• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourites - Genres Filtering
Hi, 

I have read through some old posts, but couldn't see anything. 

I am trying to set my library up to return Favourite Ballads, Favourite Pop and so on. 
If I have a song I will assign it two genres "Ballad" and "Fav"

If I query Ballads, it will bring back everything.

What I can't figure is a way to search/filter "Ballad" and "Fav"  i.e. query on two genres? 
Is there a way, or is there perhaps a better approach please? 

Thank you. 

- Andy
The mechanism returns any song that contains the specified phrase i.e in your case, Ballad will return any song that contains that word.
It sounds as though you are wanting to only return those that have both Ballad and Fav.

One thing you could do is put all ballads into a collection called Ballads and all Fav into a collection called Fav (a song can be in multiple collections).

You can then filter by setting the collection to Ballads and the search text to Fav

Not ideal but may be sufficient for your situation.
Note: the filter allows you to specify multiple collections but this returns any  song in either collection whereas you want only those in both selections.

It should be quite easy to add the files into a new collection as you have already stored genre values; set the filter to one of the genre words , long press one of the songs until a check mark exists, use the floating toolbar to select all displayed songs, three vertical dots and "Add selected songs to a collection" (haven't checked the exact wording)

Geoff
PS: You could just name your collections Fav Ballads, Fav Pop etc; having created these collections, you could then remove the genre values (unless you any to keep them)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I don't currently support a way to select multiple values from a dropdown and "AND" them together, instead of the current "OR" logic. This has been covered on the forum before such as here: https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...-7977.html and here: https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/f...-4236.html

Adding a toggle for that is on my (very large) list of things to do.

Mike
"Ballad" or "Pop" are clearly genres, an additional collection as proposed by Geoff is not required.
If you put the value "Favourite" into a group other than "Genres" you can achieve what you want.
I would make  "Favourite"  a value of "Source" but you an use any group you like, most convenient are those with a specific selection box in the filter bar, "Collection" is also fine.
Now you can select "Pop" or "Ballad" on the "Genres" tab and filter for "Favourite" - done!
Or the other way round: select "Favourit" on the "Collections" or "Source Types" tab (depending on the group you have chosen) and filter for genre "Pop" or "Ballad"
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Thank you all very much for the replies. Sorry I missed the other threads; I spent quite  lot of time searching and reading. I really appreciate the suggestions and had a go at all of them, but I found something by accident. 

If I have genres called pop and favpop etc. There is a hidden AND function that works really well with no modification or extra fields. 

Mark up songs with genres: 2 as pop and 2 as favpop. 
   Query genre for "pop" returns 4 songs: pop AND "favpop" songs
   Query for "Fav" returns favourite songs across all genres
   Query "Favpop" actually only returns 2 Favpop songs EXCELLENT!

Similarly you can concatenate standard genres JazzDisco, for example, or any other combination. 
    You can query songs back using "Disco", or Jazz, or "Jazzdi" EXCELLENT!  - note the substring works too e.g. "zd" also works

It doesn't affect existing groups and it should be easy using the multiple selection approach in the Songs listing to quickly modify a specific list of songs. 

So my solution is to simply combine existing or modified Genres and then you can actually query using a subset of characters such as "vp" instead of FavPop. It is also case insensitive.... BONUS! 

Probably worth documenting as a workaround for the AND function. I am so pleased this works and I am sure it should help others. I suspect that it will work on any of the Search fields. 

P.S I found it also queries back "setlist1", which  does contain FavPop songs. If I remove them from the setlist, it is not included in the query result. 

Thanks again

- Andy
Sounds like you are specifying the genre as favpop i.e. a single value rather than 2 separate values

Your system won't work when you use two values because they will be separated by a comma. 
It would also depend on the order of the names being correct (actually, I've just tried using a comma in the Sources field and it didn't match any songs)

To me, I would prefer to put the Fav in a separate field (sources) or a Fav Collection and leave the Genre field for it's correct purpose.

There are usually multiple ways to achieve the desired result in computing so I suggest you go with the one that you feel suits you best.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Hi Geoff, 

I agree that it's good to have options and that your solution would be a lot cleaner. 

I will have another think tomorrow, but I have finished reading the manual and ready to start my upload or transfer from forscore. 

All the best, 
- Andy