• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using One Book For Many Songs
I read this in the manual, but I'm not sure how to do it correctly. I have my storage set to /sdcard/mobilesheets. I have an individual folder for each song that I create, and I have audio tracks in each folder. Now I want to add 1 book that contains a lot of songs. For the first song, I used the companion app, dragged the book over to the app window, and created the first song. When I go to my tablet storage, the entire book is in the folder for the first song. Now, I want to add a second song. How do I point to the book in it's original location, and select the pages to create the second song? I know it's something to do with the Set Copy Options dialogue, but I'm not doing it correctly. Also, I don't want this to be a global thing. When I'm using sheet music, I want 1 song per folder, but when I'm using a collections book, I'd like to have the book stored in a central location, and link songs from it. Can I do it both ways, or do I have to decide on 1 method and stick with it? Thanks.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I unchecked the copy option and added a song using the tablet (not the companion app). When it asked for the song location, I pointed to the book that was already stored on my tablet. Now, I don't have a folder for that particular song, but the song was created. Is that the way that it's supposed to work? And if I wanted to add a track to that song, I'd just put is somewhere and link to it?

So it looks like I will have a combinations of individual song folders and some songs that won't have folders because they're linked from books. Does that sound right? Thanks.
(07-25-2013, 09:59 PM)Snuggs Wrote: I read this in the manual, but I'm not sure how to do it correctly. I have my storage set to /sdcard/mobilesheets. I have an individual folder for each song that I create, and I have audio tracks in each folder. Now I want to add 1 book that contains a lot of songs. For the first song, I used the companion app, dragged the book over to the app window, and created the first song. When I go to my tablet storage, the entire book is in the folder for the first song. Now, I want to add a second song. How do I point to the book in it's original location, and select the pages to create the second song? I know it's something to do with the Set Copy Options dialogue, but I'm not doing it correctly. Also, I don't want this to be a global thing. When I'm using sheet music, I want 1 song per folder, but when I'm using a collections book, I'd like to have the book stored in a central location, and link songs from it. Can I do it both ways, or do I have to decide on 1 method and stick with it? Thanks.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I unchecked the copy option and added a song using the tablet (not the companion app). When it asked for the song location, I pointed to the book that was already stored on my tablet. Now, I don't have a folder for that particular song, but the song was created. Is that the way that it's supposed to work? And if I wanted to add a track to that song, I'd just put is somewhere and link to it?

So it looks like I will have a combinations of individual song folders and some songs that won't have folders because they're linked from books. Does that sound right? Thanks.

I think there was another post along the same lines. I think if the book is in pdf format, you can't break it down into separate songs. I think instead you have to use the bookmark function to separate songs within the book.

But, take a look at other posts, because I recall reading a post about this. (I think if you convert the pdf to image files for each page, then each song could be in separate files. )
Thanks Jeff. That sounds logical. Since the app supports images, an image of a few pages can be saved as an individual file. I don't know why I'm so crazy about having each song in it's own folder. Making individual images will take up more room anyway, so why bother?
(07-26-2013, 01:40 AM)Snuggs Wrote: Thanks Jeff. That sounds logical. Since the app supports images, an image of a few pages can be saved as an individual file. I don't know why I'm so crazy about having each song in it's own folder. Making individual images will take up more room anyway, so why bother?

I only use pdf's. And if have a book with multiple songs, I scan them in song by song.

I think one benefit of an image file is you can arrange the pages any way you want. So instead of having to return to (for example) the first, you can just insert the first page of the song (again) after ther third page. Something like that . . .
(07-26-2013, 05:28 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:40 AM)Snuggs Wrote: Thanks Jeff. That sounds logical. Since the app supports images, an image of a few pages can be saved as an individual file. I don't know why I'm so crazy about having each song in it's own folder. Making individual images will take up more room anyway, so why bother?

I only use pdf's. And if have a book with multiple songs, I scan them in songs by song.

I think one benefit of an image file is you can arrange the pages any way you want. So instead of having to return to (for example) the first, you can just insert the first page of the song (again) after ther third page. Something like that . . .

Yeah, I hear you. But if I don't need to repeat (ds or anything) I don't need to use images for books. I can just designate the start and end page for each song. It's just that I won't have a separate folder for each song. At least that's what I'm asking about. I'm trying to find out if I'm understanding it.
(07-26-2013, 07:30 AM)Snuggs Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 05:28 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:

I only use pdf's. And if have a book with multiple songs, I scan them in songs by song.

Yeah, I hear you. But if I don't need to repeat (ds or anything) I don't need to use images for books. I can just designate the start and end page for each song. It's just that I won't have a separate folder for each song. At least that's what I'm asking about. I'm trying to find out if I'm understanding it.

That sounds right to me.
It sounds like you definitely have the hang of how it works. As you've noticed, it's a little tedious to link to the same file multiple times - I'm still working on new features to make it easier to split up pdfs with a large number of songs in them. In addition, the next major update (v4.1.0) will allow you to enter your own custom page ordering, so it will no longer be necessary to use images to take advantage of that.

Mike
(07-26-2013, 04:05 PM)Zuberman Wrote: It sounds like you definitely have the hang of how it works. As you've noticed, it's a little tedious to link to the same file multiple times - I'm still working on new features to make it easier to split up pdfs with a large number of songs in them. In addition, the next major update (v4.1.0) will allow you to enter your own custom page ordering, so it will no longer be necessary to use images to take advantage of that.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Last question: If I'm adding a song from a book that is already on my tablet, I can't use the companion app? It's easier to type with the pc keyboard, that's the only reason I'm curious. I can't find a way to do that.
I believe you can accomplish this by right-clicking on an existing song, selecting "Copy Song", then changing the properties of the song you are copying. This should reuse the same file. Let me know if you run into any problems doing this.

Mike
(07-27-2013, 07:00 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I believe you can accomplish this by right-clicking on an existing song, selecting "Copy Song", then changing the properties of the song you are copying. This should reuse the same file. Let me know if you run into any problems doing this.

Mike

That doesn't work. If I try to edit a song, then the file is transferred to the companion app from my table. If I try to copy a song, this transfer never happens, so I can't see the file to choose the page range and such.

No worries, this isn't a deal breaker for me, and since it hasn't been asked of you before, I guess many people don't need it. I got my pedal yesterday, works great, and I'll upgrade after practice today. I'd rather have that other transfer-to-removable-storage issue worked on Angel
Thanks for being so supportive.
I have fixed this for v4.0.11 which I will release tomorrow.

Mike