• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating subfolders for songs: can I change the setting?
My setting was: Create a subfolder for every song: On
In the latest version, this setting is Off by default in order to prevent problems with duplicate files (that's  how I understand it).
Having read that, I switched my settings to Off.

After syncing up, I saw that the existing folders are still there (in Dropbox), but that new files (songs and audio files) are stored in the main folder.
I noticed a situation that there was a subfolder for the song already, and after setting te switch to Off, the new audio file ended up in the main folder.
After syncing down on another device, MobileSheets could't find the audiofile.
So, I suspect that this hybrid situation is not the best way to work with.

My questions: 
  1. Is it smart what I'done or should I set the switch back to On?
  2. If I swithing it to Off is no problem, is there a way tot re-organize the library into a no-subfolder situation?
  3. I created a back-up and performed a new sync file from there, but the folders are still present.

René
The sync folder will always use a different approach from the tablet, so don't focus on that too much. It only matters what's on the tablet itself. Having said that, it's certainly possible that if you first synchronized with the "Create Subdirectory per Song" enabled, then turned it off and synchronized again that there could be an issue of some kind. I will have to investigate that.

1. I would recommend leaving it on if you had it on before, unless you want to backup/restore the library with the setting off which will delete all the subdirectories
2. Backup the library first under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, switch the setting off, restore the .msb file and uncheck the option to restore settings
3. The folders will be present in Dropbox as the cloud sync will always use folders (as users with different "Create Subdirectory per Song" settings may sync to the same folder). It just helps with preventing potential file name conflicts.

Mike
(03-16-2024, 10:23 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The sync folder will always use a different approach from the tablet, so don't focus on that too much. It only matters what's on the tablet itself. Having said that, it's certainly possible that if you first synchronized with the "Create Subdirectory per Song" enabled, then turned it off and synchronized again that there could be an issue of some kind. I will have to investigate that.

1. I would recommend leaving it on if you had it on before, unless you want to backup/restore the library with the setting off which will delete all the subdirectories
2. Backup the library first under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, switch the setting off, restore the .msb file and uncheck the option to restore settings
3. The folders will be present in Dropbox as the cloud sync will always use folders (as users with different "Create Subdirectory per Song" settings may sync to the same folder). It just helps with preventing potential file name conflicts.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks. I understand that in Dropbox you won't see a change when you switch subfolder to Off.
So, what caused, that from that moment on, new PDF's and mp3's appear in the Dropbox Main sync folder? 
I tested it on Google Drive. This is what I did:
  1. I switched Off the submap setting.
  2. I backed-up to my Chromebook.
  3. I cleared the library.
  4. I restored my backup, ignoring the settings.
  5. On the Chromebook all PDF-files appeared right in the MobileSheets folder, mp3-files were placed in a folder for 'their' song. 
  6. I synced to a new folder in the Google Drive. There I saw the same.

So: it seems that the position of the switch has an effect on the sync destination, too.

Syncing to an existing folder in the cloud shows that newly added pdf's and mp3's are placed in the sync folder itself and existing ones stay in their song folders.

René
I may have remembered incorrectly then about how the cloud folders are setup. I do need to investigate this further if you are seeing audio files not being placed in the root storage location on your device though. Also, I should mention there is a bug with the display of the "Create Subdirectory per Song" setting for some users where it will show that it's on, but it's actually off. This generally only impacts new users or users that never changed any of the settings before (it's just a mismatch between the settings screen default state for the checkbox and the default value used for that setting).

Mike
On my device, 
mp3-s are stored inside the folders where the pdf's reside. See attachement.
New PDF's are stored in the main folder.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

René
Is that true for new PDFs if you turn off "Create Subdirectory per Song"? I tested this and the mp3s were placed in the root storage location for me on my Android tablet. 

Mike
I Can't see the content of app-maps on my tablet (no rights).
On my Chromebook I see what I showed you. This might be different from genuine Android devices.
I don't care about how files are stored locally, I just was confused that the setting seems to influence the way synced files are stored in the cloud.
As long this doesn't affect other members who might have the submap-switch On or Off, there's no problem, is there?

René
No, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

Mike