• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
import+overwrite still adds to setlist
This could be expected behavior, but it seems like a bug to me. 

I think the steps to reproduce are:

1. Use MobileSheets on macOS (haven't tried elsewhere)
2. Modify a PDF in the Finder that you already have imported to MobileSheets and added to a Setlist
3. Right-click > Open with Mobile Sheets
4. I don't recall al the prompts next, but one of them is to overwrite the existing song with the same name. Say yes.

The result is that the overwrite works, but I think it then adds a new entry to the (bottom of the) setlist. Normally, the latter would make sense except that I've effectively told it to do a Swap File, and a swap should never add to a playlist.

Thoughts?
If that setlist was active when you quit MobileSheets, then that's where it will open, which will automatically put the import in that setlist. To avoid that, don't right click the song, but launch MobileSheets from the Dock if you put it there, go to the existing song edit meta data window, then Files, delete the song, then click the + sign on the right to import the new version of the song.
Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers; Bass Uke, Tenor Uke, Blues Harmonica, Tech Advisor
Opening a file outside MobileSheets is going to import it. You are seeing a file conflict, and when that occurs, MobileSheets is asking how it should handle the fact that there is already a PDF with the same name in the storage location. Overwrite just means overwrite the file, but a new song will still be created. I should mention that this only happens if MobileSheets does not recognize that an existing song already exists that uses that same file in the storage location. In that situation, you'll see a different option appear - "Update Existing Song with New File". That would do what you are expecting. My recommendation is not to import the file from outside MobileSheets, and instead select the song on the library screen, tap the three dots at the top right and then "Swap File". You can then swap in the new version of the PDF.

Mike
i think I should avoid answering, there's a lot I don't know. Good to know Mike Z.
Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers; Bass Uke, Tenor Uke, Blues Harmonica, Tech Advisor
(07-21-2024, 03:48 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: My recommendation is not to import the file from outside MobileSheets, and instead select the song on the library screen...

Aww, man. I thought that I had discovered a secret and huge productivity boost! I do a lot of editing of PDFs outside MS and swap them in. I don't typically have the file searched in MS, or MS even running when I'm ready to import a modified PDF. But just doing Open With > MobileSheets not only launches the app and finds the file, but initiates a Swap. Genius! 

I just did a bunch of experiments. It does bring up the Import Settings dialog that shows that it intends to add it to the Setlist if the Setlist is open on the screen. So I guess that makes sense and gives you the chance to de-select that. 

With that in mind, I think I'm going to keep using the Open With feature in macOS for now...

Thanks!
You can certainly do that if you want - you just need to ensure that the file you are importing has a name that matches a file in the storage location which is actively used by one or more songs. If the "Create Subdirectory per Song" feature was toggled at some point, and some files are in directories and some are not, then you could have a situation where this logic doesn't work as expected.

Mike
Good to know. Thanks!