• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undo problem
Hi,

Much too often the undo arrow becomes grayed out in the middle of making annotations. After the first undo the arrow stays grey and I can't undo anymore so I have to cancel and start over annotating. 
Also sometimes the stylus becomes unresponsive and it takes a few seconds for the scribble or note to appear or the two or three characters or scribble attempts show up all at once like if the system is thinking or choking ...
I have a brand new Onyx Boox Max 3,  I work on normal refresh mode (default) and no other apps are running ...

Any ideas?  I'm worried whether there's something wrong with the tablet ... every other app works fine.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
That's probably due to the special mode that is used when annotating that allows you to write in real-time with the stylus. That mode basically disables the screen refresh (so nothing on the screen will update regardless of what the app is doing), but flips the pixels under the stylus to make it appear like you are drawing with no delay. The problem is that if I do something like update the state of undo/redo, that won't show up while that mode is active. Onyx's library does not make it easy to just update certain parts of the screen, and in fact, when I've tried to create workarounds to handle these issues, their library can often crash the device, requiring a reboot. 

If you prefer, you can tap the circle at the top left and then tap "Stylus Mode" to stop that special drawing mode. You will then notice the increased latency while drawing, but none of those other issues will be present. I will continue to work to improve the experience with the stylus by leveraging Boox's library, but unfortunately their SDK is lacking in many ways and has caused instability on many devices. 

As a side note, disabling "Draw highlights behind content" is a good idea if you are encountering any kinds of performance problems. That feature requires a lot of extra processing and it doesn't work that well on the Boox. Hopefully you aren't relying on highlight annotations on an e-ink screen anyways...

Mike
(09-23-2020, 10:41 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's probably due to the special mode that is used when annotating that allows you to write in real-time with the stylus. That mode basically disables the screen refresh (so nothing on the screen will update regardless of what the app is doing), but flips the pixels under the stylus to make it appear like you are drawing with no delay. The problem is that if I do something like update the state of undo/redo, that won't show up while that mode is active. Onyx's library does not make it easy to just update certain parts of the screen, and in fact, when I've tried to create workarounds to handle these issues, their library can often crash the device, requiring a reboot. 

If you prefer, you can tap the circle at the top left and then tap "Stylus Mode" to stop that special drawing mode. You will then notice the increased latency while drawing, but none of those other issues will be present. I will continue to work to improve the experience with the stylus by leveraging Boox's library, but unfortunately their SDK is lacking in many ways and has caused instability on many devices. 

As a side note, disabling "Draw highlights behind content" is a good idea if you are encountering any kinds of performance problems. That feature requires a lot of extra processing and it doesn't work that well on the Boox. Hopefully you aren't relying on highlight annotations on an e-ink screen anyways...

Mike

Mike,

Disabling stylus mode only makes the writing slow as expected but the problem of undoing persists regardless.  I'll shoot a small video and PM you.
Regarding the highlights, "Draw highlights behind content" is already disabled. I use the highlight tool to 'erase' or hide unwanted original fingerings present on the scanned pdf and then I write my fingerings or notes on top.
I suppose I could use the pen in rectangle mode with fill in white to accomplish the same but it would mean that I need to constantly change from freeform in black to rectangle in white ...
Donner BT pedal
Quick question - I watched your video, and I see what you are describing, but if you try to tap the undo button while it appears disabled, does it not work? I just want to verify whether or not it's a visual bug (i.e. the undo still works even if it appears disabled). 

You may have seen the annotations redesign that is being beta tested (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/f...1#pid30271). I am about to start porting over the changes for the e-ink version, but once that is complete, I will verify that this undo issue is not a problem with that version.

Mike
(09-23-2020, 12:20 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Quick question - I watched your video, and I see what you are describing, but if you try to tap the undo button while it appears disabled, does it not work? I just want to verify whether or not it's a visual bug (i.e. the undo still works even if it appears disabled). 

You may have seen the annotations redesign that is being beta tested (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/f...1#pid30271). I am about to start porting over the changes for the e-ink version, but once that is complete, I will verify that this undo issue is not a problem with that version.

Mike

No, it's not just visual, it definitely doesn't work ... Sad
BUT I also have color Samsung tablet with the regular MSP version and the undo works properly.  Is that an e-ink problem then? Is that what you meant about the refresh thing on e-ink devices?
If that's case, how come this is not a problem with say, the default 'Notes' or the 'Reader' apps that come with the device?
Anyways, I'll take a look at the beta new version.
Donner BT pedal
No, this bug is probably specific to the e-ink version of MobileSheetsPro. I'll make sure it gets fixed. I don't think it's a refresh issue. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'll make sure it's all fixed for the e-ink version.

Mike
(09-23-2020, 12:59 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: No, this bug is probably specific to the e-ink version of MobileSheetsPro. I'll make sure it gets fixed. I don't think it's a refresh issue. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'll make sure it's all fixed for the e-ink version.

Mike

Yay! thanks Mike.
BTW since I got you here now, did you see my previous post?
Donner BT pedal
I did not - just posted a question for you.