• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sync error: "Multiple songs found with matching titles"
Every time I sync from my Windows tablet device to my Google Cloud backup folder, I get a few of these errors: 
Quote:Multiple songs found with matching titles and files. Please select the song on the folder device to use that matches the following:
Title: Baby, It's Color Outside.RB.II., Date Created ....
  Title: Baby, It's Color Outside.RB.II., Date Created ....
I discovered I somehow had two files in the Mobilesheets directory in my Google Drive. One had the extension "..PDF" and the other had the usual ".PDF". I deleted the double-dot ones and started again, and the error still comes back every time. I don't see the double-dot files anymore though. Each time I sync I get another line in the error above, and the new one has today's create/mod date. And when I choose one (I have to if I want to continute), I find I get a duplicate song in my MobileSheets on Windows tablet!

I tried deleting the dup songs in the MobileSheets app, and then resyncing, but the error still continues.

I wonder if it's because of the apostrophe in the title? I notice the Google Drive folder name has a space where the apostrophe would be, even though the filename there is correct. The other song it happens on is "Bali Ha'i.RB.II" which also has an apostrophe. But on the other hand, I have plenty of songs with apostrophes in the title that are fine, so I really don't know.

I tried a few different sync settings but nothing gets me past this.
So a couple of things:

1) Make sure you have uniquely named all of your titles and file names to avoid these kinds of issues. 
2) If possible, avoid using periods, apostrophes or punctuation in the titles that may not be well supported across services and/or platforms. OneDrive doesn't allow # to be used for file or folder names, for example, so I have to dynamically rename things to avoid errors

If you are confident every song in your library has a unique title and there are no duplicate file names, and the sync still throws up those errors, this will be difficult for me to remotely analyze. If it's not a huge headache, deleting the sync folder and synchronizing back to it to upload everything will put things back into a good state.

Mike
I'm pretty sure I have no dups in my local device, but I do have a pretty big database (all the jazz Real Books) so it'd be hard to check exhaustively. 
I'm resyncing to a fresh Google Cloud folder now; says it'll take a few hours -- Google upload seems to be quite slow.
Question: there's also the option to sync with a Mobilesheets backup (.msb) rather than a folder; that seems to be much faster for small changes even if the msb is in my Google Drive (i.e. in the cloud). Is there any downside of doing it that way?
If this is just for you to synchronize to your own devices, then no, it's perfectly fine to do that. The main problem is just that you have to create a new backup file and upload it to the cloud every time. This is generally much slower than synchronizing to a cloud folder which just transmits only the new changes.

Mike