• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiny clearification for "new collection/artist/compser....."
"Neuer Name für Sammlung/xyz......."  ("Enter New Collection/Artist/xyz... Name")
would be better translated:

"Name für neue Sammlung/xyz...." 

Present (literal translated)  "New Name for collection/xyz...." means also "rename existing collection/xyz...." in german.

From the workflow it is clear, but rookies are unsettled. Background: Could convince some friends to use MS,
(...wasn´t a real hard job...) but they are quite inexperienced in the use of tablets/apps....and, they are right.

Thx
e.k.
I'm going to defer to itsme as he manages the German translation. Hopefully he will respond to this when he has time.

Mike
Sorry that it took some time.
e.k. is right, "Name für neue Sammlung/xyz...."  is better than "Neuer Name für ...".

Grammatical gender (der / die / das) in German complicates it even more. If that can be handled without problems these terms would be even smoother:
Name der neuen Setliste
Name der neuen Sammlung
Name des neuen Albums
Name des neuen Typs (Quell-Typ as literal translation of Source Type has been replaced with just "Typ" at many locations)
Name des neuen Komponisten
Name des neuen Interpreten
Name des neuen Genres
Name der neuen Tonart
Name der neuen Taktart
Name des neuen Jahrs

e.k.'s hint motivated me to also take a look at the respective "Rename" dialogs.
Improved texts are:
Name der Setliste editieren
Name der Sammlung editieren
Name des Albums editieren
Name des Typs editieren (Quell-Typ as literal translation of Source Type has been replaced with just "Typ" at many locations)
Name des Komponisten editieren
Name des Interpreten editieren
Name des Genres editieren
Name der Tonart editieren
Name der Taktart editieren
Name des Jahrs editieren

I'm not sure if "Name" should be replaced with "Bezeichnung" - what do other users think?
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

@itsme, thanks for your comments.

I think for the "rename" part of your answer, it would suggest to use just

Setlist/Collection/xyz....... umbenennen

Why? From the workflow I choose a setlist/collection/xyz.... tap on "umbennen" ("rename") and then I´m asked to "setlist/xyz Name editieren" ("edit setlist/xyz name").
Just my 2 cents,..., but there is no need to change the wording, keep "umbennen" continuous.

Just use:
Sammlung umbenennen
Setlist umbenennen
Interpreten umbenennen

Or it is easier (I´ve no idea about the effort to change strings in a code)
Name der Sammlung umbenennen
Name der Setlist umbenennen
e.k.

@itsme:
Komme beruflich öfters nach Bayern (bin aus OÖ), hättest mal Bock auf einen Erfahrungsaustausch bei einem Bierchen oder so?
Dann bitte PN, servus, pfiat di!
Handling grammatical gender would be a huge amount of work unfortunately. Instead of just having a single entry where I replace something with the name of the specific group, I would have to set up one translation string per group type that I support (so one entry would become 11 or 12), and then I'd have to update the code to look up the correct entry depending on what type of group was selected. I'd really prefer to avoid this unless it provides a lot of value.

Mike
Quote:Improved texts are:
Name der Setliste editieren
Name der Sammlung editieren ..

IMHO that's a typical German "worsification" (using 4 words when in English there are only two necessary. I leave my settings in English because I don't like that).

Improved texts IMO would be E.K.s suggestion to go with "Sammlung umbenennen" and so on.
I'm still waiting on a response from itsme before I move forward with those last suggestions. This is not because I don't trust e.k., but more so because I want itsme to have ownership of the German translation as he has been the one supporting it over the last 9+ years.

Mike
I agree with BRX: following e.k.'s proposal for "rename" is fine. There's just one 'e' missing, it has to be "Setliste umbenennen"
For the "new" part of the original post it could be
"Name für XXX"
Not that perfect but correct and good enough.
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

(03-13-2024, 05:57 PM)e.k. Wrote: .....

@itsme:
Komme beruflich öfters nach Bayern (bin aus OÖ), hättest mal Bock auf einen Erfahrungsaustausch bei einem Bierchen oder so?
Dann bitte PN, servus, pfiat di!

@Mike
I can't find a way to send a P.N. to e.k.
In the footer lines of your posts and the posts of BRX there's an "Email" link at the left, in e.k.'s posts and in mine that's missing. Is that the case because we have "Hide your email from other members." checked in our profile options?

@e.k.
Erfahrungsaustausch immer gerne. Ich würde mich freuen, von dir zu hören. Falls du das gleiche Problem hast wie ich, eine Nachricht über's Forum zu schicken, schau auf die Homepages in meiner Signatur.

I had to disable private messaging on the forums due to spam/fake accounts directly messaging users. Unless I make the registration more tedious and require manual verification of every account created (which will place a higher burden on me), I can't think of any other way to prevent this problem.

Mike