• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setlist Song Order Shuffle tool
I found this tool on UnrealBook really handy, and a great way to refresh setlist songs order that was instant and produced quite good results.
Personally, I would find no use for this. I have setlists and these are re-ordered, usually just prior to the gig, based on what sort of audience it looks like and what we think they would want to hear.

I'm not against re-ordering setlists (see above) but I feel they should be ordered in some sort of logical fashion, not just shuffled around indiscriminately.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
There is currently a shuffle feature available in MS Pro that I'm reworking to be a little easier to use. You will be able to set how you want the setlist ordered (a-z, manual, shuffle), and if you select shuffle, and option will be available in the action bar overflow menu to "reshuffle".

Mike
(11-25-2014, 10:18 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Personally, I would find no use for this. I have setlists and these are re-ordered, usually just prior to the gig, based on what sort of audience it looks like and what we think they would want to hear.

I'm not against re-ordering setlists (see above) but I feel they should be ordered in some sort of logical fashion, not just shuffled around indiscriminately.

Well we will just have to disagree. I have been creating setlists for about 30 years so I am fully aware of the need for specific gigs to set songs in an order that best suits how one wants a gig to flow. However when doing smaller intimate gigs, bars restaurants etc, then being able to randomly create a setlist is great. It really can refresh what you are playing. Much the same as shuffling an album (music) ...listening to songs in a different order almost creates a new album experience!

But yeah, whatever floats your boat is fine with me Big Grin

(11-25-2014, 11:11 AM)Zuberman Wrote: There is currently a shuffle feature available in MS Pro that I'm reworking to be a little easier to use. You will be able to set how you want the setlist ordered (a-z, manual, shuffle), and if you select shuffle, and option will be available in the action bar overflow menu to "reshuffle".

Mike

Thanks Mike, that will be appreciated.

Dennis
(11-30-2014, 07:47 AM)pax_eterna Wrote: Well we will just have to disagree. I have been creating setlists for about 30 years so I am fully aware of the need for specific gigs to set songs in an order that best suits how one wants a gig to flow.

I think you're right - we will have to agree to disagree, although I'm not sure that the years we have been creating setlists has any bearing on the matter (for the record, I've been doing it for over 50 years Sad and it's about time I got someone else to do it!).

(11-30-2014, 07:47 AM)pax_eterna Wrote: However when doing smaller intimate gigs, bars restaurants etc, then being able to randomly create a setlist is great. It really can refresh what you are playing. Much the same as shuffling an album (music) ...listening to songs in a different order almost creates a new album experience!

I suppose, if you are playing a similar sort of musical style throughout the evening (as you most likely might be doing in, say, a restaurant) shuffling would work, if only for the performers. However, if the band plays across a number of styles/genres, then shuffling a setlist could produce some strange relationships between successive numbers - which is why I wouldn't do it.

I think you are being a little unfair to music producers, you have no idea of the thought that is often put into song order and track gapping, only to have someone upset their carefully crafted arrangement.

(11-25-2014, 11:11 AM)Zuberman Wrote: There is currently a shuffle feature available in MS Pro that I'm reworking to be a little easier to use. You will be able to set how you want the setlist ordered (a-z, manual, shuffle), and if you select shuffle, and option will be available in the action bar overflow menu to "reshuffle".

Good old Mike - problem solved and we should both be happy Smile .
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
It wasn't a problem in the first place - it is after all a suggestion forum Wink

I agree that at a dance gig that the order is very important, although having said that many is the time I have had to drastically modify a setlist dynamically! I am sure you have too.

Re producers - well, I reckon there are some albums they DID muck up the order. But even when the order is perfect, after the 20th listen a shuffle does refresh it Smile
Personally, I love this feature for practicing. I like to hit the random "?" in my jazz standards collection and work on the tune that pops up. Don't know why, but I like it (granted, it's not an essential feature--rather a nice supplement).

But, the feature I am most looking forward to in MS Pro is being able to use setlists in a way that allows me to hold down the pedal to get to the beginning/end of the song I'm in without worrying about skipping to other songs. (And tapping the screen to get to the next song).