• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows MobileSheets and MobileSheets Companion
Hi everyone,

I bought a copy of MobileSheets for Windows and have been trying to get it to work. I can connect MobileSheets Companion to my tablet, but not to MobileSheets on my computer.

Then I discovered this in the manual: "Note: Due to Microsoft security restrictions with network messaging, you cannot run the MobileSheets Companion on the same machine as MobileSheets."

Does this really mean that in order to get this to work, I have to have MobileSheets running on my laptop and Companion running on my desktop (or vice versa)? If true, this is awfully unwieldy. (I know, Microsoft would be at fault, not Zubersoft.)

Thanks!
Yes, unfortunately that is the case. Or you can use a Windows VM with free software like VirtualBox to run the companion app in, and then you can connect that to MobileSheets. In the future, once I switch MobileSheets from a UWP application back to a standard desktop application, this will restriction will vanish and it will be possible to run the companion app on the same machine. As a side note, with the Windows version of MobileSheets, you don't really need the companion, and anything you can do in the companion you can do in the Windows version itself.

Mike
(09-16-2022, 09:04 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Yes, unfortunately that is the case. Or you can use a Windows VM with free software like VirtualBox to run the companion app in, and then you can connect that to MobileSheets. In the future, once I switch MobileSheets from a UWP application back to a standard desktop application, this will restriction will vanish and it will be possible to run the companion app on the same machine. As a side note, with the Windows version of MobileSheets, you don't really need the companion, and anything you can do in the companion you can do in the Windows version itself.

Mike

Thank you, Mike, and thanks for the VM suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.

But are you saying that I can uninstall Companion and sync directly between the Android and Windows versions?
Yes, you can certainly do that. If you set up your library on the Windows device, you can tap the three dots at the top right corner of the library screen, then Sync Library->Sync to another device. You can set up the Windows device as the server, the Android tablet as the client, connect the Android tablet to the Windows device, and then the sync will process any changes between them and push over any differences.

Mike