• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotation rework
You can test zooming with the two page view right to see how it works. It would work exactly like it does now. If that's going to be a problem and you want to change display modes, we can talk about how to handle this, but the problem is that if you are triggering the display mode to change with a pedal, it would switch to showing you just the left page, which would slow you down if you wanted to annotate the right page. Additionally, it would have to re-render all of the pages in the entire document, causing the page to go black, and then load (if you switch display modes right now, you'll see what I mean). I don't think it would be all that nice in regular use, especially if you are trying to quickly annotate. I think a better option would be an option to zoom a page to 150 or 200% with a single gesture so that you could just perform this gesture on the area you want to annotate, it would be blown up, then you could perform either that same gesture or a different one to zoom back to normal. I don't know what that gesture should be though to ensure it doesn't conflict with any other standard gestures. I'm open to ideas.

Thanks,
Mike
Zooming in the dual-page view is how i work now, so i know how it behaves, but i often have problem with the 3 fingers tap action to enter annotation mode... I keep 1 finger tap for overlay and 2 fingers for tool switching... You told me there would be no need to enter edit mode anymore and that's great, so maybe a new action to toggle double sizing on and off would be great, and assigned to that newly freed up action slot? I don't notice a big shutdown when i change single to dual page either, even with loading whole setlist on, so i still think that would be an easier trick to acheive with a touch or pedal action instead of a pre-defined zoom burst that would require also to hover to the right place etc... What i like also with the single full widht page is that it could stay like that for as long as we are rehearsing a spot without having to do anything than writing... But if you still think that's not a good idea, we could at least find a practical way to trigger a 150-200% zoom (i suggested that some time ago, a zooming tool that we could set to any %!)
And i don't really mind to press once just to turn a page, as long as there is as much as possible actions with a pedal (remember i have to hold a double bass while standing about 3 feet from my stand that's also 4 feet up, so just one free hand to do everything!)
Just had an idea: for now, before the annotation rework, would it be possible to have a setting when entering annotation mode to choose full width view?
Since the annotation mode is indepedent from the normal viewing mode setting (always single page), it would be nice to be able to resize at that point...
Then by exiting the annotation mode (by saving/cancel or choosen gesture in pedal/touch settings) it would go back to normal dual-page view?
By choosing ''annotate song'' in touch-pedal settings, I could reach what I am looking for!
I can consider it, but it depends on the level of effort. If I add some kind of setting to control how the page is scaled by default in the annotations editor (maybe just a simple "Fit width" setting in the circle at the top left), and it just works without any additional changes, then I could slip it in an update. If it seems to introduce additional bugs that could cause instability, I don't want to invest a lot of time in something that's going to be thrown away soon, as it would just push the schedule further out. I'll also just have to use Google Translate or something for that setting as I don't want to have to reach out to all 13 translators just for that one entry.  Adding to Windows means I should probably add it to Android as well to avoid confusion. If this is going to give you something that would significantly improve the annotations functionality for you and make it easier to wait for the annotations rework to be finished, then I'll certainly do what I can to add it.

As far as changing the display mode, I can look into adding a way to switch display modes with a pedal, but it's not going to be simple, because technically it should allow toggling between any two display modes. That means there needs to be some way of entering which two display modes you want to toggle between. That sounds to me like a completely new UI component or would require the addition of a different workflow such as popping up a dialog to ask which display mode to switch to. It would then save that mode and the one that was switched from, and allowing toggling between the two. There would have to be a way to clear this though if you wanted to switch modes later, but I don't know how that would be done with a single pedal press (in a manner that doesn't require additional custom code in the framework).

Thanks,
Mike
Oh yeah, a FIT WIDTH option in the annotation editor would be very much appreciated!
And as it is now, the view mode in the annotation editor mode is always single page even if set otherwise in the view options dialog box, and requires to manually zoom-in/handgrab in order to reach the far bottom of a page for some reason (the top header, like in overlay mode), so if the view options could include a checkbox to apply the settings in the annotation editor that could be very an alternate way to address that?

About the touch/pedal display mode switching, would it be easier if it was a ''cycling thru modes'' instead of a pre-assigned mode choice?
Anyways, if there is a way to acheive FIT WIDTH somehow with the display mode options box, or a simple checkbox in the annotation editor, there will be no need to switch display modes with a pedal!
Also I can always use the action ''annotate song'' to enter/exit that mode with a touch/pedal right?

Thanks Mike, this will be a very appreciated feature for those like me who often need to add a breath between two notes in a sixteenth note passage, or to introduce a fingering or bowing into crowded old style music printing full of continuo figured bass numbers !

Dominic
MobileSheetsPro (W10)
AirTurn DUO (BT-106)
Azulle Access 3 pc stick
Philips 222B9T monitor
I've added a new "Fit Page to Width" option in the annotations editor, but it's only available when the two page view was used on the main display. The reason for this is that the annotations editor will match the page scaling that was used on the main display with the other display modes. 

When the annotations rework is released, we'll make sure there are ways for you to quickly focus in on one of the pages, whether this by switching display modes or through different zooming options.

Mike
Thanks so much Mike, this is great... 
But you're the best!
A happy orchestra player,
Dominic
I don't know if this needs to wait until the re-work, but the single most important change for me would be making the stamp mode persistent, as with the other modes. I frequently import a file and spend an hour or so putting in fingerings (violin). The need to tap on the stamp icon for each stamp just slows me down incredibly. It would seem easy to simply keep the stamp mode on until you pick something else. Or is that contrary to the way the code is structured? (Note: I am a retired IT guy after 50+ years in coding and architecting.)

P.S. Have you considered getting some help in coding?
It's not a difficult change to make, it just makes it harder to position the stamp after you place it. With the current approach, you can tap to place the stamp, and because it's immediately selected, move it with the nudge tool to get it positioned properly. I'll have to look through the code again, but it may be possible to stay in the stamp mode with the stamp selected, offering the best of both worlds.

Since I'm going full time starting in January, I will have a lot more time at that point and shouldn't need any help. I have had others offer to help with coding in the past, but this really hasn't worked out well, as they haven't been able to really commit much, if any, time. Unfortunately, the income off the app isn't enough for multiple employees, and even if I did hire someone, it would create significant complications as then I would have to be a registered LLC with multiple employees instead of a sole proprietor. 

Mike
I totally agree with a better use of Stamps as to put in fingerings, bowings, breathes and all other more ''classical'' oriented marks, and that the question is about time: the ability to choose and nudge a selected symbol from a pop-up menu is a thing, but being able to choose a reduced set of marks to place in one shot would be better by far (releasing over the music places and saves it?).
Anyways, those I deal with hand writing for now, but I wish to use more of the Stamp tool when this technique is developped in the program...

Let's all hope we get more and more users (upcoming Apple collegues?), in order to guide Mike in his development strategy.

Dominic
MobileSheetsPro (W10)
AirTurn DUO (BT-106)
Azulle Access 3 pc stick
Philips 222B9T monitor
(08-31-2019, 05:37 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: "It's not a difficult change to make, it just makes it harder to position the stamp after you place it. With the current approach, you can tap to place the stamp, and because it's immediately selected, move it with the nudge tool to get it positioned properly. I'll have to look through the code again, but it may be possible to stay in the stamp mode with the stamp selected, offering the best of both worlds."

I appreciate the financial difficulty of hiring people. (I ran my own company for 9 years.) BTW I own 3 copies of this program. I usually use the positioning tool for moving the stamp. But certainly, selecting anything in the stamp selection dialog should automatically re-enable stamp for a new entry. For example, if I've just selected a stamp of "1" and placed it, touching any value one in the selection dialog should indicate that you want to place that value next, and are not intending to move the previous stamp annotation. Now, you have to select the value and re-enable stamp before placing. 

Since I'm doing a lot of this, it would likely save me 0.5 hours a day for just that change. 
Thanks Mike, since yesterday I have the new 2.7 and I love the FIT WIDTH option on the annotation editor menu... it is great, now I don't have to zoom in and out when writing 90% of the marks! This will save me a lot of time, and make it quicker to annotate things like other ''penciled'' collegues Wink
I hope a lot of other users will appreciate that new feature, and I hope there will still be a way to switch directly from full two page view to single full width single page after the annotation rework... Since I can use the pedal to enter and exit edit mode (Annotate Song in Pedal Actions Settings) while saving and zooming, there isn't much time to gain if I can't do it anymore!

A happy user,
Dominic
MobileSheetsPro (W10)
AirTurn DUO (BT-106)
Azulle Access 3 pc stick
Philips 222B9T monitor
In addition to the things that have been said already one of my annoyances with the Stamp is that the different items to stamp are not on the same scale. So if I add something I almost always have to correct the size (a lot) which is a time consuming process.
Furthermore I would welcome a more easy process of annotating as this is always one of the drawbacks of working with a tablet. The speed with which people with paper sheets and pencils can scribble a quick annotation during a rehearsal will probably never be reached with a tablet, but maybe it could be better than is it is now. Of course, on the other hand, if a certain annotation should be erased and corrected I am generally the quicker one. :-)
(08-22-2019, 09:35 PM)domgi Wrote: a) i need to enter edit mode (either by triple tapping the concerned page when it works, but there is often a 2-3 seconds delay, or single tapping the screen to show overlay mode THEN choose annotation mode witch is a safer way, advance to the next page when it is the right side one)

A suggestion: Settings -> Touch & Pedal -> Touch Actions -> Top Center -> Annotate Song.  I then find it easy to tap the "hot edge" and grab the pen resting on top of the Surface in one quick motion.
(08-31-2019, 05:37 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Since I'm going full time starting in January, I will have a lot more time at that point and shouldn't need any help. I have had others offer to help with coding in the past, but this really hasn't worked out well, as they haven't been able to really commit much, if any, time. Unfortunately, the income off the app isn't enough for multiple employees, and even if I did hire someone, it would create significant complications as then I would have to be a registered LLC with multiple employees instead of a sole proprietor. 

Some of us would do it for free Smile  Tricky part is binding us to an NDA / noncompete, as (IIRC) we're in different countries.