• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Files Folder sub-folder
I see in my iPad Files folder, a MobileSheets folder and a way to add a sub-folder. Would that be a way to separate Libraries so that when I have a song with the same title and different arrangements, updating one of them will not effect the other?
Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers; Bass Uke, Tenor Uke, Blues Harmonica, Tech Advisor
If you then import the files from within the MobileSheets folder, yes, that should work to allow for duplicate file names with different content.

Mike
OK, I'll work on that, thanks Mike.
Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers; Bass Uke, Tenor Uke, Blues Harmonica, Tech Advisor
Uh oh, on my iPad I opened the Files app, opened the MS folder, created a new sub-folder titled AITP. Then I touched Select upper right, then touched the songs in only the A section, then touched Move bottom center, then touched the AITP folder.

I then opened MS, which was showing my CCS library, changed library to AITP, but there is nothing there now. I had about 200 songs before I moved the few A songs to the AITP sub-folder. Did I not understand your post?

In the Finder, when I go to the iPad, then Files, then MobileSheets, I see all the songs there from both libraries. I tried to do a Sync, but that didn't help. I have all the songs for AITP on my computer and can re-import them to the AITP library, I assume when I do, MS will ask to replace all those songs. Yes, it did.

I only had about 20 of the 400 or so songs with the same title, so I added AITP to those titles for now, until you work out separating the storage areas.
So I was answering your question just from the perspective of file management - not from how to set up your libraries. Moving files will not change anything in MobileSheets itself (other than the files failing to load). You need to move the files into the correct location first (and make a copy if you want those files separated by library), then switch the library in MobileSheets, then tap Import->Local File and then you can select all of the files in the subdirectory you created. This will reimport those files into the second library. This will not include any annotations, metadata or any other changes you made in the primary library. If your goal is to duplicate all of the data in the app between the libraries, that is not currently supported and is a more complex topic. I can provide instructions for all that if needed, but it's going to involve having to start over with a clean slate. The easiest way to handle that in the future will be when I add isolated storage between libraries (which is going to place the files for each library under a subdirectory named after that library) which is planned for either a 3.9.X release or 3.10.0.

Mike
Mike, just wondering whether isolated storage will be the only option when you make the change. I use multiple libraries as a workaround for versioning at the moment. The majority of my files are string quartet parts with one pdf having all the parts for a given piece. I have 4 libraries with one for each of the four players. The libraries all have the same pieces but they each refer to the pages of the pdf that have their individual part. Having a shared folder for the libraries means that each pdf only needs to be stored once. Do you know how a setup like mine will be affected by the plan to change to a separate folder for each library?
Guy
It won't be affected at all, because the isolated storage is optional and will only apply to new libraries (you'd have to explicitly check a checkbox when creating a new library, and I haven't decided yet if I will allow the storage to be changed after the library is created, as things get much more complicated if I want to support that).

Mike
(08-20-2024, 01:07 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: It won't be affected at all, because the isolated storage is optional and will only apply to new libraries (you'd have to explicitly check a checkbox when creating a new library, and I haven't decided yet if I will allow the storage to be changed after the library is created, as things get much more complicated if I want to support that).   Mike
Sounds like a plan. As far as I'm concerned, once I have a truly autonomous library, I don't see a reason to change it.