• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best practice for managing Vocal tunes in library?
When we do gigs, sometimes I have a singer, and sometimes I don't. And when we do have a singer, I like to have a balance of Vocal tunes and Instrumentals. And the Vocal ones need special review with the singer to make sure they're in their vocal range, etc. So being able to filter on Vocal tunes is an important part of my workflow when planning gigs. But currently, my library has no visibility into which are vocal vs. not.

I want to be able to do something like Create a list of all the songs in a Collection or Setlist that are Vocal tunes (or NOT Vocal tunes).

I thought of maybe entering "Vocal" into Custom2. But while I see a way to exclude with other fields, that's not an option with Custom2:

Keywords doesn't support exclusion either. 

I see there are Vocal and Instrumental entries under Genre. But that's not Genre. I need the Genre field to track the actual genre, like Bossa Nova, Blues, etc. Whether it's suitable for vocals or not is a different piece of metadata. 

Suggestions about the best way to handle this?

Thanks!

Dave
A "V" At the end of the title?
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Thanks for the idea. 

Even if I didn’t dislike how a trailing “V” would make all my song listings look, I still don’t see how this would allow me to filter all vocal tunes from a Collection?
"Custom Group" or "Source Types"
In my personal library "Source Types" has become an important field that contains a conglomeration of various properties. I have it displayed most of the time.
Groups (all those properties that have a selection dropdown) allow multiple values. So a song could also have both "Bossa Nova" and "Vocal" in "Genres". If you check both in filters it's AND
There's an old open request to add more nameable custom fields and custom groups.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I manage cases like this entirely with collections since they're easy to filter. Any song can be in multiple collections at the same time, similar to how itsme is using Genres. So all your band's tunes can be in one collection, and the vocals can be in the band collection and the vocal collection. So you can easily filter on all your tunes, just vocals or just instrumentals. I use custom for chart numbers.
Quote:Groups (all those properties that have a selection dropdown) allow multiple values. So a song could also have both "Bossa Nova" and "Vocal" in "Genres".

Oh right. Good point. Thanks to all of you for the ideas. Feedback:

- Custom Group - this currently has alternate names for songs in it, so it doesn't seem useful for this purpose

- Years - I thought about this, because I have no Years data in my data file. But I ran into two issues: a) Years doesn't have a dedicated filter on the screen; b) filtering for Years = Assigned, after assigning a year to a single song as a test, did not show any results. Maybe it's a bug? Don't know

- Source Type - This is full of data. I don't use it. This might have worked. But it seemed weird to use it.

I ended up using another Collection. A couple reasons:

1) I can add songs in bulk. If I use Genre, many songs already had a Genre assigned. If I try to bulk "change" a group of songs by adding the Genre "Vocal" to songs that already have various genre assigned, I was afraid it would modify the existing Genre values. Using a collection doesn't have that problem.

2) I can use a little mic emoji ? as the name of the collection. Since I already show my collections as the "caption" in my song titles, this will now show up wherever I browse my songs.

3) Back to my original goal, I can easily include/exclude right from the main filter list.

Thanks all!
Great that you find a solution that works for you.

Regarding "Source Types": I deleted all the default entries and added my own values,
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de