• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go backward and forward in played songs list, Undo / Redo equivalent for MS?
Is there perhaps a solution for the following problem (I’m using MS 3.8.42 for Windows with Win10):
- In the library there are all available songs of our band.
- There are setlists for preferred songs for special purposes.
- But for a gig there is no possibility to prepare a setlist in advance as there is some sort of just-in-time selection depending on the actual situation.
- Most times there is a short-notice selection of some songs (3 to 5) from the selected setlist (and enough time to select these from the setlist).
- When starting the songs from the short-notice selection it should be possible to select them with little time in between (touch screen option would be perfect).
- Is there any possibility for this?
- One suggestion for this could be:
- MS remembers the played songs and can go back and forward in this list (like undo-redo in other applications): the songs are selected one by the other from the setlist and after finishing, one can get backwards in the list, stop at the proper song, and then scroll immediately to the next songs.
This would need to add these two options to the selectable touch options: goto last played song / goto next played song.
If this list “survives” an ending of MS and restart, perhaps this can provide a workaround for the “Logging / protcol of played songs?” problem. Then the list can be generated by scrolling back (and if an (CSV?-) export of that list is available, it would perhaps solve the problem at all (perhaps add selection of tags on export)!
Regards
I often have gigs where the song is decided ad hoc. 

With 3 touches I get to the new song. Why do you need something easier? You only have to have a collection where alle the songs are saved.
When a new song is called, 1 touch for back to collection, 1 touch on the letter bar to get to the section where the song is and one touch to select the song.

It's just 2 seconds. What do you need more?
There is also the library screen window that you can utilize to quickly access any songs without having to go back to the library screen (tap to bring up the overlay, tap the icon at the bottom left and tap the "Show Library Window" option). You can also temporarily add songs using the setlist window, and there is a "Pause setlist for song" icon which lets you interrupt a setlist for an unplanned song.

Mike
BRX: The problem is that the songs are announced during the gig by their number, which is also chosen as the first letters (digits) of the title in MS.
They are all summarized as # in the letter bar (e.g. titles: 001 title A, ... 399 title Z) .
Mike: perhaps you can add to the letter bar the titles also by their first non-digit, non-space letter and allow listing of these? Then this method would also work fine.
Best regards
Put the number in Custom1 and sort by that, or alphabetically by title, whatever fits the situation. This is how I handle numbered tunes. The numbers don't really belong in the titles as that locks you into numerical sorting.
I was about to say the same. I've never seen the benefits of numerical sorting of songs anyway. Even before I went digital with MS I always sorted alphabetical and now with tablets I see even less sense and it even bothers me a bit that some members in my bigband (still analog of course) still need to know the "number of the tune" to get to the next song and can't by the title.

But, Mike, I noticed the differences in sorting in the songs tab and the collections, albums etc. tabs. While I understand some only make sense in one tab and not the other I would find it useful if you'd provide the same sorting of fields like in the songs tab in collections etc. 

And, Mike, what exactly is the difference in numerical sorting and A-Z sorting other than the songs aren't grouped and don't have a letter bar?

(Saxplayer, BTW, if you use the custom field for numbering and also the title formating I think you could use alphabetical sorting and still show the number in front of the title)
Adding more sort options for the groups is on my list of things to do. Just haven't had time to work on it. As far as numerical vs A-Z, numerical sorting will sort by number first if a number is found in the title, but will fall back to alphabetical sorting if no number is found.

Mike