• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Library Restore Issues Since the Last Update
I'm using Version 3.8.39 on my iPad, and restoring from a OneDrive folder.

Since the last update, I've been getting missing files when I restore libraries that I saved using the Windows version. This happens even with libraries that I previously imported with success into the IOS version, hence my thinking that this is a problem with the IOS restore function rather than the backup function that created these. The libraries come up fine when I restore them in Windows.

When I use the Find Missing Files function, I am able to see files that look like they might be the right ones in a local directory, but when I click on a file, I get a "File Modifications Detected" message that just spins forever. At least one of this missing files is a large collection with hundreds of songs that have been snipped and annotated (I have my master database safely backed up in Windows, fortunately).

I don't know enough about the file structure used by MobileSheets in IOS - nor how IOS file paths are constructed in general - but the missing file paths look like they may be expecting folders that don't exist (i.e., the files that correspond aren't below a folder alluded to by the path - they're at the top level).

I see in the release notes that there may have been some fixes related to folder handling. Perhaps related?

Let me know if you need more information.

Serafin
Poked around a bit more. In case it's relevant, I have Create Subdirectories for Songs enabled (this was mentioned in the most recent release notes) - although my casual observation from what I mentioned above is that songs are NOT in individual subdirectories. I don't usually poke around the database folders to see how it's organized. Does this come into play only when new songs are imported (vs. library restores)?

By the way, suggestion: would be awesome if you could add a settings search function similar to what IOS and Windows provide. I often forget where to find particular app settings.

Serafin
So, just to be clear:

1) You are using the Sync Library->Synchronize to a cloud folder feature
2) The Windows device has "Create Subdirectories per Song" enabled
3) You synchronize to the folder on your iPad, but MobileSheets is looking for files in folders but the synchronization has placed them without folders (as if "Create Subdirectories per Song" was unchecked even though it's checked on your iPad)

Does that seem to match your experience so far? If you look in the OneDrive sync folder, are subdirectories being used for the songs or is it just a flat list of files? What happens if you create a library backup file on the Windows device and restore that under Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Library from Backup? Does that seem to work without issue? 

As far as your question, the "Create Subdirectories per Song" setting applies when importing, restoring a backup, and using the sync feature.

Thanks,
Mike
I AM using the "Restore Library from Backup" feature - which I've used forever and exclusively to ensure that I have identical libraries across multiple devices on multiple platforms. I have not used the Sync Library function (perhaps I should, but Backup/Restore has been working fine).

My reference for "Create Subdirectories per Song" above pertained to the iPad (the setting is enabled there) that I was restoring into, but I just checked and it is enabled on my Windows master device as well. I typically use "Backup Library" on my Windows (Surface Pro 8) device only, then restore into various Windows, IOS, and Android devices that I use for various occasions/gigs.

When I use "Find Missing Files" on my iPad after a bad restore, I see that the paths listed for the missing files appear to have subdirectories (..../Documents/Songname/Songname.pdf). When I click through to "Local Files", I see something that looks like the missing file under "MobileSheets", but without a subdirectory. However, as I mentioned earlier, the process appears to hang when I select the corresponding local file.

Most of the local files I see under MobileSheets are NOT in subdirectories. There are SOME that are in subdirectories. I haven't established a pattern on which ones have them and which ones don't.

To add, restoring to my Android tablet worked fine.

I hope this is clear.

Sorry for the slow answer. I did not see a notice in e-mail that you had posted a reply.

Serafin
In case it is helpful... I tried toggling and disabling Create Subdirectories per Song on my iPad before restoring a library again to see if that might make a difference. It didn't help. The missing file paths still show subdirectories. Local MobileSheets files on the iPad are still a mix of files with and without subdirectories, regardless of whether the setting is enabled or disabled.
It does appear that there is an issue with subdirectories not being created on iOS when restoring a backup now, which is most likely the source of the problem. I already submitted version 3.8.40, but once I have a fix in place for this, I can include it with the next update. If you uncheck that option though, MobileSheets should not create subdirectories and should be able to load files without an issue. I did test that and it worked fine for me. In fact, even when it didn't create subdirectories even though the option was enabled, I still could load songs without any problems. Please note that if you created custom subdirectories under the storage location, MobileSheets will try to honor those, so if you are seeing some songs still looking for subdirectories, that's probably related. I would need to see an example path of something that isn't loading properly for you though.

Mike
I'm happy to hear that you've isolated the bug. As I mentioned in my previous note (perhaps not so clearly), I did not see an improvement in the problem when I unchecked the Create Subdirectories per Song option. I do not have any custom subdirectories - I leave it entirely up to the app to manage the file structure.

I'd be happy to send you a link to my library which demonstrates the problem. I can't post it here due to licensed content. I will try to send you a private e-mail.