• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing only part of a file
Good day everyone. I am a 74 year-old clarinettist and have just started experimenting with MobileSheets (trial) on my Win 10 home PC.
As some of my music is from IMSLP, the PDF file contains Piano accompaniment as well as the clarinet part.
Is there any way to import only the latter? (ie pages 30 - 50 for example in a 50 page file). I have done a search but, being new to this I may have missed a suitable procedure.
Another piece of software I have been trying is not successful with PDF and I have been converting to PNG using Gimp. The latter offers the opportunity of converting only some
of the pages to PDF so that deals with the problem there.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Brian
There are two ways I can think of:-

1. Display the PDF on your Win10 PC, select the print dialogue and select the range of pages you are interested in. Having selected the pages, choose a "PDF printer" instead of your normal one  (I use CutePDF, but you could also probably use "Microsoft Print To PDF" - both of these require loading a program). When the print completes, it will store a pdf on your disk containing just the required pages. Just import the resultant file into MobileSheets
  2. An easier solution is probably just to put the original PDF into MobileSheets. From the Songs tab (or any that displays the list of files), long press the name of the PDF and select "Edit Song" from top menu bar. On the Files tab, change the "Page Order" to 30-50.
    Note: If you don't have a touch screen, I would expect that you can get similar options by right clicking the mouse over the selected song name.
I expect Mike (the author) can come up with other methods

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Dear Geoff.
Thank you most sincerely. That is exactly the kind of information I am seeking. I did feel there must have been some kind of song edit but I am clearly still too green to have found it.
Best wishes.
Brian
Using the page order field is my usual recommendation if you just want to limit the pages being used from the PDF. If you view the quick guide (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/M...oQuick.pdf) you can find the section on "Breaking up Large PDFs" which has other approaches for splitting individual songs out of PDFs using either snippets, CSV files or PDF bookmarks. In the future, I will support editing of PDFs so you will be able to permanently remove pages. The only reason to do this is to save disk space and have the file load slightly faster.

Mike
(12-09-2019, 04:32 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Using the page order field is my usual recommendation if you just want to limit the pages being used from the PDF. If you view the quick guide (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/M...oQuick.pdf) you can find the section on "Breaking up Large PDFs" which has other approaches for splitting individual songs out of PDFs using either snippets, CSV files or PDF bookmarks. In the future, I will support editing of PDFs so you will be able to permanently remove pages. The only reason to do this is to save disk space and have the file load slightly faster.

Mike
Thanks to both of you. That is just what I needed (and after trying it, I feel a bit of a nitwit for not being able to work it out even although I had been wading through the 1.1.2 User Guide).
Best regards and, as I hope to be able to work out out other items myself, best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.(I have downloaded the Quick pdf as well)
Brian
You could also prepare a CSV file for your PDF and use the "Import CSV" feature to add songs one by one to your library.
A CSV file basically is a list of songs and the according pages within a multi-page PDF containing many songs.
More info how to use it can be found in the manual and in the MSP forum.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(12-08-2019, 09:10 PM)briannelson Wrote: Good day everyone. I am a 74 year-old clarinettist and have just started experimenting with MobileSheets (trial) on my Win 10 home PC.
As some of my music is from IMSLP, the PDF file contains Piano accompaniment as well as the clarinet part.
Is there any way to import only the latter? (ie pages 30 - 50 for example in a 50 page file). I have done a search but, being new to this I may have missed a suitable procedure.
Another piece of software I have been trying is not successful with PDF and I have been converting to PNG using Gimp. The latter offers the opportunity of converting only some
of the pages to PDF so that deals with the problem there.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Brian

The scores have the piano accompaniment as a separate page versus a separate stave on the same page?
Scherzo, I do apologise for the tardy reply - for an unknown reason I have been having trouble logging in and have re-registered with a different user name to try and solve the problem.
The particular pdf files I wanted to cut contain both a piano score ( with clarinet stave above the piano part for the accompanist's info), and a separate clarinet part, both in a single pdf.
I have been able to achieve what I need using the helpful ideas shown above. Thank you very much for your interest.
Brian