• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In search of a 12-13 inch tablet with a 4:3 aspect ratio
I have an Acer Switch Alpha 12 that, according to http://pixensity.com/list/tablet/ is using a 3:2 ratio screen. It works well for me. It's a bit small (but still usable to me) when in landscape mode displaying two pages of piano music at once as long as I am familiar with the piece. It also works great in portrait mode with the bluetooth pedal set to scroll half a vertical page per tap.

...Doug
Quote:Thanks! Does having it 3:2 bother you at all? I know that it's not as good as having 4:3 but is much better than 12:9.

I use it in landscape with two pages view and I don't have any problem with that at all. With proper cropping whole screen is fully used.

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
***Bump***

So I got myself a Trekstor Surftab Theatre 13.3, mainly because it has a big screen. When I got it, I was a bit turned off by the screen ratio. It's 1920 x 1080, 16-9. I feel that because of the A4 pages we use over here, the ratio is wrong. I tried the cropping tool in MS, wich definitely bettered the view, but still..  I guess it was something I didn't expect or take into account. 

Now i'm deciding whether or not return the tablet. Obviously the price range is great (around €200). It has no problem loading large pdf's. Maybe a bit much reflection, but that might be corrected. And of course it's large. It's more like a plank you can hit someone with Wink   I wanted large, because i'm already wearing glasses, and it's not getting any better... 

I guess this is an endless discussion, but are their any people with advise? Stick with this one? It's my first step going digital with my sheet music. What I read was that 4:3 ratio is better, but then usually the android version is very low. I'm afraid that next year or so the specs of MS go up and the tablet is of no use anymore. Apple seems to be in 4:3, but they are expensive.. I'm already buying a new Roland HP 601 too, so i'm trying to find an acceptable solution here... 

Regards,
Mario
(05-01-2018, 02:49 AM)digikleuter Wrote: ***Bump***

So I got myself a Trekstor Surftab Theatre 13.3, mainly because it has a big screen. When I got it, I was a bit turned off by the screen ratio. It's 1920 x 1080, 16-9. I feel that because of the A4 pages we use over here, the ratio is wrong. I tried the cropping tool in MS, wich definitely bettered the view, but still..  I guess it was something I didn't expect or take into account. 

Now i'm deciding whether or not return the tablet. Obviously the price range is great (around €200). It has no problem loading large pdf's. Maybe a bit much reflection, but that might be corrected. And of course it's large. It's more like a plank you can hit someone with Wink   I wanted large, because i'm already wearing glasses, and it's not getting any better... 

I guess this is an endless discussion, but are their any people with advise? Stick with this one? It's my first step going digital with my sheet music. What I read was that 4:3 ratio is better, but then usually the android version is very low. I'm afraid that next year or so the specs of MS go up and the tablet is of no use anymore. Apple seems to be in 4:3, but they are expensive.. I'm already buying a new Roland HP 601 too, so i'm trying to find an acceptable solution here... 

Regards,
Mario

Sounds similar to my tablet(s).  If the price was good and it works (you should be able to see the full charts pretty easily), I would tend to keep it.  MobileSheets (especially if you do not use audio), although very useful (and a great program), is basically a way of organizing and viewing pdfs (which uses much less resources than viewing videos or even surfing the web).  It does not require a powerful processor.  I have used inexpensive 13.3 tablets and been pretty happy with them.  Updates from MS have not caused a problem for me.
(05-01-2018, 04:46 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:

Regards,
Mario

Sounds similar to my tablet(s).  If the price was good and it works (you should be able to see the full charts pretty easily), I would tend to keep it.  MobileSheets (especially if you do not use audio), although very useful (and a great program), is basically a way of organizing and viewing pdfs (which uses much less resources than viewing videos or even surfing the web).  It does not require a powerful processor.  I have used inexpensive 13.3 tablets and been pretty happy with them.  Updates from MS have not caused a problem for me.

Thx for the reply. I guess it's not so much the specs that have me worried, just that I would be better off with some 4:3 tablet, maybe even a lower budget one that I'm not aware of. And where everyone says: sure that's much better.
(05-01-2018, 05:31 AM)digikleuter Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 04:46 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:

Regards,
Mario

Thx for the reply. I guess it's not so much the specs that have me worried, just that I would be better off with some 4:3 tablet, maybe even a lower budget one that I'm not aware of. And where everyone says: sure that's much better.
I haven't spent much time on this issue, but amd I right that 16-9 is basically longer and thinner than 4:3?  Considering that software menus are on top and bottom (and there is nothing one the sides), maybe that is better?
The Surface Pro 3 has a 3:2 ratio with a 12-inch screen. That is somewhere between the 4:3 and 16:10. This is really a nice balance it came under your budget.
And another option Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 which is the aspect ratio 4:3 and 3:2 are garbage but the screen size is 9.5 I guess.

If you need more you can find here Best Android Tablets
I have been happy with this.  It is certainly not a high end tablet.  It is probably weaker in the tablet pen department.

But, it has been fully functional for me and for the price, I bought a back up :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NuVision-13-3...MYQAvD_BwE