• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup reminder and/or auto-backups
Would it be possible to ad some kind of backup reminder, like pop-up windows saying "Last backup was done more than 14 days ago, would you like to do new full library backup?" ? 

Or advanced version of previous request - Would it be possible to add ability to perform scheduled automatic backups to specific folder?

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
I suppose such features would naturally have an option to be turned off, and I'm sure Mike could make this happen.

However, I always make a backup (on my PC) after making any major changes. If nothing has changed (even after 14 days), I wouldn't think a backup would be needed?

I use Google calendar for reminders like this. 

I wouldn't want such a reminder popping up in the middle of practice, or heaven forbid, during a performance!

Same goes for the automatic option. Could MSP (or the tablet) become sluggish or maybe even unusable if an auto backup started at the wrong time?
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
Of course this would be optional so user can choose if he wants to use it or not. Also it could be set that it will show this only when app is started or only in library view, etc. Auto-backup could also be done via some kind of pop-up window with something like "Autobackup is going to start in 30 seconds, press any key if you want to continue in regular work". There are more ways how this could be implemented, I just want to ask if it's possible and if so, we can discuss the best way of implementation for majority of users.

I can certainly look into adding a reminder, but library backups can not be performed in the background. If the library changed in any way while the backup was being performed, it could cause major issues. So this would just be a popup notification, and if you said you wanted to back up the library, it would take you to the library backup screen. In theory I could pass a flag to immediately start the backup with a predetermined name, but I'm not sure if that would be best.

Mike
I'd suggest looking into backup (database and files) with syncing via  foldersync or similar apps.

This can be scheduled. Additionally it's incremental and can be used to sync with other devices.
As said before: I think a backup should be triggered by changes, not by time. For a reminder after a certain time a calendar is the way to go. It's not worth implementing that in MSP.
I regularly use TeamDrive / GoogleDrive / FolderSync to sync my MSP library and use Sciurius' MSP tools combined with batch files to adapt mobilesheets.db to different devices. 
Adapting  mobilesheets.db is required as soon as a Win10 device is synced with an Android device or if different Android versions are involved.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Ok, it seems that it would be hard to implement it in a way it would be useful. I already use sync via OneDrive and regular auto-backups of this folder (with LocalState folder sync to that OneDrive folder via FreeFileSync) to my NAS. I just also wanted to have full backup in single .msb file. In a rare (and not seen so far) scenario I need to make quick installation of MS into new device and quickly load my whole library, one file seems to be better and easier.

(12-08-2017, 03:28 AM)NeoCZ Wrote: Ok, it seems that it would be hard to implement it in a way it would be useful. I already use sync via OneDrive and regular auto-backups of this folder (with LocalState folder sync to that OneDrive folder via FreeFileSync) to my NAS. I just also wanted to have full backup in single .msb file. In a rare (and not seen so far) scenario I need to make quick installation of MS into new device and quickly load my whole library, one file seems to be better and easier.

Personally, I would probably pass on this function. 

Is there an annotation update you are working on Mike (still hoping for an line with an arrow pointer at the end!).

Jeff
It's in the pipeline, finishing the synchronization features first, then annotations are up next.

Mike
(12-08-2017, 03:28 AM)NeoCZ Wrote: Ok, it seems that it would be hard to implement it in a way it would be useful. I already use sync via OneDrive and regular auto-backups of this folder (with LocalState folder sync to that OneDrive folder via FreeFileSync) to my NAS. I just also wanted to have full backup in single .msb file. In a rare (and not seen so far) scenario I need to make quick installation of MS into new device and quickly load my whole library, one file seems to be better and easier.

I agree that a full MSP backup is useful. I only doubt that implementing a reminder or starting the backup automatically in MSP makes sense. It's so easy start the backup manually and keeping in mind when to do so compared to making it work in MSP so that everybody is happy with the way it works.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I would wait for the incremental backup feature before considering auto-backups of any kind.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).