• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syncronization problems, Java-Exceptions, empty .pdf's
Dear Guys!

We have  problems syncronizing our databases (Tab/GoogleDrive, ~500 Songs).

When I add some new songs (.pdf's and .mp3's ) often I get Failure messages: 

"Fehler: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface methode 'java.lang.String j4.c.getAbsolutePath()' on a null object reference"

and sync. stops. 

After repeating sync several times it get's done (I have a stabile fiber-internet connection with plenty speed).

Might be an other problem: At our rehearsals room,  the internet ist poor. Syncs hardly work and often .pdfs which were available before are empty after syncronizing. 

Any ideas?
That usually happens when something interrupts the Google Drive connection. This can happen if the router drops the connection, your device is assigned a new IP address by the router or something else temporarily disrupting the connection. The code currently will attempt multiple times to download or upload files before reporting a failure (~5 times I believe). However, it sounds to me more like MobileSheets is trying to obtain a particular file or directory and is getting back nothing, so the error occurs. I'm not sure how to reproduce that, as I can't remember the last time a sync to Google Drive failed for me. What I ultimately may have to do is allow a sync to be resumed after failure, but this is going to require a dramatic number of changes.

Mike
(03-16-2024, 10:17 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: ...What I ultimately may have to do is allow a sync to be resumed after failure, but this is going to require a dramatic number of changes...
Dear Mike, 

I'm sorry, but I can reproduce this problem since the last few weeks permanently. Yesterday, I took all our tablets with me to make database updates at home (I have a stabile 300MBit fiber connection) to get out of our poor LTE-Internet connection. Same problems again, and again, and again...

We need a solution, because I can't use the Companion Tool. This deletes all the notes made by the other musicians. 

S.O.S. Exclamation
I can't reproduce it with my own library, so please share the sync folder with mike@zubersoft.com and I will try synchronizing to your folder to see if I encounter the same issues you are seeing. It will also help if you can create a library backup file on your device under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, upload that and share a link to it with mike@zubersoft.com as well, so that I have the same library you are using before synchronizing. I will not modify the sync folder - I will just sync the changes to my device to test that.

Thanks,
Mike
I've sent an invitation link to your mail address. Tomorrow I'll provide a backup file of the database.
Thx for your investigations.
Hi Mike,
could you find a solution regarding my Google-Drive issue?
My problem still exists very adamant.
Greetings from Austria
Dietmar
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am testing it right now, and I'm encountering the failure due to permissions. I added a new PDF to see if I could sync it to the folder, and I'm getting an error due to insufficient permissions to create the subdirectory needed to store the PDF. I'm assuming this is because I don't have write permissions for the folder you shared, but let me ask this - is it possible the other devices are linked to Google Drive accounts that also don't have permission to create folders? I'm going to try to update the code to at least output this information.

Mike
Hi Mike, 

I've changed the level of access for your account, so you should be able to add things. 
But, I also have a problem when syncing my Lenovo-Tablet using the same Goolge Account (with same rights). 

Dietmar
I just synchronized the backup file you provided me to the Google Drive folder and it worked without a problem. You may want to sync your latest changes with the sync type set to "Update Folder" if I overwrote any of your changes by doing that. If you want me to keep testing synchronizing to that folder repeatedly from multiple devices, I'm happy to do that. I'm not sure how often you are encountering the problem (do I need to sync multiple times to see it?).

Mike
Hi Mike, 
I've made some videos for you (pls. find invitation in your mailbox), but today, the connection works nearly perfect. 
There are only some fails regarding .mp3- and .crd-files and the connection works quite fast.

Other days, I have fails of ~80% in .pdf-files. 

For the moment, I synchronize all tabs manually (Tab 2 Tab) before we meet. 

I'll try again within the next days and make a video, if the problem occurs as hard as the last few weeks. 

Dietmar

UPDATE:

I've tried to sync. again a few minutes ago (15:52CET) and there were no failures. 
Possibly intresting effect: three identical tablets (all Amazon fire 10) with three different Google accounts run with different speeds. Maybe Google is the problem  Huh
If the behavior is inconsistent, it usually points to some kind of connection issue. My code will attempt up to five times to download a file if a failure occurs, so another possibility is if the underlying file is locked for some reason, and it can't be deleted or overwritten, that could also cause a failure I suppose. If you go to Settings->Other Settings->Find Missing Files, I'm assuming you have no missing files in the primary library, correct?

Mike
Hi Mike, 
I've rebuilt the database by deleting the whole content of Google Drive and syncing again. Then I've removed the writing-rights from all other users, so my master tablet is the ohne and only source for new songs. 
It seems, that everything works proper now. 
We'll see, let's close the issue. 
Thanks for your support!

Dietmar
Glad to hear that Dietmar. I'm always happy to help.

Mike