• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MuseScore or other Sheetmusic Writing Software support
Hello.
I am using MuseScore a lot with my friends and when we rehearse our music, we often need to make changes, and now the process of changing something looks like this: 
1) Re-write music in MuseScore
2) Export MuseScore File as PDF
3) Delete old PDF from MobileSheets because we use OneDrive and MobileSheets has some weird copy thing going on i thing (at least I think ???)
4) Import new PDF into MobileSheets

I wondered if you could have MuseScore integrated into MobileSheets so that you can easily change sheet music without having to import or export anything anymore.

Thanks!
Once you import PDF into MobileSheets there's no need to reimport it again. Just create your new updated PDF in notation software of your liking (not sure everybody like MuseScore) and then overwrite that file in MS directory.

Best way how to sync MS is to create backup in MS and then upload it to cloud.
It's not possible to just integrate one application into another. otnt is correct though - if you just replace the PDF under the MobileSheets storage location (listed under Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location), then you wouldn't need to delete and reimport. Another option is to right-click or long press the song, tap the three dots at the top right and select "Swap File". You can then swap in a new version of the PDF you want to use. 

MobileSheets has to copy every file that is imported into the storage location listed under Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location due to file permissions with UWP applications. Microsoft designed their API so that applications are not allowed to access files unless the user has explicitly granted access to the folder containing those files or the files themselves. So that means MobileSheets only has permission to access a file if it is under the storage location. If you import a file from within the storage location, no copy is made and the file is used as-is. If you import it from a different folder, the file will be copied into the storage location. So if you are relying on OneDrive to synchronize files, you could set your storage location to the OneDrive folder before importing. Just be aware that this can cause interesting problems if the structure or contents of the OneDrive folder changes as the MobileSheets database is going to save the location of the files you import. 

Mike
On my Win10 devices I have set the MSP folder to a folder within the local storage of GoogleDrive. Thus GoogleDrive takes care of score synchronization. The database file mobilesheets.db has to stay in the LocalState folder and must be copied separately.
On Android I use the FolderSync app to synchronize the score files with my Win10 PC. 
Setting "Storage > Let MobileSheets Manage My Files" to OFF allows accessing and copying mobilesheets.db. I store all scores within the MSP folder in identical subfolder structures. Relative paths are the same so that the database files are identical on both OS'es.
Maybe a bit complicated for average users, but with a little bit of computer knowledge and understanding how MSP works this is a reliable and convenient workflow for me.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Along the lines of this topic would it be possible to have MobileSheets be able to import musicXML files (as this seems to be the format that most notation programs can import or export)? It's probably not really worth it without the ability to transpose or edit the score in MobileSheets (which would probably be a lot more work).
I've requested this some time ago  already (along with ABC support). You can find the old discussion in the forums if you're interested. With some freely available code it might even be not as complicated as it seems, but I can't really judge that.

Mike already put it on his agenda. But with all the things he wants to finish first (annotations revamp, versioning, iOS version) I guess we will have to wait long for it (sigh).
Yes, ABC support or musicXML would be great.

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
(06-17-2020, 06:48 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: if you just replace the PDF under the MobileSheets storage location (listed under Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location), then you wouldn't need to delete and reimport.

Sorry, I see many cases this will not work: If the modification of the score (PDF) creates a different page layout (different number of pages; other score lines on page positioning together with sharp manual edge cutting; ...) this does not work as desired - at least according to my experience. Then only removing and reimporting has done the job for me.

Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
It will work but it will require more manual effort if you just replace the PDF in the storage location. You would need to edit the song and adjust the page order to be correct to handle the different number of pages. Then you would need to go to the cropping editor and let MobileSheetsPro recalculate crop points for all pages. That would effectively accomplish the same thing.

Mike
Hi Mike,

(06-22-2020, 12:24 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: It will work but it will require more manual effort if you just replace the PDF in the storage location. ...

Please see me confused. Wasn't it exactly this what you suggested would simply work without additional efforts?

Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
What I said was, "then you wouldn't need to delete and reimport", which is still a true statement. Also, if you didn't change the page order or dimensions of the pages, then no manual edits would be necessary. It depends on the nature of the edits you've made. Also, changes are coming with the next major update that will ensure if you replace a file that MobileSheetsPro will be able to detect if you were using the full range of pages with the old file so that it can continue using the full range of pages with the edited file. The reason this is not currently possible is I don't save the number of pages in the PDF in the database, so if the original PDF is gone (because it was replaced), I have no way of knowing how many pages it had in it, which means I can't know if the page order used all of the pages. For example, if you had a PDF with 8 pages with a page range of 1-5 (you didn't want the last three pages) and you replace the file with a new PDF with 9 pages, you probably still want to use 1-5, so that's what MobileSheetsPro does. It keeps your current page order in place instead of erasing it and using the full range of pages. I also fix files with invalid cropping coordinates if the page size changes dramatically. So with the new changes, you'd just need to perform an automatic crop on all pages after replacing the file if you changed the page sizes (which shouldn't take very long).

Mike
I use MuseScore on a daily basis, almost exclusively to create the songs in my MobileSheets library. My MobileSheets Library consists of over 1000 song sheets I created in MuseScore, exported as PDF’s (nice small PDF’s BTW) and loaded into MobileSheets via the Companion. The fantasy of instant transposition or score corrections in MobileSheets was something I also dreamed about BUT knowing MuseScore with all of its myriad of settings, spacing’s, formats, etc., I quickly realized it was a pipe dream and NOT practical.

The biggest reason being unless you are using a MuseScore 3 created score, transposition can be a messy affair with incorrect spacing for lyrics and even measures within systems. You also have to initially create the score with the correct settings or simple things like stem or beam direction will be messed up with a transposition, not to mention any added System or Staff Text positioning, etc.

That essentially means, any anticipated time saving by making changes “on the fly” at a rehearsal would be eaten up by all of the time “actually” needed to make a nice clean new version of a song.

Another problem: I have all of my MuseScore files (Music XML, MSCZ & PDF for each score) stored on my PC where I do my “song writing” so I can rewrite them as I make changes or additions and back them up at the same time I back up my PC. I do this because MuseScore doesn’t maintain a database per se but instead, files reside in their saved format like any other file. The other reason I store those files on my PC is so they don’t take up storage space on my tablet that is essentially dedicated to MobileSheets.

All of this means if I “could” update a “MuseScore” file in MobileSheets, I’d also have to remember to update the MuseScore files in my PC unless MobileSheets could sync or back that up as well. If that WASN’T possible, there wouldn’t be any time savings versus using the two programs separately, not to mention the size of the MobileSheets database if it included all of the MuseScore files in addition to Library files.

What I do instead is use MobileSheets annotations tools to mark up any needed changes on my MobileSheets PDF score and bookmark that score with some quick notes so I remember which songs I need to edit and WHAT I have to edit when I get back to my PC. That takes about a second. When I get home, I make the corrections or transpositions in MuseScore and use the “Swap File” option to swap the old PDF with the new. Doing it at home also gives me the luxury of taking my time so I don’t end up revising the same song two or three times because I was trying to do it in a hurry at a gig or rehearsal.

Another thing I do often is anticipate transpositions based on the vocalists or instrumentalists I work with beforehand. So, if for example, I originally score something in Bb but I know my vocalist will want to do it in F, I do the transposition(s) ahead of time and load all the versions into MobileSheets. I have more than a few songs in my MobileSheets Library in 3 or 4 different keys and keep in mind, a MuseScore created song, exported as a PDF in MuseScore is about 20 – 50K so it is hardly a problem space-wise in MobileSheets.

One other thing...MuseScore 4 is coming. If you lived through the transitions from 1 -2 -3, you know what I am talking about and will realize functionality within MobileSheets is about impossible.
Hi Scherzo. I have used and like MuseScore and initially was thinking an implementation in MSP would be feasible. But as you say, it's probably too complicated and even for just displaying and transposing the score too much effort.

That said, for my purposes I have switched to using ABC a lot. I mostly use and need leadsheets and I probably can (pompously assuming) write a leadsheet faster in ABC than you in MuseScore with rendered results which (admittedly can't compete with all the formating a graphic backends like MuseScore, Sibelius, Finale can accomplish, but still) are IMO quite spectacular. 

A while back I elaborated on some aspects of ABC and MusicXML and how this could be used in MSP as a kind of "ChordPro for SheetMusic".

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...p?tid=4906

(Right now I don't think anymore Mike should go with the proposed SVG support but better use just the browser engine of the system in a window within MSP to use its rendering capacities for xhtml provided by the Javascript code for abc2svg and the mxml conversing code. But maybe Mike has better methods in mind)

(And I still think that it would be a major additional selling point for the launch of the iOS version if there would be an ABC/MXML support already in MSP, as far as I it would be the first sheet viewing program to have that)

And regarding keeping your files in sync. I have a similar situation I solved by putting *all* my files I use and edit including ABC files, MuseScore files, BIAB files and so on in the MSP data folder. And I sync the whole folder with all my Win10 PCs, my Surface tablet and my Android tablet. If I edit or replace a file in one folder it will be synced immediately with all the others. I'm doing the same with the MSP database, so changes there will be shown in the other installed versions, too.

There are several applications for such syncing. I'm going with Resilio Sync and am very happy how it works.
(06-24-2020, 02:10 AM)BRX Wrote: And regarding keeping your files in sync. I have a similar situation I solved by putting *all* my files I use and edit including ABC files, MuseScore files, BIAB files and so on in the MSP data folder. And I sync the whole folder with all my Win10 PCs, my Surface tablet and my Android tablet. If I edit or replace a file in one folder it will be synced immediately with all the others. I'm doing the same with the MSP database, so changes there will be shown in the other installed versions, too.
There are several applications for such syncing. I'm going with Resilio Sync and am very happy how it works.
That is what I did at first as well, but I have the way the files are structured in the MSP Data Folder. I want to be able to structure my Sheet music the way I want, that is why I am currently stuck duplicating all my Files.
Why don't you treat your MSP data folder as root folder and structure your files under it as you please. That's what I do.

Or did you overlook the option in the settings to turn off that MSP manages your folders and that's getting in your way? That's essential for managing your own structure.