• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotation function by several degrees
Hello.  It would be nice to add the function of rotating files by several degrees, since many scanned files have vertical errors, and the image is not parallel to the tablet screen.  Now possible rotate at least 90 degrees.  Thank you.
Would this feature not better be sought in a dedicated photo editor? There are lots of them available in the respective app stores or freeware libraries.

They will help with optimizing the score photos in other aspects as well, like better contrast, image sharpening, rectangularization(?), ...

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
I do plan on adding some rudamentary tools for deskewing, but they are going to have limitations. First, if you use it on a PDF, it's going to have to rebuild the document, because the PDF specification only supports rotating by 90 degrees. So this means I have to extract the images from the PDF, rotate them slightly, then rebuild the PDF from those images. Unfortunately, the PDF library I use to generate PDFs does not support compression. So this means that a file that was highly optimized and compressed will suddenly become larger and slower after deskewing. So I would definitely recommend making these kinds of modifications outside of MobileSheetsPro, preferably at the time when the images are scanned so that the PDF is constructed with the properly aligned images.

Mike
(10-28-2019, 04:11 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: .... So I would definitely recommend making these kinds of modifications outside of MobileSheetsPro, preferably at the time when the images are scanned so that the PDF is constructed with the properly aligned images.

Yes, please!

@Mike: I bet you have so many really musically relevant issues on your "if I had more time" list that I, personally, would love to see them prioritized - before you end up reprogramming the Gimp or Photoshop.

A thing that might be sensible: Choose (preferrably for-free) programs on Android and Win that manage to perform the requested actions, and describe the way they are handled there in YOUR manual.

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
Call for action to the forum users:
"Choose (preferrably for-free) programs on Android and Win that manage to perform the requested actions, and describe the way they are handled" in the MSP forum
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I'd suggest to:

# name the program for image optimization
# describe actions for brightness/contrast enhancement, image rotation, and deskewing

I'll go into the Gimp that is working on Linux and Windows, and will collect/describe the required actions over the next days. On Android I am not so familiar with the apps (as I do my preparations on the large systems). But I'd like to read some suggestions in here as well, of course!

Cheers,
Petra
Microsoft Office Lense, Android, IOS, Windows. Uses the tablet/phone camera and can output a pdf. License needed  for commercial use. Maintaining good light and camera position make it a bit difficult to use though.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
For Android users i can recommend Adobe Scan if you would like to make PDF with your phone or tablet and your Camera. Plenty of Edit possibilities, but only for pdf created with this App.
Adjust score images in the Gimp

The for-free image manipulation programm Gimp is available on both Linux and Windows, and presumably MacOS as well.
(beware: I used the German version of the Gimp, so the english naming of the menu items may not be correct, as I translated them on the fly.)

# load image in Gimp

to rotate by a few degrees:
# select by menu: tools => transformations => rotate
# rotate visually until image seems right. (Aligning with the borders of an overlapping other window may help.)

to deskew:
# select by menu: tools => transformations => perspective
# adjust visually by shoving the four corners until image seems right.

to enhance contrast/brightness:
# select by menu: colours => curves
# grab black and white points for the value histogram, and shove them both more to the center, to discriminate better between (black) score details and (white) background. To get a clearer picture where the original image's majority values for those domains lie, better change histogram to a logarithmic representation.

Have fun!

Petra
Most of you will know the free image viewer IrfanView. 

But actually you can do most of the needed image manipulation with that as well. It's small, portable and free, so well worth a look.

Recently I discovered the power of ImageMagick though. It's a command line program, available for all platforms and open source. But it's astonishing what you can do with it, especially with batch processing. I'm just a novice but with ImageMagick I've done some Image to PDF conversions, cropping and sharpening which would have taken me ages with GUI tools.
Hello BRX,

Quote:Most of you will know the free image viewer IrfanView. 
But actually you can do most of the needed image manipulation with that as well. It's small, portable and free, so well worth a look.

You are right. But for people not yet familiar with IrfanView it might help to guide them to the required menu points, to direct them to the most wanted functions (as I did for the Gimp). Personally I found IrfanView a bit confusing at those rare occasions I tried to use it. But this may originate in my non-familiarity with it ...  Sleepy

Quote:Recently I discovered the power of ImageMagick though. It's a command line program, available for all platforms and open source. But it's astonishing what you can do with it, especially with batch processing. I'm just a novice but with ImageMagick I've done some Image to PDF conversions, cropping and sharpening which would have taken me ages with GUI tools.
I put ImageMagick's convert program to work quite frequently myself, especially so for image series (partially of several hundred) batch transformations with always same parameters. But I'd regard the learning curve as *very* steep for newcomers if they only have a few pages to process. And mostly those individual sheets need individual treatment to prepare them for a proper score sheet display.

Therefore I'd rather advise against using it if you are not already familiar with it.

Cheers,
Petra
Heart 
For processing scanned pages i recommended scantailor-advanced, (https://github.com/4lex4/scantailor-advanced).

Does batch binarization, sharpening, deskew, rotating, dpi correction, despeckle,... 

I wish i had found this gem years ago.
SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab8+ - Lenovo Yoga Tablet 3 Plus - MS Surface pro 2017