• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request: One-touch Backups
I like to backup the library frequently, but it's arduous. On my Mac, it's a 13-step process:

1. Tap triple dot
  2. > Settings
  3. > Backup and Restore
  4. > Backup Library
  5. > Select Backup Destination
  6. > Local File
  7. Give it a name
  8. OK
  9. OK
  10. Save
  11. “Backup completed successfully” - OK
  12. Back
  13. Back

I'd like to get that as close to a one-tap process as possible by eliminating most of these steps. I always do mine the same way. Local file. Default filename based on date, same destination folder.

Maybe if you have a Backup Config screen where the user can maintain their backup default settings, then this can be possible. Or, just make a "Repeat Last Backup" that remembers the settings that were chosen last. 

So maybe:

1. Tap triple dot
  2. > Quick Backup
  3. “Backup completed successfully” - OK

That's it!
For iOS/MacOS, the last screen where you have to select where to save it will always be required. I won't have write privileges to the output location otherwise (when saving to local file). For saving to the cloud, I can attempt to use the previous location again, but that could result in the backup being created, and then the upload failing if that destination is unreachable. Supporting this also means you wouldn't have the ability to choose what name to use for the backup, but some users may not care about that if they just want to overwrite their last file.

Mike
Not a good idea to overwrite your last backup!

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(06-06-2024, 03:25 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Supporting this also means you wouldn't have the ability to choose what name to use for the backup, but some users may not care about that if they just want to overwrite their last file.

The default backup format I'm getting is:

Quote:MobileSheetsBackup_2024-06-04.msb

so it will only overwrite if you do two in the same day. When we write code like that, we solve it with a timestamp, like:

Quote:MobileSheetsBackup_2024-06-04_HH-MM-SS.msb

If you do two backups in the same second, you can probably overwrite the first one :-)

Quote:For iOS/MacOS, the last screen where you have to select where to save it will always be required. I won't have write privileges to the output location otherwise (when saving to local file).

I believe you, but I don't understand. It doesn't ask me for permissions; it just asks for a directory. Maybe when I first installed the app it probably prompted me for permissions? If so, doing that one time is expected and no big deal.
I made a gif video of what my backup steps currently look like, to make sure we're all on the same page. Even that is too big to be attached, so I have to use a Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/w40drj7yr...pwd0t&dl=0

As you can see, it's just rote clicking. All the prompts are from the app, not from iOS/macOS. And the one filename conflict that you will see would go away with an HH-MM-SS filename format.

Thanks!
I'm not talking about permissions. Asking for the directory is what is required and will always be required, because in order for a file to be written to the device on iOS, I have to pop up Apple's file picker to select a destination (which in effect grants permission to generate the file). I can't just save a file path and write to that path whenever I want - the OS will deny it if I try.

As far as the filename, that's not really using the previous settings then. I'm fine with it behaving that way (using the default filename), but I'm not sure if that is what every user would expect if they previously had entered a preferred filename.

Mike
(06-06-2024, 05:28 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm not talking about permissions. Asking for the directory is what is required and will always be required, because in order for a file to be written to the device on iOS, I have to pop up Apple's file picker to select a destination (which in effect grants permission to generate the file). I can't just save a file path and write to that path whenever I want - the OS will deny it if I try.

Okay, gotcha. I know that requirement doesn't exist for macOS apps, but I know this is really just an iPad app running in emulation. I guess we're stuck with that step.

Quote:As far as the filename, that's not really using the previous settings then.

Well, in this case the "previous setting" is to use the default file naming pattern, which is obviously not fixed but rather generated on the fly. That's as opposed to a setting of "prompt me each time", which this Quick Backup feature would want to bypass.

Quote:I'm fine with it behaving that way (using the default filename), but I'm not sure if that is what every user would expect if they previously had entered a preferred filename.

I think if people want to change a filename (or directory), then Quick Backup is not for them. The use case is more like Time Machine: a nearly automated point-in-time history of snapshots. I think Quick Backup should use a timestamp-based filename all the time. That solves the overwriting issue and makes snapshots painless.