• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
audio crossfade
Hi, I've only just found the forum so be gentle with me if I post in the wrong place or ask something already covered because my initial search didn't find anything.

I use MSP to play backing tracks in live performances. These tracks have click and spoken instructions on one track and a mono music backing track on the other. Sometimes during a performance I want to cut short a track or just try to generally segue tracks. I have just come across the audio crossfade function but this doesn't really achieve what I'm after because the next song guide track fades in and loses the fist words.
Ideally, a fade out of the outgoing track only is what I'm after so the next track comes in hard. This way any musical start impact is not lost and the spoken guide is heard, but the music junction is softened a bit. 

Is this possible at present or able to be considered as a feature request?
I'm assuming you enabled the option to crossfade tracks and set the crossfade duration to 1s, and that was still too long, correct? If necessary, I can adjust that setting to be a text entry setting so that you could entry 0.5 seconds or something of that nature. Is that what you are looking for, or are you really just wanting the ablity to have tracks fade out? I'm assuming you only want the track to fade out when it reaches the end and not if it is paused or stopped, correct?

Thanks,
Mike
(09-05-2020, 02:55 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm assuming you enabled the option to crossfade tracks and set the crossfade duration to 1s, and that was still too long, correct? If necessary, I can adjust that setting to be a text entry setting so that you could entry 0.5 seconds or something of that nature. Is that what you are looking for, or are you really just wanting the ablity to have tracks fade out? I'm assuming you only want the track to fade out when it reaches the end and not if it is paused or stopped, correct?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike.
Thanks for the reply.
I did enable the crossfade and the default value of 5" is actually good.
Ideally I'm not after a crossfade but a fade out of the outgoing track initiated when the next track in the setlist is loaded. I do need the incoming track to start hard at full level, but then the outgoing track fades out over it. There is important guide and click track info that must be heard in the IEM and musically this is a valid audio transition (additive mixing).

Best regards.
Bryn
So based on that, I think it probably makes the most sense to add a "mode" type setting for crossfading where you can pick from:

"Fade between current and next track" or "Fade out current track and fade in next track" (not sure which wording is better)
"Fade out current track"
"Fade in next track"

Or something to that affect. Then users could choose the mode that best suits their needs. Does that make sense or do you have a suggestions for a different approach?

Thanks,
Mike
(09-05-2020, 03:35 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: So based on that, I think it probably makes the most sense to add a "mode" type setting for crossfading where you can pick from:

"Fade between current and next track" or "Fade out current track and fade in next track" (not sure which wording is better)
"Fade out current track"
"Fade in next track"

Or something to that affect. Then users could choose the mode that best suits their needs. Does that make sense or do you have a suggestions for a different approach?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike.
That is exacally what I'm after and would definitely achieve the desired result.
In terms of wording, the original crossfade "does what it says on the tin". 

If your suggestion could be implemented in a future release, that would be brilliant.

Best regards.
Bryn
(09-05-2020, 05:06 PM)Eliloy Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 03:35 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: So based on that, I think it probably makes the most sense to add a "mode" type setting for crossfading where you can pick from:

"Fade out current track"
"Fade in next track"

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike.
That is exacally what I'm after and would definitely achieve the desired result.
In terms of wording, the original crossfade "does what it says on the tin". 

If your suggestion could be implemented in a future release, that would be brilliant.

Best regards.
Bryn

I've just been reading the thread titled continuous play which is something I would like to use.
If you were able to implement these fade options we are discussing, in the case of fade out only - would/could the next track be triggered to start at the fade point (ie 5" before the end of the outgoing audio)?

Bryn
Seems to me, from the original description of the problem, what Eliloy really needs is a fade/crossfade (or whatever) on only one channel of the stereo pair, while the other channel runs full tilt all the time.  Whether or not that is possible with the audio engines in MSP, I don't know, but I'm sure Mike will.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Yes, I think I will implement it so that as soon as the fade out is starting, it will immediately start playing the next track at full volume (because the fade out would be initiated either by the track ending or by skipping to the other track).

Mike
(09-06-2020, 05:02 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Yes, I think I will implement it so that as soon as the fade out is starting, it will immediately start playing the next track at full volume (because the fade out would be initiated either by the track ending or by skipping to the other track).

Mike

Hi Mike.
Thanks, sounds great.
I realise now that I didn't answer an earlier question from you.
I think that the fade out would probably still be useful in the pause or stop scenario (certainly in my live usage). Might it help to only enable this feature when in Performance mode?

Bryn
I do plan on having the fade out trigger when pausing or stopping. I think I would want it to function that way all the time unless users requested otherwise. 

Thanks,
Mike