• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi-Songs sent via USB-Interface to many possible targets
Exclamation 
I think there would be thousands of musicians lucky, if it would be possible to play Midi-Songs with the Audio-Player and send the Data via Midi-Interface to an keyboard, Sound-Module, Drum-Machine, or even to a VST-Instrument, which is running on another Compy. Cool
Why don't / can't you programm that? I asked for it longer time ago and I think it was on your list. Can't the Audio-Player send Midi-Songs to a Midi-Interface? Is there another problem?
FYI: https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/songbook...55419?mt=8
Best regards and greetings from Vienna
zeitlos

FYI: https://itunes.apple.com/at/app/songbook...55419?mt=8
Please  - NO!

This is a step too far beyond the original purpose of MSP and is, to my mind, a perfect example of 'feature creep'.  If you want to play midi tracks, then select a midi player from the vast number that already exist, there is no point in Mike re-inventing the wheel.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(05-11-2016, 01:08 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: Please  - NO!

This is a step too far beyond the original purpose of MSP and is, to my mind, a perfect example of 'feature creep'.  If you want to play midi tracks, then select a midi player from the vast number that already exist, there is no point in Mike re-inventing the wheel.

1.) That this is a "perfect example of 'feature creep'" is only your opinion!

2.) Read:
        http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=2630

3.) What midi-player for android that shows lyrics too do you mean? Show it to me!

4.) I think, you have no idea what I mean and what many professional musicans need!
I just haven't had time to work on this, like many other features that are on my list. It involves a lot more than just adding the internal code to support the playback/streaming of the MIDI data. I also have to add all of the user interface changes to support assigning MIDI tracks to songs, and updates to the audio player to provide an option for MIDI files that controls whether they are played as audio or as a MIDI stream. The demand for this capability hasn't been very high, so I haven't prioritized it over other things that I get more frequent requests for.

Mike
(06-12-2016, 06:52 AM)zeitlos Wrote: 1.) That this is a "perfect example of 'feature creep'" is only your opinion!

2.) Read:
        http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...p?tid=2630

3.) What midi-player for android that shows lyrics too do you mean? Show it to me!

4.) I think, you have no idea what I mean and what many professional musicans need!

1 - Yes it is my opinion, did I state otherwise? Am I not entitled to one?

2 - I have read that thread, in fact I posted in it myself with pretty much the same response as I gave in this thread. I think it's a feature too far.

3 - You could try doing your own research. It took me 20 seconds to find "Karaoke Live MIDI Player" and there are others in Google Play Store - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=K...apps&hl=en .

4 - I doubt, very much, your statement that it is "what many professional musicans need". I spent most of my working life working with professional musicians and few have ever stated any need for something like this.

More importantly, as outlined by Mike in the above post, it's more complicated than you might think and priority is therefore very low. Personally, I think it is so low that it's not even worth the effort of pursuing, but I am sure Mike would look at it if there was enough interest.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(06-12-2016, 10:51 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I just haven't had time to work on this, like many other features that are on my list.  It involves a lot more than just adding the internal code to support the playback/streaming of the MIDI data. I also have to add all of the user interface changes to support assigning MIDI tracks to songs, and updates to the audio player to provide an option for MIDI files that controls whether they are played as audio or as a MIDI stream.  The demand for this capability hasn't been very high, so I haven't prioritized it over other things that I get more frequent requests for.

Mike

Mike, I think that your solution above is more complicated than needed. The main purpose and advantage of Mobile Sheets is to store music sheets and find them easily. It is also nice to store their corresponding audio files or midi files together with the sheets. 
You have included an audio player in Mobile Sheets. That is nice, but not needed. The same goes for midi files. Mobile Sheets can just call upon Android to execute the midi file. Android will choose whatever suitable application that exists in the tablet. There are many available on Google Play. Even better would be to ask an attached midi device to play the midi file, if not to complicated.
Meanwhile you can just allow midi files to be stored together with their sheets. Thereby they become easy to find and I can pick them from there and play them elsewhere.
Are you talking about playing back the MIDI as audio or streaming it to a connected device? I already support playing back MIDI files as audio (as the Android audio player supports this), so no changes are needed there. If you mean streaming the MIDI data in the file to a connected device, using an intent to launch an external application to handle the MIDI file wouldn't work very well I don't think. That application would have to ask for permission to access the MIDI device (and you might have to pick it from a list), and while you are doing that, you can't just play your score in MobileSheets. If that application loses focus, it may stop streaming the data (most applications won't just do this in the background if they are suspended). You can already try this out by using a smart button to link to the MIDI file. If you tap the button to load the file, it will ask what application to use (unless you've specified a default, in which case that one will be used). 

Mike