• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SImple setup required
I am a folk mandolin player that has generated sheet music via Musescore and Easy ABC generation both PDFs and midi for each piece.
In the past I have used PiaScore which allowed me to load the database with my PDFs and Midis and from that I am able to generate Sets and Sessions sets. As my music collecting in now around 600+ I am looking to create a more better way to organise my database and make it more user friendly. I am hoping Mobilesheets can do it for me.! 
Basically I have Tunes and Songs. The songs are no problem but with the Tunes I have 3 groups  Scottish - Irish - Others (which could be expanded) then within these group there are Airs, Waltzes, Reels, Jigs etc.  
 Ideally I would like to be able to select for example a a session that has Scottish Waltzes, Jigs and Reels , Similar with the Irish tunes then maybe a few songs  is this possible?

Alcluith
You can use the filters to do what you want e.g.

Create collections for your different categories e.g. Scottish - populate these collections with the required songs.

Select/Edit any song and display the filters
Tap on "Source" and create new entries for  Airs, Waltzes, Reels, Jigs etc.

Modify each song so that it has the appropriate source (a song can have multiple source values if necessary but I'm assuming those mentioned are mutually exclusive))

When creating a setlist, display the filters and set the "Collection" to "Scottish" (say)
Tap on "Source" and select the required fields e.g. "Waltz", "Jigs" and "Reels"
This will restrict the display to Scottish songs that  are Waltzes, or Jigs or Reels 

You probably also want to use "Song Title Formatting" (in Library Settings) so that each entry also displays the Source field. This will make it easier for you to select songs and also show you those that haven't yet been categorised. 

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Geoff,
Thank you for the quick replay. 
I understand most of your reply. I have already grouped my tunes in their "Source"  categories i.e. Scottish Waltzes, Irish Jigs etc.  each in separate folders on my computer hard drive.  I was thinking of creating the "Collections" and "Sources" then I would be able to populate them into corresponding Collection and Source by selecting them in filters when loading, is that possible?

Alcluith
Aargh - now you're asking a more difficult question.

I've just noticed that you are using an ipad whereas I am using android. However, as Mike says he is trying to keep the platforms similar that shouldn't matter.

I hadn't realised that it was "Scottish Waltz"es and "Irish Jig"s - ny reply was assuming you could have Scottish Jigs and Scottish Airs as well.

Assuming you don't have things like "Scottish Jig"s then you can probably just use collections rather than using the Source type. This would simplify things greatly.

It is possible to arrange a folder tree on your pc and and perform a batch import which automatically fills in the metadata fields from the folder names but that is something I've never done and in your case is probably not worth investigating.

I would just batch import each folder separately (assuming you don't have hundreds of folders)
Tap Import and select "Batch Import"
Select "Automatically Crop Pages"  (reduces size of margins)
Select "Use Filename as Title" (not Guess Title from Filename as that may tweak the names)
Set Collection to the name you want e.g. "Scottish Waltzes" (use New if it doesn't already exist).
Select the Import directory (at top on android device) and Press Start (top line)

This will copy the files into the MobileSheets area and you no longer need your source folder (but keep it anyway!)
Repeat for the other folders.

As you are new to MobileSheets, I suggest you play around with just a couple of folders/collections first to see how it all works and, if necessary, re-initialise the database and start again from scratch! It is easier to correct poor choices at this stage than later.

Once you have set up all your folders, don't forget to use MS to make a backup of it's information (and also make regular backups). It sounds as though you are a performer so I recommend not having MS auto update - you don't want an unexpected update immediately prior to a performance. Turning off autoupdate means that you can choose a suitable time for updating (and I suggest you always create a MS backup before each manual update).

You've chosen a great product

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Geoff

Thanks for coming back  For clarity the Collections would be Scottish, Irish and Songs. Both Scottish and Irish are tunes and both have same sources, there are a few unique to each of Collections,  some tunes are same to both Collections,  The Songs although covering both Collections are so few that I didn't feel to break them down. 

I do think MS will be better than Piascore, that I'm sure but I play with another two, so it needs to work for them too.  

I'll give it a good try as suggested, as I know it will take time to get familiar with the App. My only thing, is not from a classical background, the terminology is a bit strange to me, I'm used to Tunes, Songs, Airs, Waltzes etc.   

Alcluith
A song (tune or whatever you want to call it) can be in more than one collection.

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I would probably set the nationality under Collections (Scottish, Irish, etc.). Then I'd set the type under Genre (Songs, Airs, Waltzes, Jigs, Reels, etc.). 

If you batch import a folder of Scottish Waltzes, then you can set the collection to Scottish and the genre to Waltzes.
If you have a song or tune that is multinational or could fit in multiple genres, you can add additional tags to the collections field or the genres field in the song editor.

Also once you have your library loaded, there are multiple avenues to find a particular group of songs/tunes. For Scottish Waltzes, go to collections tab, select Scottish, filter genre by Waltzes (or start typing Waltzes into the search bar) and the resulting list of songs/tunes will fit both criteria. 
Or you could go to the genres tab, select Waltzes, select Scottish under the collections filter (or start typing Scottish in the search bar) and you'll probably get the same list. 
Or from the songs tab, you could select Scottish under the collections filter and Waltzes under the genre filter or select one of the filters and type the other in the search bar. 
If you find that you regularly use the same combos (Scottish Waltzes) and would like to save time, you could filter the list using one of the methods above then select all of the songs in the filtered list, click the three dots in the upper right corner, select "Create Collection from Songs", and name the new collection 'Scottish - Waltzes'. This will allow you to go to the collections tab and select the 'Scottish - Waltzes' and get the fully filtered list. 
You could also do this during batch import too (in the collections field, type 'Scottish', hit enter, type 'Scottish - Waltzes', hit enter, then in the genres field type 'Waltzes')
Sam

Surface Pro 7 with MSP
Thanks to Sam and Geoff,

I think I see how to make it work for me. Just need to go ahead and try it out.  I have been busy tidying up my files ready to import so once I have that done I will start loading. I have over 1500 tunes and about 50 songs so it will take a bit of time but I am sure MS will make it much easier to use when I get it done

Alcluith