• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Page turn settings lost; can't seem to recreate desired old behavior
Bug 
I am using version 3.8.31 from Google Play on Android. I'm using a tablet in landscape mode and I use its large display to show me two pages most of the time.

I liked my old page turn settings (touch actions and pedal actions) and once I had them working I never took any steps to change them. Yet they changed recently for some reason I don't understand. It seems my old settings were lost. In particular I had set my pedal switch 2 to advance by two pages and somehow without my bidding, that setting reverted to advancing one page. Probably some other settings got reverted to defaults also, because setting switch 2 to advance two pages doesn't restore the behavior I had.

So I have a few questions:

1. I have some library backups with settings saved in them. How can I restore ONLY the settings from one of those backups without changing any other contents of my library?
  2. Either because the semantics of the settings have changed recently, or because I can't recall the old settings I had, I'm not able to get back the behavior I used to have. What is the procedure for obtaining the following behavior in landscape 2-page-display mode?
    • When the last page of the song is not displayed and I click switch 2 on my pedal the page advances by two pages, or one page if there's only one page left in the song.
    • When the last page of the song is displayed and I click switch 2 on my pedal, the display advances to the first two (or one, if there is only one) pages of the next song (in, e.g., the current set list).
    • When I click switch 1 on my pedal, the display goes back one page.
    What I observe now is:
    • If I engage the "two-page" mode by selecting the "2 in the square" option thing on the page display, I get the first two desired behaviors, but not the third; instead of the third behavior I get the display going back two pages when I click pedal switch 1.
    • If, on the other hand, I engage the "one-page" mode by selecting the "1 in the square" option thing, and I also set my pedal settings so that switch 2 advances two pages like I think it used to be, the wrong thing happens at the end of a song. For example in the case of a three-page song, trying to turn from pp. 1-2 to p. 3 instead seems to advance to the first page(s) of the next song, skipping page 3 of the current song. I don't see how this could be the desired behavior in any case but that's what I'm seeing.

So my questions / concerns are:

1. Any idea why my old settings got lost? Was this an intentional or known-issue part of a recent update release?
  2. Can I get my old settings back from a backup without losing anything in my library?
  3. How can I get the behavior I used to have, given that I can't find a combination of settings now that provides it?
  4. Is it really intended behavior that in "square-1" mode the "turn two pages forward" pedal action skips an odd page at the end of the song, resulting in that page never getting displayed unless you turn back to it using a "go to previous page" or similar action?

Thanks in advance for any help with any of this! Apologies if I'm making some really obvious blunder but it seemed like it was so easy and obvious before and now it just doesn't seem to work as it used to in all these ways.
Unfortunately, i have heard many cases where installing an update for MobileSheets changed the application settings. This is not something the app would do itself - something about the update process is modifying some of the saved configuration files. These files are generated dynamically when the application is running and is not part of the installer, so I have no idea why this can happen and I've never experienced it myself, so I have no way to investigate it. It's a good idea to use Settings->Backup and Restore->Export Settings to generate a .mcf file periodically to preserve the settings just in case this strange issue occurs after an update. As far as your questions:

I have some library backups with settings saved in them. How can I restore ONLY the settings from one of those backups without changing any other contents of my library?

You can't unfortunately - that's why the options were added to import and export settings specifically. If you have two devices, you could restore the backup file on one device, extract the settings, then restore a newer backup from the primary device to put things back into good working order. If you don't have a second device, this is going to be tricker. You will need to do the following:

1) Create a library backup (.msb) under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library
2) Restore your older backup
3) Extract the settings to a .mcf file using Settings->Backup and Restore->Export settings
4) Restore the .msb file you generated
5) Use Settings->Backup and Restore->Import Settings to import the .mcf file.

Either because the semantics of the settings have changed recently, or because I can't recall the old settings I had, I'm not able to get back the behavior I used to have. What is the procedure for obtaining the following behavior in landscape 2-page-display mode?
When the last page of the song is not displayed and I click switch 2 on my pedal the page advances by two pages, or one page if there's only one page left in the song.
When the last page of the song is displayed and I click switch 2 on my pedal, the display advances to the first two (or one, if there is only one) pages of the next song (in, e.g., the current set list).
When I click switch 1 on my pedal, the display goes back one page.

Enable the "Separate Songs in Two Page Mode" setting and change the pedal action for switch 1 under Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Pedal Actions to "Go back one page"

Any idea why my old settings got lost? Was this an intentional or known-issue part of a recent update release?

Just a weird issue that can potentially happen when installing an app update with Android I'm afraid. It's not very common (it probably affects less than 1% of the user base).

Hopefully that gives you everything you need.

Mike
Thanks for your reply, Mike.

Unfortunately when I put the settings as you suggest, it doesn't work the way I want (which I the way I think it used to work).

With 2 in the square, switch 1 goes back two pages, not one.

With 1 in the square, switch 2 skips the last page of any song with an odd number of pages. As I said in my original post, it's hard to imagine that this is intended behavior with any settings at all. I think fixing this bug might address my issue.

This is with switch 2 set to Turn Two Pages Forward, of course, because that's what I want that switch to do unless I'm at the end of a song.
If you have an android phone with the same user account as your tablet, you could install mobilesheets on that, and then follow the procedure as Mike described to restore an old backup to it and save just the settings fromt there.

If you have an android phone with a different user account, I guess you could installl the MobileSheets trial version on it and do the same as above. Just not sure how the trial version will react to the fact that  your backup file contains more songs/scores than allowed in the trial version ???
If you don't want to go through the procedures I provided to restore your settings, export your current settings to .mcf (Settings->Backup and Restore->Export Settings), and export the setlist you are working with to .msf (Setlists tab->long press setlist->Share->Export songs and files) and send both of those to mike@zubersoft.com. I'll then review your current settings.

Thanks,
Mike