• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie with problems uploading
(01-09-2016, 02:07 PM)faeriegrove Wrote:
(01-08-2016, 07:01 PM)sciurius Wrote: And what would you expect MSPro to do with a .doc file?
um.....display it, same as a pdf?

I assume you are a banjo player, and you can read and play the simple chord charts like you showed us.

Now I give you a violin, and the score of a violin concierto by Paganini. I expect you to play it, same as you do with the chords chart on the banjo.

Some things are not as trivial as you may think.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(01-09-2016, 08:33 PM)sciurius Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 02:07 PM)faeriegrove Wrote:
(01-08-2016, 07:01 PM)sciurius Wrote: And what would you expect MSPro to do with a .doc file?
um.....display it, same as a pdf?

I assume you are a banjo player, and you can read and play the simple chord charts like you showed us.

Now I give you a violin, and the score of a violin concierto by Paganini. I expect you to play it, same as you do with the chords chart on the banjo.

Some things are not as trivial as you may think.
Your assumption is correct, though I do learn from tabulature also (attached) 

I do understand the difference between a score and a chord chart.  Just not a .doc and .pdf

If I could hear the violin concerto first, I might not need the score in order to play it!   (that is, if I played the violin)

My inexperience here, is in understanding how files are structured and how computer programs work.   

I would rather spend the time playing music (and getting my music on the tablet!) than learning about computers.  
But that's why you guys are here, right?  
Thanks for the help.

Attached Files
.pdf   Sailor's Hornpipe.pdf (Size: 53.08 KB / Downloads: 5)
A few things that might help.....

First, if you want to create PDF files then I would download and install something like PDFCreator

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

or the FoxIT PDF reader, which includes a PDF "printer"

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

These will create a new "Printer" called either PDFCreator or FOXIt Reader PDF Printer. Now any program than can print can create PDFs. So open your doc files, hit the print button, choose PDFCreator or FoxIT as your printer and print. This will open a window to save the PDF somewhere. Then you can copy the PDF file to MSPro and view it just like the original.

Now for your chord charts. When you have copied the chords from a web site, instead of opening Word, open Notepad and paste the chords in there. Then when you save the file it will be a .txt text file. This can easily be changed to a ChordPro file by changing the .txt to .cho (Although I think MSPro will import the .txt anyway). The benefit of this is that you can transpose the chords within MSPro. There is some information about the ChordPro commands in the MSPro manual (press the 3 dot menu button top right and choose manual). These will let you do things like setting titles and changing font sizes.

HTH

Andy
That was very helpful Andy, thank you so much for your response!
I'm not a fan of Chordpro, i prefer proper music files (or chord charts) but I was pesented with a ton of Chordpro files by a singer I'd been asked to work with and they were a bit 'messy' to say theleast. I found a program called Chordsmith, which automatically translates from test to Chordpro (and vice-versa) very useful. You can download it here . http://www.statistics101.net/chordsmith/...tbook1.asp
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I don't like chordpro much either. If you don't know the melody it's very inconvenient to fake even comping . Leadsheets or proper chord charts are are much more preferable.
(01-11-2016, 03:00 AM)faeriegrove Wrote: That was very helpful Andy, thank you so much for your response!

I am using LibreOffice which is a -totally free- alternative to Microsoft Word.  This program can read most text files and when you're happy with your document (song, whatever) you click on an Icon which creates a PDF version of that document, simple as that.  And the PDF document is what MS Pro works with.