pages while being zoomed in. If users really want it, I can look into supporting HQ zooming with the two page and half page displays, but it will most likely create a lot of complexity.

Mike
Got it!
Yes, I agree, it probably is better just to allow it in the other display modes. Thanks for the quick replies, this really helps! Smile