• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Import Setting to include matching Audio, NOT
I just imported songs from forScore with the Import Setting to import the title matching .mp3 audio files, but MS didn't. When I go to the forScore import, the PDF files are active, but the matching songs are not. What am I doing wrong?
Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers; Bass Uke, Tenor Uke, Blues Harmonica, Tech Advisor
I responded to your email, but I'll also respond here:

First, you need to make sure to check Settings->Import Settings->Automatically Add Matching Audio. Second, if you are importing files locally on the device, you have to put both the PDF and the audio file under the MobileSheets before importing. The reason is due to file permissions - MobileSheets can't access a file that wasn't selected through Apple's file picker, so it can't grab and access the audio file in the same directory as the PDF. If they are under the MobileSheets folder, there is no restriction and this will work just fine. If you import through a cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive), the option to automatically add matching audio will also work without issue. This is just due to the very restrictive file system on iOS.

Mike
(06-25-2024, 07:38 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I responded to your email, but I'll also respond here:

First, you need to make sure to check Settings->Import Settings->Automatically Add Matching Audio. Second, if you are importing files locally on the device, you have to put both the PDF and the audio file under the MobileSheets before importing. The reason is due to file permissions - MobileSheets can't access a file that wasn't selected through Apple's file picker, so it can't grab and access the audio file in the same directory as the PDF. If they are under the MobileSheets folder, there is no restriction and this will work just fine. If you import through a cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive), the option to automatically add matching audio will also work without issue. This is just due to the very restrictive file system on iOS.

Mike

I'm going use the Finder to move all the PDF and mp3 files in forScore to MobileSheets and see if that works.
EDIT: Nope, that doesn't work. I then dropped all my audio files I have in a folder onto MS in the Finder, which got into MS, but it did not connect the audio to the matching sheet. Does this mean I have to attach the audio one at a time to the matching song sheet, 316 of them?
Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers; Bass Uke, Tenor Uke, Blues Harmonica, Tech Advisor
I tried copying all the PDF files and all the .mp3 files together in my Dropbox folder. I then went to do Import from Dropbox in MS, but only the PDF files show in the list to import.
"...you have to put both the PDF and the audio file under the MobileSheets before importing..."

Not clear what this means, how do I do that?
Just copy the PDF and audio file into the MobileSheets folder as shown in Apple's Files app when tapping on "On my iPad" (I believe that's the wording, but let me know if you can't find what I'm talking about). You can then use Import->Local File to select the PDF and it should pull in the audio file as well.

Mike
That worked, thank you very much. The terminology is, "In the Dock, click once on the Finder icon to open a Finder window, In the left navigation column, click once on the iPad. In the section to the right, click once on the Files tab. A list of iPad apps will show, including MobileSheets. Drop the PDF files and mp3 files on the MobileSheets icon. When copying is done, pick up the iPad and in MobileSheets, choose import>Local Files and choose the MobileSheets icon."

Note: the audio import seems to not recognize apostrophes.
Problem, when I add meta data to a song sheet, like the key, when I click OK, it goes to the Files tab and requires that I choose a song sheet, which then creates a duplicate on the Song list. This is getting rather frustrating.
I just discovered something else, after importing, doesn't matter from where, the song title is not in the meta data, even though the song is in the Song list. What is going on there? It was there before I imported the mp3 at the same time, now with the mp3 files in MobileSheets, this happened. I've tried to import three different times, same thing. Do I have something else wrong in the Import Settings?
I got it to work by deleting the app and re-dowloaded, then made sure the Import and Library settings were right. Whew. I still wish it could have been done by importing from forScore, including all the metadata.
I'm not sure I exactly understood what was happening there. If you want to add metadata to a song, you would just long press it to select it on the library screen, tap "Edit Song" at the top of the screen, and then you should be able to add fields on the Fields tab and tap OK (no changes have to be made on the files tab). You can also go to the Audio tab and add audio files if needed when doing this.

I really want to support extracting some of the data out of forScore files, but I just haven't had time yet to reverse engineer the file format. 

Mike
Thanks Mike, I know I could add metadata individually for each song. I like the idea that you're working on importing all from forScore.

In deleting the app and redoing the importing, I neglected to first setup different libraries. On importing, it all went into default, now I have to start all over again.
I'm sorry to hear you've encountered those headaches. I definitely plan to add a status indicator for the active library as well as a way to switch libraries directly from the library screen. It's on the very long list of things to do...

Mike
I'm getting to know MS in preparation for setting up a friend with it. The first thing I will do is setup the Libraries. To me, that's an extremely important element to tell people; if they have even the slightest reason to to separate their songs, they should before anything else, setup libraries and be careful to only use those, not the default.