• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDF Bookmark Import
I am continuing my quest to get a full understanding of how to import meta data from PDFs.

In my latest experiment I try to import a large PDF file containing all songs for one of the instruments in my orchestra. I have a file AltoSax1.pdf containing approximately 100 tunes/parts (over 200 pages) with PDF bookmarks ("outlines" is the proper PDF term I think).

It works fine to import. It finds all separate parts in the file and gives them the name of the bookmark. Great.

My problem is that I would sometimes also want to import the large PDF files for the other instruments, and use "collections" to keep them apart. In the experiment above I tried to assign a collection name "as2" to all imported songs, but I did not succeed. Even if I imported from the Collections tab, where I had created and selected the "as2" collection.

I could, when starting the import, check the box "Edit Songs after import" and add the collection to each song. But since there are 100 songs, this will take some time that seems not really necessary.

My assumption is that this is not how it is supposed to work. Is that correct?  Would it make sense to add one of these song editor dialogs where properties added to all imported songs could be added?

Obviously, the CSV way of achieving this would work, since there you can add the collection to the CSV file. That will be my next experiment.
Normally, you should only have to tap Import->Local File, select the PDF, enter the collection on the import settings dialog and any song created during the import would be assigned to that collection. If you are using Import->PDF Bookmarks, you would instead check the option at the bottom that says, "Edit songs after import", then on the batch edit screen, just enter in the collection you want to assign to all of the new songs that were created.

Mike
Ah, good! Everything works.

I thought I had already tested this, but i somhow missunderstood that batch edit dialog. I did not read carefully enough and thougth I would have to edit every individual song, But hat was not the case.

Perfect.