• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows installation keeps breaking post Android connectivity
Hi

I am using Windows and Android. This is the sequence of steps and MobileSheets has stopped working the same way everytime. 

1. Install MobileSheets on Windows, load a few sheets and set the midi sysex to select a registration on the Genos 2. Pick any sheet and the Genos 2 loads the correct registration  - everything is fine. Come back another day and Windows is still fine. 
  2. Plug in and select a few sheets on android - everything is fine on Android
  3. Plug back in to Windows 
  4. Click on edit song | midi | link button 
  5. Windows says: Connect to your Genos.PSR-SX Keyboard First
  6. Restart Windows AND Genos 2 - you still get error on line 5
  7. At random and nothing to do with Genos 2 restart if you get past the connect message occasionally you get a message about waiting for a registration and then link failed after a few more seconds
  8. Do another reinstall of Mobilesheets on Windows and everything is fine, until you connect to android again. Again, connection issue messages regardless of restarting the Genos 2 and or Windows 

1. This is repeatable and I have done 3 reinstalls on Windows which fixes the issue everytime without fail. The sysex must be right as it doesn't change.
  2. Problems only happen after you connect back to Windows once you have been connected to android. Without Android, you can come back to Windows as many times as you like, day after day, and everything is fine - UNTIL you connect to android again. 
  3. Although Windows doesn't work, plug back in to android and android works ok. Whenever you want to use Windows I have to reinstall MobileSheets to get things working; simply restarting Windows and/or the Genos 2 does not work. 

I was using USB-A to USB-B printer cable and so I bought a USB-C to USB-B cable, but it is the same problem. I think it might have worked ok up till I installed the Companion and Universal ADB Drivers. Not really sure. I have uninstalled the Companion for now. 

I would have thought that this was a blocking issue on the Genos 2, but restarting/replugging the G2 doesn't help. Reinstalling Mobilesheets fix the issue is a real pain. I don't mind running a registry update or something, but nothing should have changed from the last time the G2 was connected to Windows. 

Is there something I am missing/a USB reset/or some troubleshooting that I can do? Due to certain issues I need to be able to switch between the two platforms. It is easier to do some things on Windows with a keyboard and mouse, than it is on Android. 

Thanks 
- Andy

PS Added a couple of screen shots on a sheet I was trying to set up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm really not sure why that's happening. I'm assuming after you connect to Android, then connect back to Windows, everything still shows as connected under Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, correct? If not, make sure to establish the connection and see if things work. If so, try closing MobileSheets, delete C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState\midi_settings.xml, then restart MobileSheets, connect to the device and see if it works. If so, there is something going wrong with the saved information about the MIDI device, so I'd like you to save a copy of that file before connecting to Android, then delete it, connect to Android, connect back to Windows, then send me the second copy of that file so I can compare the two. 

Also, if you have the FastSpring version of MobileSheets, the file is instead under C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Zubersoft.MobileSheets_9fx6hze9e3cne\LocalState

I hope we can figure this out for you.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike, 
You referred to LocalState\midi_settings.xml and I couldn't find it anywhere on the C drive
This file doesn't exist. I have only ever set the midi connection to the G2

Start point - Windows not talking to the G2 after restarting evertyhing this morning. 

Reinstalled MobileSheets, restart Windows FIRST TIME and G2 BUT now have no connection to the Genos 2.

Unplugging the G2 says MIDI Device 2 - Digital Keyboard [3][0] has been detached.
Device manager shows 2 devices - USB Audio 2.0 cannot start (code 10) -see images
  The one that cannot start: Details tab USB Audio 2.0
  The one that does start: USB Audio Device 
Uninstall the defective one leaves the ok device installed
  The connection still does not work
Unplug the G2 and both devices disappear
  Restart MobileSheets - Error: waiting for registration message
Scan for hardware changes in windows and the good and bad device drivers are back
Update the drivers by searching Microsoft - says that they are both good
Uninstall the drivers and restart windows

WORKING AFTER RESTARTING WINDOWS AGAIN
---------------------------------------
    Windows talks to G2 with the same 2 drivers. USB Audio 2 still not started (code 10)

I have copied all the files under 41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr in all cases. Will email I can't upload here. 

I am out of time to plug in Android again, but perhaps there is enough here for you to be able to progress. 

- Andy
Mike, 
Sent email with files but I am convinced that the problem is here somewhere. 
midi 2 works, 3 doesn't
Sorry but I have no clue how to change that to test further. 
- Andy

Hi Mike, 

Some more info about the midi ports. Not sure if this helps. 

- Andy

Hi Mike, 
I deleted all the Digital Keyboard devices (i.e. not the USB 2) 
Restarted the PC
Device manager shows one device is ok, the other not, but it was working before in this configuration/ 
Back to the connection error (connect your keyboard first), so I might have been wrong about the midi ports. 
Thanks 
- Andy

Something's not quite right... I'm looking through the default.xml file in the directories you sent, and I'm not able to find default_midi_input_ids, or default_midi_output_ids. There should be an entry that tracks what devices have been selected under Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections. It looks to me like you have not made any selections and are just relying on MobileSheets to automatically connect to the first device it sees, but that could be problematic, as it may not be connecting to the ports you actually want it to connect to. Can you please verify whether or not you've been selecting the input/output ports to connect to?

On a side note, I was wrong about the midi_settings.xml file, as that's only on Android. I never changed the Windows version to match how Android is doing it.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike, 
Well I learnt a lot about midi's, ports and drivers that I really didn't know much about Smile That was a lot of troubleshooting. 

All I ever did in settings was set the option to Genos/PSR etc
I have never set anything else. 
Midi Receive and Send channels both are set to 1 - never touched those
Allow multiple midi channels is off
Configure Midi Connections has nothing selected as I really didn't know what to set - should they all be set? 
As you say, maybe that was a bit random/fingers crossed

- Andy
Yes, you can select all of them, as that shouldn't cause any problems, or you can try just selecting the first one or two of each. It depends a little bit on the keyboard itself. Regardless, I think that's the source of the problem. When you switched from Android back to Windows, it probably changed the port identifiers, and that threw things off. You may need to reselect the ports in the settings when that happens if they've changed.

Mike
Hi Mike, 
I set all the midi connections as the top option in each of the selection was not working. I set all 4 of the ports and successfully switched between the two. That has happened once or twice before, so I will do some more switching and update tomorrow. I presume that I missed an instruction to do that somewhere. 
- Andy