• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E Ink version: design decision
I have a question about a design decision in the E Ink version. Almost everywhere colors and shadings have been removed in the UI which is great. E Ink works best with simple black and white UIs. But the status bar on top is in gray shading (see attached image). I would find it less distracting if it were white with black text.

In the end it is a personal choice and I can always hide it. What do you think about it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It seems that the status bar you are referring to is part of the operating system. If that assumption is correct it is not Mike's decision haw it looks like.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Your are certainly right. The status bar is part of the system, but as far as I know, the app decides about its color. Somehow "normal" android design is that it matches the body color of the app. As a consequence I would rather like it to be white on E Ink displays.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to modify the theme for the application to change the status bar to be white with black icons.

Mike
Following one of the recent updates the app has started flashing up the status bar for a second or so each time I change to a different page of the app UI. This is on a Boox Max 3 with the e-ink version of the app and in fullscreen mode. If I change to the page where you choose the library for example, when it first loads that page the status bar comes up for a moment then goes away again. The contents of the page shuffle down to account for the status bar, and then shuffle up again when it goes away which means you have to wait until the shuffling is done before you can accurately make a selection. If possible it would be good to go back to fullscreen persisting through page changes. To be clear, the status bar isn't appearing when I change pages in sheet music, just when changing pages in the app, i.e. going through different levels in the settings etc.
Guy
(05-05-2024, 03:44 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I was able to modify the theme for the application to change the status bar to be white with black icons.

Thank you, Mike. I appreciate it.

(05-06-2024, 01:51 PM)Oz Cello Wrote: Following one of the recent updates the app has started flashing up the status bar for a second or so each time I change to a different page of the app UI.

I can also see this flashing on my Max Lumi. But it is not always there. Some observations:

- If I change to fullscreen in the floating toolbar and open the settings I can see the flashing. Returning to the library disables fullscreen in the floating toolbar. Is this indended behaviour?

- If I change to fullscreen in the settings it is persistent. I can see the flashing if I change from the library to settings and back, but not on every change. Sometimes it flashes, sometimes it does not.

Daniel
Not sure if this is related as I don't use full screen mode (I like to have the time etc. showing), but since the most recent Boox TabX firmware update I've had odd things happening with the status bar, most often it will change to a white background while leaving the text white too <edit> when turning Bluetooth or the front lights on or off. </edit>  A little later it will rewrite <edit> again<edit> and go back to normal.
I'm hoping the upcoming change to a black on white status bar will mask this.
I have reported this to Onyx but haven't had a response.

PS it was definitely the firmware update that caused the problem.  It happens to another app too.
You're only paranoid if you're wrong  Cool
I'm using an Onyx Boox Tab X
I had to change the behavior of setting the fullscreen flag because a user reported graphical anomalies if I set that flag immediately upon loading the app, and also when they locked the device and then unlocked it (but only if no passcode/pin or other security measure was setup). So I now have to wait 500 milliseconds before transitioning the app into fullscreen mode, which causes the shifting you have described. I don't have a better solution, because if I set that flag immediately, then some users are going to see weird status bar issues under certain situations. I might consider changing this behavior only for the e-ink version though, unless it gets reported again by a different user, as the slow refresh of the e-ink devices makes the shifting a much bigger deal.

Mike
It's mainly an issue for me because I'm working with 4 libraries on each of 4 devices. When I'm updating all of the libraries the waiting time is quite noticeable. Once versioning is in I imagine I'll be working almost entirely in one library so it'll be much less of an issue. In the meantime I'd be happy to see the flag go back to being set immediately.
Guy
I should also mention that the fullscreen flag is only turned off and back on if you don't have a lock screen set on the device. If you do specify a lock screen, then I don't do this, as it's not necessary (the status bar is correctly configured when the app is resumed if a lock screen is present for whatever reason). Regardless, I have changed the behavior in the e-ink version for the next update.

Mike