• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing-Preview is taking extremely long
Hi there,

yesterday I used mobile sheets to work within a piece and finally wanted to print 4 pages out of an about 78 pages (and about 68Mb) document. Here, the printing pages dialog, where the preview of the pages is being generated, takes forever...or probably does not work anymore, I cancelled after 4 minutes at least.

Is it normal that this takes so long? Can this preview be disabled somewhere, because I was also not able to print any page - I guess due to this issue?

Additionally, I would be great if there was a checkbox or a button, to allow a quick deselection of all pages (per default all pages are selected).

thx, best regards,
sg
Device: Oneplus Pad 2
I don't have a lot of control over the print dialog (it's built into the framework). You may want to consider using Share->Export files instead as that will be considerably faster.

Mike
(10-02-2024, 09:44 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I don't have a lot of control over the print dialog (it's built into the framework). You may want to consider using Share->Export files instead as that will considerably faster.

Mike

I see. But one strange thing is, that e.g. when I use Onedrive and open a PDF there and go to "print" - then the same Print dialog opens and all the preview pages are instantly rendered and visible - just as I would expect it. Huh
That's not comparing apples to apples - I'm using Microsoft's UWP framework, and the print dialog built into the UWP framework requires every thumbnail from the PDF to be rendered and provided. I'm not sure why you are seeing those issues with the long rendering time - if you want to share the PDF with mike@zubersoft.com, I can take a look at it. If you are using OneDrive in a browser, that's using the browser's print functionality which is most likely using the standard OS print infrastructure (that I can't access from UWP because Microsoft restricts a huge amount of things with UWP). My goal is to switch away from UWP in the future which would open the possibility to change how this is all handled.

Mike
(10-02-2024, 05:02 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's not comparing apples to apples - I'm using Microsoft's UWP framework, and the print dialog built into the UWP framework requires every thumbnail from the PDF to be rendered and provided. I'm not sure why you are seeing those issues with the long rendering time - if you want to share the PDF with mike@zubersoft.com, I can take a look at it. If you are using OneDrive in a browser, that's using the browser's print functionality which is most likely using the standard OS print infrastructure (that I can't access from UWP because Microsoft restricts a huge amount of things with UWP). My goal is to switch away from UWP in the future which would open the possibility to change how this is all handled.

Mike

Ok, I just thought as the dialogs are identical, it's relevant to find the problem.
Just sent you an email with a problematic PDF.

thx for your support!
I missed that this was in reference to an Android device, not a Windows device, so what I said above is not accurate. On Android, I am still using the built-in print framework, but it makes sense that it would match what you are seeing in another application, as that application is probably using the built-in print UI as well. I'm definitely not sure why you would be seeing a delay on an Android device though.

Mike
Just to close this. Mike fortunately found a working solution to this very quickly and it will be part in the next release.

thx again Mike.
Thanks for following up - I forgot to post to provide an update. When printing PDFs, it will now print significantly faster, as the original file is copied and the copy is altered as needed for the print job (versus generating a new PDF from scratch). This won't work if certain settings are enabled such as black & white. When printing images, text or chord pro files, a PDF still has to be generated for the print service, so those files will not print any faster than before.

Mike