• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential loss of Google Drive access
I want to give users a heads up (and hear feedback) about a potential change that is coming. Google has changed their policies for access to Google Drive, and now requires any app that wants to be able to access a user's files and folders to go through an extensive verification and auditing process. I have started this very time consuming process (which has to be done annually), but some of the requirements are quite ridiculous (such as needing to have code in place to anti-virus scan any file that will be uploaded), so I'm not sure I will be able to complete the process. This means that I will no longer be able to access any Google Drive folder outside of one that is automatically generated just for MobileSheets, rendering the Google Drive integration mostly worthless except for library synchronization. Users will still be able to use Import->System File Browser on Android and iOS to import through the OS file picker, but batch importing will no longer be an option, as I don't believe Google's or Apple's file picker will work for that. The Windows version would have no option for importing through Google Drive, as there is no equivalent OS file picker.

If I'm unable to complete the verification and get approval, I will work on adding some other cloud service options that users have asked for, such as ownCloud, pCloud, Box, etc. I will try to have these added around the same time that Google Drive is taken away, which would be around mid-March. 

While I am not happy about losing Google Drive access, I don't really have much say in the matter. I would like to hear from users their thoughts on this, and whether they would be fine switching to a different cloud service if they are currently using Google Drive.

Thanks,
Mike
I use Google Drive access regularly for library sync and to import from my pdf storage but I don't do any batch importing so it sounds like it might not affect me directly, other than having to switch to using the OS file picker. The tablets I use are Onyx and the only other devices I might use MS on are also android. Does sound like a major hurdle for development though.
Guy
Hello Mike,

I currently use Google Drive as the only source for adding scores into MobileSheets. Never use batch import though.
(I am part of small group of friends, who publish their scores on a  Google drive folder shared between them, and each of us, then imports the scores he/she wants from that shared folder into their own version of MobileSheets)

My main device for using MobileSheets is Windows though.
However I have the 'Google Drive' app installed on that windows device, and I currently do seem to be able to access our shared scores on Google Drive in MobileSheets by using Import/Local File and then choose Google Drive in the file picker. So that seems to work as well.
Are you saying this is this going to change when losing Google Drive acces ???

If it is not going to change, everything will be fine for me/us.
If it is going to change and if you do lose Google Drive access, we will have to rethink the way we work,  but I am sure we will find an alternative.
Like you said, you don't really have a say in the matter, and I know you will do everything possible within reason (and more) to try and keep the Google Drive access, but if you do lose it, I am sure we will be fine.

Rudy

Update : just realised : as Google has stopped support for Play Services on Android 4.4 last year, this will probably mean that if you do lose Google Drive access, those older Android devices will probably completely lose access to Google Drive in MobiileSheets. Not an issue for me, just a side thought.
One important note here - the library sync won't be able to access any folder you are currently using. I will be cut off from accessing any folder outside the application folder that is assigned to me by Google Drive (I don't know how that will show up when using a browser). This also means that sharing with other users will most likely be impossible - I won't have any access to shared folders or files. The only way multiple devices will be able to sync to each other is if they use the same Google Drive account. 

Rudy - if you are able to use Import->Local File and import through Google Drive that way, that won't change. That should still work exactly the same way it does now, as that is going through Microsoft's open file dialog. Import->Google Drive will be disabled by default after this change but I may allow users to enable it if it's possible to copy files/folders into the MobileSheets Google Drive folder externally, as then it may still provide some value to users. I'll just make sure to provide a clear label and description in the settings so that users understand that they can't import from any other Google Drive folder.

You are correct that Android 4.4 devices will lose Google Drive support, as well as any device that can't use the Google file picker. As mentioned above, it may be possible for users to copy files into the MobileSheets folder, and then they could import those files into MobileSheets, but I imagine a lot of users won't like having to do that. I'll have to do more research to understand exactly how it will all work and what will or won't be possible. 

Mike
I've switched to pCloud for some time now and am very happy with it. I don't mind loosing GDrive since the space in the free version is to small for my db anyway (same with Dropbox). So I'm looking forward for the addition of pCloud and other providers and don't use GDrive anyway.
Mike,

I must admit that I'm not sure I understand all of this, but my initial reaction is that I would rather adopt a work around to the Google Drive problem and have you focus your efforts on enhancing the MS App.

I don't know how typical my usage of MS is, but here are the scenarios in which I use a Cloud drive: 

1) I play in a group that distributes all our music digitally via Google Drive.  Right now I use the MS import utility, navigate to the shared Google drive I have been given (via an email link) and import the pieces I need.

If that would cease to work, I would simply download each piece to my tablet and then import them from the local file.  No big deal in my opinion

2) In other groups I am given paper copies of the music I need to play.  I use an app on my phone to scan the paper and turn it into .PDF on my phone.  Then I use "Nearby Share" to send the files to my tablet and do a local import.  So any changes to Google Drive will not affect me in this regard.

3) I do both backups and synchronizations to Dropbox.  If I were instead doing these to Google Drive, I would either switch to another cloud service or I would do my backups and sync's to my local device and manually copy them to Google Drive.   Again, I don't see that as a big problem.

So, while, my use case may be different from others, I would rather work around any Google Drive changes so that you could continue your great work on MS.

Thanks,

-Steve
Thank you Steve - I appreciate the feedback. I'll continue with the verification process, but depending on how time consuming it all is, even if I'm somehow able to pass the verification this year, I'm not sure it would be worth it to do this every year, and have the same challenges. That alone may push me to drop it in favor of other cloud services.

Mike
For reasons like this I requested NextCloud/ownCloud (and/or WebDAV) support several years ago.

I currently use GDrive exclusively for (full) remote backups, and backup the backup on my own server. Occasionally I restore a backup on another tablet if I want it to be identical to my master tablet.

To exchange songs, setlists etc. with fellow musicians we use Telegram.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Will backup/restore to Google drive cease working if this happens?
You will be able to backup and restore to the MobileSheets specific folder, but not to any other Google Drive folders. I'll post more news here as I go through the verification process.

Mike
I will be happy to switch to another provider if Google makes it this difficult.
It's definitely difficult, but I have not hit a dead end yet. The verification process is continuing along. So there is hope that I may not have to change anything, but there may still be 4-6 weeks left of this process to go through.

Mike
I have some good news to share - I passed the CASA assessment, so I will be able to continue supporting Google Drive. Now that I've gone through the process once, I don't think it will too tedious to do this every year. I still plan on dedicating time to adding other cloud services though - but I would prefer to wait until after the next major update is released.

Mike
(02-17-2024, 03:46 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I have some good news to share - I passed the CASA assessment, so I will be able to continue supporting Google Drive. Now that I've gone through the process once, I don't think it will too tedious to do this every year. I still plan on dedicating time to adding other cloud services though - but I would prefer to wait until after the next major update is released.

Mike

That's good. Thanks.
(02-17-2024, 03:46 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I have some good news to share - I passed the CASA assessment, so I will be able to continue supporting Google Drive. Now that I've gone through the process once, I don't think it will too tedious to do this every year. I still plan on dedicating time to adding other cloud services though - but I would prefer to wait until after the next major update is released.

Mike

I'm also very pleased.  I import all my files via Google drive using Google drive for desktop on my PC, and use Google drive for all transfers between tablets.

Keep up the good work!