• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sync library copying files that haven't changed
I do most of my edits on a PC and use Sync Library to transfer everything to my Surface Pro 7. I have over 6,000 songs, and over 900 of them have accompaniment tracks. When I do a Sync Library, around 100 of the tracks get copied every time whether I have changed them or not. I think it's always the same ones, but it's hard to tell. I can't figure out how to save the status messages from a sync so I can search them.  I can do two  syncs in a row without changing anything, and those files get copied again. I'm not sure what method MobileSheets is using to compare them, so I don't know what to check for. As far as I can tell, it doesn't hurt anything except that it makes the sync even longer than it already is.

I thought about blowing away MobileSheet's files and doing another sync, and letting it copy everything, but I thought maybe you would have an easier solution.

Thanks.
I See this on my Tablets too. As i use my own  folder structure there are always songs (and Audio fiiles) that are copied even the Tablets are in sync. So i have to delete the songs in the MSP folder and point to the folders i use. Until now i never figured out why thats the case. And you are right, its mostly the same songs.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
I will have to see if I can set up a library that exhibits that problem while synchronizing. If you have any recommendations for steps I should take to ensure the problem occurs, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello,
I see the same behaviour... It may bei caused by different  folders used for Mobilesheets files on different devices eg. the SD card in my mobile phone, but that is only an assumption.
Michael
Chuwi Hi 13 (Win10) with MSP (Main device)
Android tablet wit MSP (backup)
Xiaomi Mi9 with MSP
Desktop PC (Win10) with MSP
I already tried that. I synched my folders with the Files first with an external program. Imported the Files into MSP on the client device and synched after that just to Update the Metadata of the Files to avoid that the Files will be copied again. Even then sometimes the Files will be copied again to the client.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
(03-27-2021, 05:18 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I will have to see if I can set up a library that exhibits that problem while synchronizing. If you have any recommendations for steps I should take to ensure the problem occurs, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

I did not notice exactly when it started. I just kept thinking it was copying more files than I expected. I finally did two syncs back to back as a test and realized that it seemed to be the same files.

I did look at the attributes of some of the files. The source was read only, so I changed that. But it still does it. I would send you my library, but it's 17 gigs. I could compress it and put it in my cloud account, maybe?
I don't want you to have go through too much hassle. I need to see if I can put together a smaller library that exhibits the same problem. One thing you could do is long press one of the songs that sends the files every time, tap Share->Export as .msf on the library screen and send that .msf to mike@zubersoft.com. I can then try synchronizing that song between my devices and see if I get the same behavior.

Thanks,
Mike
Just to clarify, what's being transferred unnecessarily in my case is not the songs, it's the audio tracks.

I noticed one possible clue. I edited about 10 or so of the songs that are doing this, and in every case, under the Audio tab, there are multiple files listed, and some of them are just multiple listings of the same file. In the case of the attached msf file, it had 18 audio files listed. I also attached a screen shot of the edit of that song.

EDIT: Well, the forum won't let me attach that msf file. It must be too big or something. The forum's giving me a strange error message about the post being empty. Okay, I'll attach the screen shot and see if that posts. Then, maybe I can put the msf file somewhere for you to download.

Stand by while I try a couple of things.

EDIT2: Okay, you can download the msf file from here:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=...ob4JYdRzUV

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Did you intentionally add the same audio file to the song 18 times or is a bug with the synchronization feature causing the same file to be added multiple times? I should mention that a bug was fixed with the synchronization with version 3.0.9 (in the Windows 10 version) that was related to synchronizing songs with multiple audio files. That bug caused audio files to be compared incorrectly which resulted in duplicate audio files in songs with each synchronization. So I'm guessing this is why you wound up with 18 instances of the same audio file in your song, but I figured I would check just in case. This is probably now exposing another issue when the same file is listed multiple times in the song. I would like to know if this is any way related to the issues McAroni and Zittel are experiencing too.

Thanks,
Mike
(03-30-2021, 04:06 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Did you intentionally add the same audio file to the song 18 times or is a bug with the synchronization feature causing the same file to be added multiple times? I should mention that a bug was fixed with the synchronization with version 3.0.9 (in the Windows 10 version) that was related to synchronizing songs with multiple audio files. That bug caused audio files to be compared incorrectly which resulted in duplicate audio files in songs with each synchronization. So I'm guessing this is why you wound up with 18 instances of the same audio file in your song, but I figured I would check just in case. This is probably now exposing another issue when the same file is listed multiple times in the song. I would like to know if this is any way related to the issues McAroni and Zittel are experiencing too.

Thanks,
Mike

No, I didn't add those files 18 times.

By the way, I do occasionally sync with the Surface as server and PC as client when I make mods on the tablet, and when I was trying to figure out what the problem might be, I noticed that some of the files on the PC were marked as read only. I had not figured out at that point which files it was or how many times they were listed in the database. I turned off the read only flags and resynced with my desktop as server and that didn't fix the problem.

I think I'll delete the extras on one of the songs and sync and see if the problem happens with that song.
If I import your .msf file on a Windows 10 device, then synchronize that library to an Android device, it does not send all of the audio files each time. I used WiFi, set the "Sync Type" as "Update Client" with the Windows 10 device set as "Server", and every option checked except "Sync text display settings". I left the merge behavior as "Always use data from server". Is there anything I need to change to match what you are doing?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes, that's exactly what I have. 

BTW, just to clarify, both server and client are Windows 10 machines. The server side is a Dell desktop. The client side is a Microsoft Surface Pro 7. If that makes any difference.
I'll repeat the tests with two Windows 10 devices, but the device specified as the server is the one that does all of the processing and comparisons, so in theory it shouldn't matter what the second device is. We will see if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks,
Mike
I just tested two Windows 10 devices, and after the first sync, no files are sent on subsequent synchronizations. So I'm definitely going to need either more information on how to reproduce this (create a new song and see if you can get it to exhibit the incorrect behavior), or a copy of library backups from two devices that are exhibiting the problem. The other thing that might help is if you export the .msf file for the song you already shared from the other device, so that I can import that copy of the song on my 2nd device, and then hopefully I'll see the issue.

Thanks,
Mike
Okay, here's the file from the Surface. I renamed it with a " 2" a the end to distinguish it from the one from the server.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=...8SeFNwvDMV