• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change subdirectory name
I have the following options on: Create Subdirectories for songs: On

And I like the way it works, except in song name collisions. I wish that the automatically created subdirectory name was something I had at least a little bit of control over. Anything would be better than just song name: artist-song, song-random#, song-dateadded... just something to make different songs have different subdirectory names.

Is it possible to change the subdirectory name separate from the song name? If so, how?
Change the storage location to whichever folder you want to use, then copy your files/folders under the storage location before importing them. Then MobileSheets will use the files from their original location and won't bother creating its own directories. 

As far as changing how the folders are created, that would eliminate the ability for MobileSheets to easily avoid duplicate files that are imported into the library if it generated a unique directory name every time. The logic would have to get more complicated, as queries would have to be done against the database to find out where a given filename might be stored for a different song, and then each matching filename would have to be checked to see if it was duplicate before finally deciding if the new file would be allowed. It's better to just uniquely name files and songs to avoid conflicts in the first place. 

Mike
Thanks, I did what you said and it appears to be working perfectly. I wish I had started out that way.

Regarding duplicate detection. It seems like if there were another column in the DB that had 'Songs.Path' separate from 'Songs.Title', then you could still do duplicate matching based on 'Songs.Title' independent of 'Songs.Path'. That would allow users like me to edit the path post-import. You could populate 'Songs.Path' with 'Songs.Title' (same functionality as now), or have an option that allows something like 'Artists.Name - Songs.Title' as the default.

You could add another option that defines how duplicate detection works: only on song name, or on song name and artist name.

Anyway, just food for thought from fellow programmer. I've been writing scripts to modify the DB for myself because I find that I need to do mass-edits sometimes and it's just faster to script them. A 'Songs.Path' column would solve a lot of problems for me.