• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool tips?
I thought I saw a reference in the Manual to at least an option to turn on tool tips, but I don't see it in the settings and, at least running MS on a Windows desktop machine, I don't see any tool tips when my mouse hovers over a button or icon.

I am BRAND NEW at using the program, but this is the kind of beginner assistance I'm used to in Windows applications.
The reason there aren't tooltips is that there was no reason to support them on Android and when I ported the application over to Windows 10, I didn't have any tooltips I could reference. The application is available in 14 languages, so if I add tooltips, I have to get every tooltip translated into all 14 languages. That's going to require a ton of translations, especially if I want the tooltips to be more than just one or two words. For example, when hovering over the display mode icon in the overlay, I could just display "Select Display Mode" which is the title of the dialog that is displayed when you click that icon (so I already have a translation for it). If I instead wanted to provide a full sentence that is more descriptive, that would require new translations.

There are a ton of icons in the app, and other things that I would need to add tooltips for, so I'm waiting until after I've tackled some of the bigger feature requests like the annotations redesign and the iOS version. I'm aware that having tooltips would greatly aid new users in figuring out the app, so it's something I'm definitely going to do, but I can't work on it right now. I'll probably work on this around the same time that I start putting together tutorial videos and a new, simpler manual. I'm considering having more web pages explaining things than just having a single PDF document as well (i.e. a knowledge base).

Mike
(02-28-2020, 02:57 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The reason there aren't tooltips is that there was no reason to support them on Android and when I ported the application over to Windows 10, I didn't have any tooltips I could reference. The application is available in 14 languages, so if I add tooltips, I have to get every tooltip translated into all 14 languages. That's going to require a ton of translations, especially if I want the tooltips to be more than just one or two words. For example, when hovering over the display mode icon in the overlay, I could just display "Select Display Mode" which is the title of the dialog that is displayed when you click that icon (so I already have a translation for it). If I instead wanted to provide a full sentence that is more descriptive, that would require new translations.

There are a ton of icons in the app, and other things that I would need to add tooltips for, so I'm waiting until after I've tackled some of the bigger feature requests like the annotations redesign and the iOS version. I'm aware that having tooltips would greatly aid new users in figuring out the app, so it's something I'm definitely going to do, but I can't work on it right now. I'll probably work on this around the same time that I start putting together tutorial videos and a new, simpler manual. I'm considering having more web pages explaining things than just having a single PDF document as well (i.e. a knowledge base).

Mike
Thanks, Mike. Just as long as there are no icon clicks that could perform something irreversible and major without my being warned (other than via the manual Smile ) . I like to explore a new program fully without fearing any clicks when I just want to see quickly what something is. Enjoying the program very much so far!